Cool Runnings

I love my t6 fans.

3 Likes
Thought of the Day

Boy, reading through the thread:

Gets you thinking, have humans been working this weed for 10,000 years or has it been working us! :laughing:

Well, it is a symbiotic relationship, but I think it is slanted in Cannabisā€™s favorā€¦
:sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

6 Likes
Nerding out on the new light

Once I hung the light I played with it for 3 days, I basically figured out how not to run it. :laughing:
What I managed to do was find a reasonable compromise between height and power.
I settled on 51 inches (1.3 meters) for the height. I can adjust it but itā€™s PITA.

Cruising the interwebs, I found a few references to power levels measured in lux. The best was Royal Queen Seeds but the others agreed with minor variances:

5~7 Klux = clones & seedlings
15~50 Klux = Veg
45~65 Klux = Flower
75 Klux = max recommended

Based on the above I set the light intensity (a la Dr Meter lux meter) to 15,000 lux on the center of the floor. Next step was to measure the intensities at 6" (15cm) increments to see what the plants will encounter as they grow.
(height is in inches and Klux for the rest of the data.)

Height Veg Fwr
0 14.7 20
6 17 22.7
12 19 25
18 22 30.5
24 25 34
30 30 43
36 37 53
42 47 60

These measurements cover the specified ranges but in order to tie them back to solid ground I next measured the watts (wall watts) for each (Veg & Fwr). These numbers include the drivers as well as the strips.

Veg = 356 watts and Fwr = 487 watts. My floor area is 16 sq ft. so that works out to:

Veg = 22.25 watts/sq ft
Fwr = 30.4 watts/sq ft.

I know Iā€™m on the low side but these should be good starting points to dial the setup in from.

Cheers
G

11 Likes

Those veg and flower Watts per sq ft are where I am at basically.

In flower I am keeping my light 24 inches above canopy, in veg itā€™s higher, I lifted it to move my veg plants into flower 2 weeks ago, and forgot to lower it again, the new veg plants seem to like it where it is, so I have left it there for the time being to see how much they stretch at that height.

2 Likes

Purp Walk!!

Time to check out the mug shots of the team. They are all showing varying degrees of phosphorus deficiency. Same soil mix for the Sour Strawberries and sativa CBDs and they are fine so I conclude the Jamaicans are heavy feeders.

Starting with #51.
This one is showing female pre-flowers

Next up is #52. This one also female

Check out the narly trunk on her!

And here is #53 (part 1)
It leapt out of the seed and just kept growing. It looks like a male (ā€¦surpriseā€¦)

and #53 (part 2)

Next is #54. Looks like another male

and #55 Too early to tell yet, other than it is the biggest nute hog.

now #56. Not a pre-flower nub to be seen

and #57. This is looking like a male

and finally # 58 The Runt. Pre-flowers are just undifferentiated nubs. It has a style all of itā€™s own!

Iā€™m eliminating the Runt from the open pollination due to all of the genetic weirdness but it is still my favorite of the bunch

Cheers
G

15 Likes

Hereā€™s the tent at the moment

A distinctly over-watered CBD3.

Back pot is a Sativa CBD
the pot forward of that are a couple Sour Strawberries
the balance are the Jamaicans

And in the front right corner, another pot of Sour Strawberries

Cheers
G

18 Likes

The Lee Valley 4" pots with your cool runnings logos are great! Love these little pots, start my veggie garden in them every year.

4 Likes

Time to discuss pollination protocol.

The aim is to collect separate and pure batches of pollen from the males.
Then apply the pollen selectively to each female.
The end goal is for each female to have several branches where each branch has been pollinated by one known male. Sort of like ornaments hanging on the Christmas tree and the present will be that the top branch(s) are seed free.

Nomenclature

I find it easy if I think of the genetic line-up as a grid, females across the top, males up the side.
The females will be identified by letters (A,Bā€¦) and the males by numbers. The seeds off individual branches would be identified at the branch level eg, ā€˜B4ā€™.

Iā€™m going to segregate the males once they are getting to flower and collect the pollen.
For the females, Iā€™ll expose one branch, pollinate with a cotton swab and let stand 2 hours. Then everything that pollen might have landed on gets misted and cleaned up.
Each branch will get a colored tie wrap that matches the male.

Rinse and repeat for each male.

Cheers
G

12 Likes

Time for a mid veg update.

