Continuing unknown issue

Hi OG gurus, I posted a while back about a possible calcium issue(possibly toxicity). I’m starting to have what looks to be a similar issue with my Purple Kush plant. I’ve been studying the leaf charts all morning but I’m not convinced it’s Ca related.
What do you guys think?

7 Likes

Is your ph correct ?

1 Like

Hi @Bostonbud yes mate soil tests at 6.1ph and I feed at around 6.3

1 Like

It looks like the very beginning of a lockout but that wouldn’t make sense if your ph is good… maybe a tad heavy on the nutrients? Are you checking that on a meter ?

Oops we must’ve posted at the same time… no bugs? I always try and think the simplest thing first, too much or too little nutes,water,light.

1 Like

I grow outside on my balcony in the Central American jungle so I have come to accept daily bugs but I also have predatory guys visiting that clean up for me so it pretty much stays in balance… unless I have a sick plant then the bug pressure mounts considerably.
In regards to nutes I don’t use any real brought products basically everything is made ‘in-house’ KNF ferments(LAB,FPJ,Vinegars etc) worm castings from home and regular foliage sprays using coconut water, Aloe, SST’s stuff like that. So I would be very surprised that it’s burn from over feeding unless it’s the soil mix. I didn’t mix it as precisely as I should have this time when I transplanted and it might be slightly high in lime stone, I reamended it and added more which may of been the mistake.
Right now it’s really hot and pretty low humidity for the tropics, wind is also high at 20ml/h some days. The plants get a lot of light but only around 3 hours of direct sunlight(approx 1:30 to 4:30). The balcony roof allows quite a lot of light in when the sun is not direct so they are definitely not in the shade at all. I micro water through out the day being very conscious of overwatering, that can be a big issue here in the jungle with them never drying out if you give them too much to drink.

1 Like

Hi Ian, I was going to open a thread with my case but I see it looks like we may have the same issue icon_e_surprised|nullxnull, I have inspected mines and there are no bugs, so hope adding more pics will help to solve this for good, thought about Calcium but spots are very little … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Just looks like older leaves…I don’t see much cause for concern.

Forget the “leaf charts” they’re only a hair above worthless.

3 Likes

@George I don’t think it’s the sake issue, mine starts mid leaf

I hope your right

The leaves become quite brittle also and the tips crumble easily once it starts.

Another theory I have is the lack of direct photosynthesis may be a cause too, with only 3 hours of direct sunlight and then the pressure of a really hot sun when it does get on them has caused a weakening in the plants leaf cells but that’s just a guess

1 Like

Is it on just the one fan leaf? I looks like maybe some nute tea got spilled in the leaf? I do that on occasion and I always think it’s something bad at first. It sort of just looks like it got contact burn but maybe I’m not seeing it all.

When all else fails just give it water for a few days and maybe even a bacteria/fungi wash to bring it back around from any lockout, but it doesn’t look like that.

OK, now I notice that the leaf tips are burnt which usually means you’re at the high end of what they need and can process. If you have some myco and maybe a bacteria mix to drench with, that will bring them around if the nutes are too hot. It looks pretty healthy otherwise. Since it doesn’t have a ton of leaves, and the stalk is sort of small, it may be easier to overload it with nutes. Maybe try backing off a tad to see how it responds. peace

7 Likes

I must say if you took out the few brown spots they look pretty good… maybe a visitor insect while outside. Plants look healthy overall.

2 Likes

It’s the same issue I had a few weeks back :point_up_2:t4: and yes it’s on multiple fan leaves. I’ve since changed my soil recipe for new transplants but the Purple Kush was already transplanted in the old mix so hopefully the issue is the soil and it’s now rectified. The original post was agreed it was a Ca toxicity issue but I have since had people tell me it’s a Ca deficiency so I started to question the original diagnosis. Those plants in the original post are harvested but the damaged leaves pretty much kept getting dryer and more crispy all the way to the end. Because I started to think deficiency I sprayed WCA(water soluble calcium) this week and now it’s starting again maybe it’s not connected but maybe it is and the original diagnosis of Ca toxicity was correct. Never had calcium issues in over 25 years of growing so has me farked.

I’m growning outdoor in a natural 12/12 light cycle here in the tropics so I grow in small 3 gallon pots and flip them small for multiple harvests(about once a month) so that’s why she is small and also why I can’t afford to have too many damaged leaves, otherwise it takes over fast with not many leaves to spare.

Those inoculations sound like great ideas, supplies are limited where I live unfortunately so a fungal dominated compost extract is probably my best bet and maybe some LAB.

I wish it was contact burn…

1 Like

What’s your opinion of VPD values? In creating issues like described above? Incorrect VPD values can appear as deficiencies also.

Giving what I’m thinking your humidity and temps are in your area I’d think your plants VPD is extremely low

I’m I close with these parameters?

Good for seedlings but not for mature plants.

1 Like

Interesting stuff mate, right now weather is hot but humidity is pretty low 65% or less in the night and much lower during the day around 45%.
When the sun hits them direct it’s around 1:30pm so it’s a lot of heat for them to handle

2 Likes

Reduce the calcium at night put a piece of plastic over them it’s your environment they need to sweat or leaves will do that… just run them through and look for lockout. The leaves cant do something with intake unless in a certain range it’s as easy as Indoor add the variable of control. Outdoors clear plastic cover should fix that never grew in your environment though.

I really think this might be caused by soil compaction. Simply rotating the plants can cause compaction.

1 Like