Cloning with a legal limit of 4

I have a legal limit of 4 plants.

Is there any sort of cloning schedule/rotation that I could utilize for a perpetual grow within that 4 plant limit. My needs are 1oz per month cured. I am assuming that it has to have roots to qualifiy as a plant, but my wife doesn’t want to take the chance on interpretation if challenged. So, limit of 4 plants/clones total.

Is the view worth the climb?

Thanks,
M

15 Likes

Not really. I wouldn’t advocate that you break the law (see how I slipped that in there) but you do what you gotta do.

Off the top of my head assuming 4 fems with my 300w setup. 6 weeks veg 8 weeks flower 300g yield. That’s like 10oz every 3.5 months so you’ll be fine.

But I don’t like being restricted.

20 Likes

I would suggest you consider what is legally a plant. Here I can have 5 plants over 5”, meaning under is limintless.

5 Likes

Fingers crossed, will read the fine print in Virginia.

2 Likes

Without taking some liberties with what is and isn’t a plant, it sounds like you are pretty much screwed. But here is something you could try, if your wife is willing to bend the rules a bit…

Right before you flip to flower, take several cuttings and put them in a plastic bag. Make sure to remove as much of the air from that bag as you can, and put it in your veggie drawer in the refrigerator. They should keep in there for about six weeks.

A couple weeks before harvest, re-cut them and put them in rooters under a dome. They should be rooted right around harvest time.

A couple of things to consider… the DEA recently declared that any cannabis product that tests under 0.3% THC is considered hemp. A cutting in veg shouldn’t test over that limit, and therefore is considered hemp, not marijuana.

38 Likes

Give grafting a thought. You can have a variety of strains on one rootstock, and take clones as needed.

10 Likes

Plant counts are BS anyway… I got 853 grams off three GFOG plants, but only 280 grams off the 20 auto plants in my beds.

23 Likes

this is the biggest issue i have with plant counts. even just trying to pheno hunt at your legal limit (4, 6, whatever) theres no way to properly be able to keep backups, hobbles you from the get-go.

11 Likes

Ohh, also maybe would suggest some nice long veg times, no autos.

Bigger the root bigger the fruit.

4 Likes

To time it right you need to know the flower time of the variety you’re working with. Dont believe the vendor on this. You’ve got to flower it yourself to know. Almost everything I’ve grown takes 1 or 2 weeks longer to reach my prefered ripeness than what the vendor said.

If you have a variety that takes 63 days in 12/12 (9 weeks) and you are staying with a 4 plant limit, then break it into 4 phases.

1. clone and early veg (day 1 to 31)
  2. mid to late veg (day 32 to day 63)
  3. early flower (day 64 to 96)
  4. late flower (day 97 to 127)

With 63 days from the time you stab a cutting, the plants will have a lot of veg time, so plan your space accordingly.

You’ll need a separate dedicated drying area. You’ll be harvesting/hanging every 31 or 32 days.

You will definitely have enough to maintain your consumption.

Good luck! Peace :v:

5 Likes

Yes total BS. As we all know from my thread I’m totally legal but if I were to ever consider possibly doing anything illegal it’s just a ticket so it’s not really the end of the world.

I’d like to see something like “4 in flower” but that’s not going to happen.

10 Likes

make it a 4 months cycle. 2 months veg. 2 month flowers. start with 1 clone, A.
veg A for 1 month, take clone, B
veg both for 1 month, put A(2months old) into flower, take cut from B (1 month old), C
veg B, C for 1 month, A (1month in flower)
put B (2months old) in flower, take cut from C( 1month old), D
veg C, D for 1 month.
harvest A(2 months in flower), B(1month inflower)
put C( 2 months old) in flower, take cut for D(1 month old), E.

and continue on and on. i hope i got my math right. good luck.

6 Likes

It will take some start up time, but you can easily get what you need with a perpetual grow. I wouldn’t clone, but rather buy or trade for feminized seeds, or grow your own feminized seeds. Grow 2 at a time in pairs. One in flower, the other in veg. Plant your 2nd pair about a week or two before you start to flower the first pair. You’ll harvest pair-1 and easily get 2-4 ounces or more with the right setup. About the same time, your 2nd-pair will be ready for flowering. (~60-70 days.) your harvest will take 2-4 weeks to cure, but you should end up with plenty for your needs. Rinse/repeat.

5 Likes

No love for plant count limits. Lame laws were meant to be broken.
Im rolling with a “fuck you come get me” vibe this year. Too many sweet mamas need knocking up🤷🏻‍♀️

14 Likes

I would say no unfortunately. That said if you grow 4 plants you should easily be able to get a 1 year supply per harvest.

8 Likes

Really you need a pound a year which is totally doable with those restrictions.

You could probably double that.

It’s nice to have extra and I find that an extra plant for hash is one of my favourite parts of growing. But if you must be 100% legal it can be done.

7 Likes

tag your extras as Hemp CBD strains. who the hell’s gonna tell you different? cannabis is cannabis at a glance. throw some seeds in clear pack any seeds and label them whatever CBD strain.

5 Likes

You could legally register a hemp company it’s not hard and you’d be able to have all the veg you want
You could be the first person with a legal 4 plant grow and 20 moms lol

6 Likes

When you read Health Canada’s and the Govs interpretation of what a plant is, it can be a seed or just a leaf on a cut off branch lying on the floor not in soil. So if it contains cannabis and is separate from other bits of cannabis they all count as plants, which is how ridiculous the governments and Health system regs are.

9 Likes

i actually know a local breeder whos registered as a hemp cultivator for that exact reason. anything that tests below the limit is hemp so all his veg plants are free and clear.

8 Likes