Compost teas and chlorinated tap water?

Everywhere I look it says not to use chlorinated water when brewing a tea. Also, I bought some worm castings, and it says not to use chlorinated water with them. If I water with tapwater is it even worth getting purified water to brew a tea? Wouldnt i just be taking one step forward and two steps back if i brew with purified water then water with tap days later?

7 Likes

Yes! It is worth it. You just need to do a little prep work before you use the water. All you need to do is fill up a bucket with the water you want to use and let it sit for 24-48 hours so the chlorine can evaporate off. Thats it! After that you just make your tea as usual and you’re golden!

6 Likes

Would an air stone speed up the process?
I should definitely have some buckets sitting out instead of just watering right out the sink

4 Likes

As a matter of fact I believe it would speed it up, but not by a lot. 12-36 hours instead? Im not sure as I’ve never used an air stone and Im just guessing. When I cared about chlorination in water I would have 2 5 gallon buckets staggering water; 1 full and off gassing the chlorine and the other to fill up when I use the other bucket.

3 Likes

I just set two out to sit . I do have 2 gal that i sat outside last week and forgot about lol wonder if theyre good to use as long as theyre not stagnant?

1 Like

The water should be good as long as there isn’t anything growing in it. If there is, just dump it and start over.

1 Like

nope. it will have mosquito larvae in it. i used to fill up a 5 gal. jug for drinking water and let it sit with the lid off for a day to outgas the chlorine. more than a couple of days outside and i’d dump it.

Make sure your water is JUST chlorinated. My city uses both chlorine and chloramine… the later does not dissipate so I needed to buy a filter for this and it made a world of a difference.

:v:

8 Likes

How would i find that out? Water test?

1 Like

I just searched my areas water quality report and i did the word finder thing and couldnt find the word chloramine in the report. It did talk about chlorine though so i think i might be good on that

4 Likes

I’ve faced a similar dilemma and heard vitamin c powder removes chloramines from City water at a low cost, and relatively quickly. I’ve been using it for all my watering s as I’m using amended organic soil and occasional teas. The plants have been happy other than when they are in undersized pots.

5 Likes

You can look at the spreadsheet your county sends out about water quality in your area.

I don’t know if it’s bro-science or what, but I read that adding about a tsp of molasses per 5 gallons of water and then letting it bubble for 24 hours gets rid of chlorine and chloramine. Plus the molasses would be added food for microbes.

3 Likes

My plants are unhappy and in undersized pots lol. I really just need them to show there true colors before i uppot and flip

1 Like

I looked into it and no chloramine just chlorine. Im going to order a cheap air pump off amazon hopefully that is enough to get me in the tea game

3 Likes

Ascorbic acid powder.

4 Likes

Well guys i have something to confess.

When mixing my living soil i wet it down with tap water mixed with labs/mammoth p.
Sounds like a one step forward and two steps back on my behalf again. Hopefully i didnt fry them microbes.

2 Likes

One simple solution here.

If you feed with chlorine i stink it kills microbial life, so I wouldn’t. I did in the early days use a air stone for help ( at least I thought ) with dispersing chlorine from the water i use to feed.

What i use now and costs a little more but I have been happy with it.

Plenty of simple and economical solutions out there on the interwebs. :grin:

3 Likes

This isn’t new but it may help?

I use this too! But I got this filter for it:

It’s the ChloraShield. Green ring filter won’t cut the Chloramine but will the Chlorine.

:v:

2 Likes

Don’t worry about normal levels of chlorine in your tapwater. Like, literally, stop thinking about it if you’re prone to anxiety. Our soil biology is very resilient and will not be measurably impacted by chlorine.

Also, no need to bubble your water or any of those other treatments. You don’t have to do anything to it other than use it for watering straight from the tap. However, if you’re very nervous, just let it sit out for 24hrs and the chlorine will naturally offgas.

Right now, the issues you’re experiencing are small pots and big plants. Reverse that and your plants will thrive, assuming you water them with no more than 10% the volume of soil at transplant, and 5%-10% thereafter when the pots are light.

Also, some part of the issue is likely the energy you’re putting out. We create our own reality in part by the thoughts and energy we put out. Plants are very sensitive to it, as are some friends/family/pets. Think good thoughts, remember to focus on the blessings and forget all the negatives. Envision success, create goals, honestly work towards them, and most importantly:

leave it the fuck alone - LITFA.

:sun_with_face: :rainbow:
:peace_symbol:

10 Likes

I agree. I seriously need to work on being more positive about everything

1 Like