Colored pistils.. which strains?

So I’ve seen a few strains that have pink, purple or magenta pistils during flower. Which varieties exhibit this consistantly? And do they shrivel/dry to orangey still? I remember getting bud with really red hairs back in the day, but almost everything seems to have white or pale yellow pistils that turn to orange now. I’m also curious if the pistil colors can be tracked back to certain regions?

2 Likes

There’s quite a lot of varieties with those color pistils in flower, they pretty much all dry to a different color though, I’ve never seen real purple pistils dried. Sometimes they can be pink-ish dried.

In high school however I specifically remember getting a bag once that had VERY red hairs, haven’t really seen anything quite like it since, but I believe strains like that still exist.

4 Likes

I’ve seen many pictures like you described, back in the day I’ve even grown one strain that did thats when it got cooler at night. But as lucky mentioned, most of the time it dries to a regular rusty color.

3 Likes

Actually I may remember seeing a pic of bud that had purple-ish hairs when dried once, I think it was Freezeland, there may be something to do with how early it’s harvested and then how it’s dried/cured to retain the color more.

1 Like

Idk what you guys are waiting for ? It’s pounds of colored weed ! Gelato#33, Forbidden fruit, Purple Gorilla, Magenta is more pinkish than purple imo.
That’s just to name a few that I’ve personally done recently. I’ve had weed that cured damn near black (the Gelato #33), seen weed try and hide it’s colors and then once you break em open, the colors are in there streaked thru out.

5 Likes

Ace’s Panama, Cherry Bomb, Poison Girl would all be good choices for pink to magenta pistils.

I’ve only grown the ACE Panama, and one of two had pink pistils. They dried brownish.

Cherry Bomb and Poison Girl (Snowhigh has on sale) would also be good choices from what I have seen. coloradosativas.com has the Cherry Bomb. I’ll be running a couple of the Cherry Bomb’s in my next run.

Here is the ACE Panama.

Snowhigh’s Poison Girl.

SnowHigh_Seeds_-_Poison_Girl_thumb

Colorado Sativa’s (Swami Seeds/Mr Greenjene’s F2)

2999076_Cherry-Bomb

8 Likes

Awesome! I’ve grown many purple and green buds, but never a colored pistil. I think thats something I do want to try growing just for funsies.

Awesome pics btw

1 Like

Do you have a pic of the ace Panama dried and cured?

Here is a pic of the Panama dried. It is a really nice strain, and super fast, relatively speaking, for a pure satty.

9 Likes

Looks nice! Thanks!!

Follow up question, does anyone have any strains that produce more red hairs at cure still? I vaguely remember reading that small black seeds with red hairs came from Brazilian lineages, but I cannot remember where I read that for the life of me, so I don’t want to go blowing smoke…

1 Like

Don’t have pictures but I have some lebanese landrace pink pystil pheno beans. And green pheno. Got em in a auction here.

3 Likes

Green pistils?

They can be pink, magenta when growing, but they almost always turn orange, rusty, brownish red colored when cured. Some strains, like Napali Pink, are more likely to be pink outside than inside from what I’ve seen and heard, but turn more orange when cured. I’m doing a pheno hunt now on some Runtz crosses and I’m leaning away from the orange hairs and have a few silver looking phenos. Its as if the pistils stayed whiteish, but the bud on the silver phenos is as developed as the phenos with the orange hairs. If someone can tell me why orange hairs are better, or any color is better than another color, I’d love to know.

3 Likes

I think it is just for fun and beauty.

2 Likes

I just find it another interesting aspect of something we can try and breed for. I would love to have a few magenta, pink or purple hair plants to work with. Over the last decade I’ve grown at least 150 plants and have never seen any colored pistils.
I’ve had a small amount of difference in whatshade of orange they turn, but always whiteish before that.

2 Likes

Personally I’ve only had pistils turn pink for me while growing outdoor. Never had it happen indoors. Dragonblood hashplant was the strain.

3 Likes

Pinkleberry from green source gardens in Oregon grows very long pink pistils.

10 Likes

:flushed::flushed::face_with_monocle::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

10 characters

1 Like

I almost forgot the Balochistan Red from Indian Landrace Exchange it is also known for having “signature pink pistils”. I didn’t get a female last time I ran them so need to run a couple more this next run to see if I can!

2 Likes