Congo trip with kidete

I hope you guys are catching Mike on IG. The weed he has been getting is from angola… So perhaps what is known as Congo Red is in fact angola cannabis? I don’t know, but he goes into some detail about why these kinshasa dealers get their weed from Angola.
A little background for people that don’t know this information…
When the portuguese first landed in angola in the fourteen hundreds they reported seeing cannabis, which was very popular in the country long before the portuguese got there. South of Angola, In nearby Namibia, pollen samples from drug cannabis have been found and they are thousands of years old. Geographically where this pollen was found, the weed it came from would be more likely to be related with Angola to the North than from anywhere South. I.e. Angola has very old and very desired genetics.

31 Likes

Great background information thanks as always @Upstate I’m so happy this trip is going so well, and happy there could be more in the future !

5 Likes

If he is only in Kinshasa… There’s still all this area left of “congo.” Seems like he is just at the entrance.

15 Likes

@CocoaCoir i agree. That’s why I said he could spend a lifetime in congo alone and still not find everything. It’s a huge country.
If you’re going to pick one location to hunt genetics, a city near the mouth of a country’s greatest river is a good place to start when in the tropics. Rivers are more reliable than roads.

17 Likes

Good point. Just seems he may be finding Angola cuz he is close to Angola.

4 Likes

For sure. I was actually hoping he could find us something from Angola. Score!
Also he is just dealing with two local dealers at the moment. Surely other dealers get cannabis from other areas of congo. Kinshasa is right on the river, So anything upstream on the Congo itself or any tributary of it could float its way there

18 Likes

Here’s where the Angola cannabis comes from…

Literally right on the border.

19 Likes

That’s really good to know
Angola genetics always are well welcome!

10 Likes

Thanks for the information @Upstate! In my head it’s playing out like a nat geo documentary while I’m reading it and looking at the pictures lol

12 Likes

Amazing part of Earth not only do I want to smoke this herb, now I’m going to go read about the Congo. Africa amazes me. Feels like the center of the center of nature.

7 Likes

Anyone see the vice special they did with they Pygmies growing in the Congo?

4 Likes

Yes, I want that “Virunga” strain so bad

7 Likes

Howdy @Upstate, I’d imagine there has to be some sort of significance to the Bantu migration across Africa and the spread of genetics in these regions. Many blessings and much love

4 Likes

I saw his update on Instagram the other day. It was really cool.

I think he mentioned what he was smoking came from the south because for it to come from the north means it would have to be transported via the rivers which is more challenging.

5 Likes

Is Kidete going anywhere near Virunga?

5 Likes

That literally looks like the middle of the jungle, no wonder it’s special, I wouldn’t survive the trip lol.

3 Likes

I think that’s the Black Magic grown in Virunga Nat’l Park.

Seems like African cannabis may have started with the Bantu and moved outward from West Africa to Central and South Africa. The earliest dates match pretty closely…I wanna say 5000 years old is the date of the pollen…but I can’t recall atm. ( it’s 4,000 years old. I found it.)

12 Likes

Not this time. Too dangerous atm.

9 Likes

No this time
Congo is really huge and not cheap to travel there
I mean the Mike’s tickets to fly from Kenia isn’t cheap at all,also quite dangerous in some isolated areas…
Definately this isn’t the last trip to Congo for Mike

12 Likes

Try to read this
My favorite written anecdote about african cannabis
I used to read in spanish on the now gone cannabiogen forum.
Truly interesting

17 Likes