Conserving clones in stasis ⏳

Precisely my friend, precisely.

1 Like

years ago an galaxy far away. when i was partnered up kinda with subcool i was putting cuttings in the refrigerator to save them so i could use them as needed. he about crapped his pants when he saw me do that. lmfao.

nobody else i knew was doing this. long story short i found two advantages in doing this.

1. i was able to save and get a 90% root rate of 60 cuttings in the fridge for almost 6 months. the refrig was clean. i did not water log the cuts. i lightly misted the bag. i also rehydrated the cuts ever 2-3 weeks.

when i was busted the cops never thought to look for cuts in the refrig when i got ouf of jail i had over 400 cuts from 37 strains sitting for my return. imo using the refrig is a great way to keep back ups to moms.

1. i received 5 genius cuts in the mail. i put them in the re fridge for 3 days. before i soaked them in kln for 15 minutes and put them in rock wool. within 6 days all 5 had so many roots they were growing up out of the rockwool.and out of the bottoms and sides.

ot1 an i talked about this years ago and we both believe that refrigerating cuts like refrigerating new seeds causes hormonal changes in the seeds / cuts…that MIMIC what they would see if they went through a winter cycle into spring…

i am getting ready to try a 2nd set of cuts that have been in the fridge a week to see if i get the same results again using the same technique.

ill post in this tread to let you guys and girls know how it worked out.

ps im not sure why no 2 is not showing up. it keep posting as a no 1. maybe i AM REALLY AM NUMBER ! heh

8 Likes

You know this could be handy to a lot of folks, except the getting busted part :oncoming_police_car:

99%

3 Likes

Nice to see others toss their cuts in the fridge…I dont long term store them but its normal for me to take cuts and then toss them in the fridge for a day or three before I stick them…learned that from my mentor years ago. :peace:

3 Likes

Hello @pi77

Moved it here, since there’s more info on the subject so everyone has easier access to it, not to mention more info.

Some people claim that cuttings root faster after being in stasis than freshly cut ones.

Thanks man!

2 Likes

Very interesting.

How does this help the cutting?

2 Likes

The biological process to which the stasis helps or aids in developing roots is unknown to me, but i have seen aseverations all over the web that cuttings root in three days or so, instead of 10 days… So i dunno…

5 Likes

It not a thing other than a place to toss them till I get to them, I really don’t try to speed up rooting or even any type of cold stratification…it just keeps them fresh till I get ready to stick clones… :peace:

4 Likes

The following might be relevant (carbon respiration invested into the root biomass):

Conclusions
Plants exposed to a sudden temperature drop delay the C transport from above- to below ground and invest relatively more C into root biomass and overall plant respiration. Therefore, temperature is not solely a driver of biological processes in the plant–soil system itself, but also influences the speed at which recent photo-assimilates are made available below ground. Since below ground substrate availability is an important driver for heterotrophic and autotrophic soil respiration, our results highlight the importance of temperature as a crucial environmental driver for C cycling between above- and below ground and thus within terrestrial ecosystems.

Have to somewhat decode what they are saying and I haven’t read the whole study but here is the paper in support of that conclusion (as retrieved from www.biogeosciences.net):

bg-11-1425-2014.pdf (1010.0 KB)

7 Likes

My kind of reading… Nice!

3 Likes

Any updates on this? How did your cuttings keep, and for how long? Thanks!

2 Likes

OMG, yes!

All of the clones survived in the fridge for like 20 days, and then on to the mister but they didn’t root faster like people say, everything normal… I sold those clones at the 710 cup to people, everyone super happy with them.

Like CannaOrganika and Awagrowers from the 'gram and even one of our own @Chaman keep clones of mine, they are all over Costa now…

Sci :robot:

7 Likes

Hi guys, I know it is an old thread, but it is the last one I found about the subject and I feel those info are still up to date.
I have used this tek to keep clones for a few weeks while away: so far I managed to keep them around one month, with decent cloning success for my standard!

I kept the 12 clones in a ziplock bag with moist paper towel around the base of the stem.
I left them in the fridge drawer set to 5°C for 4 weeks and then managed to root about 50% leaving them in cups of water. This my normal rate in water, I am sure it could have been better with little root plugs and a dome.
When opening the bag after a month they looked really fresh.

Anybody else still using this procedure?

Cheers

6 Likes

Hi tomGT, thanks for sharing, this kind of information is never old. I know people keep their seeds in the fridge so they think it is winter and then when out they feel it is spring already because of the higher temperature and it is easy for them to germinate. :seedling:

Never thought it also worked for clones, quite interesting, I will try it next time … :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I’ve got about a dozen cuts that have been in the fridge for about two months, which still look like they’re in very good shape. I’ll be trying to root then in about a week, I think. I’ll report back with my results.

9 Likes

I have a whole fridge I need to clean out for experimenting in perpetual grow, that would cure my mother and scheduling bottle necks if I know I can have one rooted in a week or so

1 Like

Ever try tissue culture? This is supposed to be the way of the future.

3 Likes

@Howard.Crane , thank you I will be looking for your report after rooting!

Could you also detail how you kept them?
In a bag I guess? With water? Did you open them regularly?

Thx

3 Likes

Here is a really good explanation I read.

Keeping your clones in stasis by using your fridge is a handy way to both store them for future use or keep backups should there be some failure with your original cuttings. I have personally kept cuttings up to eight weeks using this method.

Simply put:

1. Take cuttings as you normally would, but with the one addition of leaving a longer stem, as you will be trimming this down further by at least half an inch when it is time to root them.

2. Place cuttings in a Ziploc bag (Tupperware can be used also.)There should be enough water in the bottom of the bag so that the stems are submerged. RO or good quality tap water should be fine. An inch or two should be in the bottom of the bag, keeping the stems wet.

Breathe some air into the bag, mainly so as not to crush the leaves and provide some cushion as they may get bumped about in the crisper drawer.

**Another variation on this is to simply put the cuttings in a water glass or jar (an ice cream bucket works well too -> basically, wide and shallow containers) and have them sit on the shelf in the fridge (stems also in water). This may or may not be convenient or stealthy for you.

1. I would recommend that you replace the air and water in the bag once a week. I have typically not bothered to replace the air or water at all for up to four weeks, but I continually come across this information and it seems like it cant hurt.

2. When you decide it is time to use your cuttings, remove them from the fridge and let them sit with their stems in a glass of water for half an hour or so to warm up as you prepare your cloning materials.

3. Cut half an inch or more off the stem to make a fresh end that you will dip in your favorite rooting hormome or rooting medium. I have found that fridge clones, if let to sit longer than a few weeks, will take longer to root.

This is fine for most since many are buying time with this method anyway. Clones older than 2 weeks will usually begin to root in 10 days and are mostly established by 14 days.

*Be sure that your fridge does not have a tendency to freeze your food. It should be stable. If your clones freeze, they will die. Happy Cloning.

Author: Lothar

added notes:

The crisper drawer and a ziploc bag provide a suitable stasis chamber for a fresh cutting for upwards of EIGHT weeks. In order to obtain this sort of longevity in the fridge, the bag containing the dry, unrooted branches should be opened to breathe at least once a week.

Holding clones in “fridge stasis” offers many new possibilities for testing many different males, holding strains while evaluating, changing the way you time your mothers, etc.

12 Likes

Thanks Hugh, this will help with my overcount waiting for males to show and help schedule plants to mature at similar times for breeding. Being in-rooted plants not going against my count.

2 Likes