Compost tea pump recommendation

Does anyone have a preferred brand? I’m finally gonna dive in a get a decent pump and build a brewer, but even the highly rated ones on amazon have some complaints of being loud and running hot. Im more worried about it running decently cool, so it will last, than it being a little loud. Both quiet and cool would be preferable. I know Ill get some good advice on here, so please give me your input.

I plan to mainly be doing 5 gallon batches, but I would like an oversized pump, so it will work if I decide to go a bit bigger. I plan to make a brewer out of pvc.

4 Likes

I’m also planning to make one. One of these days Lol. :rofl: I had one b4, but took it down cause my solar set up had to be redesigned.

This is the next pump I plan to use.

Aloha From Hawaii :call_me_hand:t5:

2 Likes

48 bones. I got this one and put it in my 40 gal water rez. I can attach a garden hose to it and that’s how I water my garden. No more dumping 1gal water jugs anymore!!!

2 Likes

You want an airlift compost brewer… not a submersible pump. You really do not want to think about compost as “Mixing” but as adding air and moisture to microbes.

www.microbeorganics.com is a good place to read about it. Tim Wilson (microbeman from the website) tested almost every design of compost brewer and concluded that the airlift design made the best tea. He looked at every batch through a microscope to verify the microbial activity.

Here is a simple video to build an airlift. I used a PDF to build mine but this makes it easy. I have a large 55 gallon airlift in my greenhouse and a 5 gallon in my basement for indoor. All you need is an air pump.

Double edit: I just noticed that this video mentions Tim Wilson.

Edit: Here is a pump similar to the one I use for 5 gallons. My 55 gallon pump is a small compressor.

9 Likes

I’ll have to go back and look at reviews, but it seems that some reviewers said the vivosun was loud. I looked at that one and several similar.

The airlift design is better than the one that simply bubbles? Is some of that just personal preference, or is that design superior?

Edit: hopefully someone can give me a specific brand that lasts well and isn’t too loud.

my vivosun is loud compared to smaller air pumps I have the 950

1 Like

Which brand is quieter? Do you know? Are you referring to the aquarium pumps?

1 Like

sorry no idea here, i have the vivosun a uniclife and a couple of active aire’s and there all different outputs,the vivosun is by far the biggest and loudest

1 Like

Also, thanks for the recommendation and video. That is super simple to build. I’m probably gonna build 2 while im at it, one for each location.

2 Likes

Nice simple design. Mahalo for that info. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

This is some parts of my old one.

12v Air pump.

12v Feeder pump with poly pipe.

Poly pipe. Main feed line.

Spaghetti tubing to adjustable emitters.

7-32v 4 channel wifi relay and small air stone.

And it ran on this homemade solar system I had b4.

Yea I need to make a whole new setup. :rofl:

4 Likes

But damn, that looks like some ingenuity to me man. You got some skills. Most people wouldn’t attempt all that. Props.

1 Like

Much Mahalos (Thanks)

Yeah I dig getting technical i find technology fun especially if it can grow for you.

Had to make a new solar system. Now need to redo everything else.

This is my new homemade solar system.

7 Likes

Nice! My great grandpa was a rock hound, so I can appreciate the geode as well.

3 Likes

Yea my girl gots loads of um I never really seen um till i got with her. But now I dig it. I didn’t even really burn :fire: herb till I got with her too Lol. :rofl: You could say she was an influence on my life Lol :rofl:

3 Likes

If you want to make a ‘compost tea’ I second what @Tommy_McCain said. Buy a pump like he posted - make an airlift brewer. Lmk if questions. :v:

3 Likes

Im convinced of that. I just want to find a pump that will last and not be super loud.

4 Likes

I think the majority of what you are asking really depends on how much you want to spend. You can buy one like Tommy posted for like $25. It will be somewhat loud and should last just fine. If you want really quiet, you could use a pneumatic pump, but bring cash.

3 Likes

another thing you can do to quiet the pump is to put it in a cardboard box

3 Likes

OK, so under 100 bucks or so, they should all be similar.

@Who that’s a good idea, but several of the reviews on the cheaper pumps speak of the pump getting too hot. The box probably wouldn’t help.

3 Likes