Those nutriment hogs, the Jamaicansā€¦ :joy:
We have 3 males and 3 females and two undecided
I got them mostly sorted out - weekly doses of Wegenerā€™s 8-6-6. I say mostly because a couple are still grumbling a littleā€¦ Meanwhile, Iā€™m really grooving on the Sour Strawberries! They are great.

On another front, I have my first batch of clones going. I was checking the power consumption of the pump and I was getting 9.4Watts, I was thinking ā€œman, thatā€™s efficientā€¦ā€ so I went back and checkedā€¦ the VA was 24.6 & power factor of .66ā€¦ :dizzy_face:

Happy tent!

Back right corner is a CBD, two pots of SS on the right side
the rest are the Cool Runnings crew

The Clones

A bucket of sour strawberries :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Cheers
G

16 Likes

Very interesting information, I really appreciate everything you do here for us

2 Likes

Well thanks brother, I appreciate that :+1:

If I can shed a little light, Iā€™m happy.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

@Gpaw so much info thank you for taking the time to document it all :slight_smile: lots and lots of

helpful stuff in here

I will really need to take the time and not be stoned to the bone and read it all as there is

need to know things

all the very best and thanks again

Dequilo

4 Likes

I have similar numbers in my notes :+1:. Iā€™ve been monitoring my light output this grow and they seem like a fairly decent ballpark. Although I must say that I measure lux via an app on my phone so itā€™s far from accurate. I should get at least a decent lux meter (Apogeeā€™s PAR meter is a wet dream, but I canā€™t justify the expense for my micro grow), but itā€™s still better than nothingā€¦

One thing I noticed is that intense light ā€œtiresā€ the plant out. I have my bigger plant at roughly 40K lux at canopy level, and I notice the plant looking exhausted 3-4 hours before lights out (I veg on 18/6). I guess that she just gets pushed too much and I could safely reduce intensity by 10% or so:

The same plants a few hours earlier, probably around 12 hours into her day cycle:

And for contrast, this is my other plant under a blurple that puts out around 10K lux at canopy level, looking much ā€œfresherā€ towards the end of the day:

Guess what Iā€™m trying to say is that we need to keep a close eye on plant response to different intensities. Itā€™s easy to overdo it with todayā€™s monster LEDs.

12 Likes

Purp Walk. HA!! I love it!! Iā€™ve been on the other kind a couple of times, this sounds a LOT more fun. :grinning:

Man, Iā€™d encourage you to leave the runt in the open pollination. That plant has its own unique combination of the parentā€™s genetics. Most everything on Earth is diploid, it has two sets of chromosomes. In order to create offspring with only 2 sets, each parent has to reduce itā€™s genetic material to a single set, or haploid.

Haploid gametes are created by the process of Meiosis. Within that process, operations like crossing over, and independent assortment, ā€œrandomizeā€ the placement of genes on the chromosomes. That means every ova, every pollen grain is a unique, randomized presentation of that plants genetics.

IMO, the entire point of an open pollination is to maximize the genetic potential in the next generation. If you pull the runt, youā€™re reducing the genetic diversity of the strain, and the seeds you make will not have the same potential for variation as they will if you leave it in. That ā€œgenetic weirdnessā€ could produce something remarkable in the next generation.

For a breeding run, thatā€™s exactly what you want to do. Pop a bunch of seeds to find the traits you want, then selectively prune the gene pool until you can recreate that plant in the seeds.

I believe youā€™ll be better served to make those selections from the deepest gene pool you can find.

SAVE THE RUNT!!! :grinning:

11 Likes

Wow, big difference between perky and tired!

Mr Sparkle has some great info on exactly what you are seeing. DLI (daily light interval), mols/m2/day is the unit of measurement.
Nube also had some info in the LED light thread as well now that I think about itā€¦

Basically the plant can only use so many photons a day. As I understand it, in your situation, you could either lower the intensity of shorten the on time.

Lower the light intensity to 35K lux (this is ā€˜back of the envelopā€™ calculations).
{40K * (18hr-3hr) / 18hr}, 40K over 15hrs is roughly equivalent to 35K over 18hrs. The plants will grow the same.

Cheers
G

7 Likes

You know what? Youā€™re right, I will keep the runt in the crew.

The runt is looking better every day, ā€¦and every family needs a little bit of weirdness in it :laughing: :call_me_hand:

Everything I read said be ruthless but this is a preservation runā€¦
So preserve.

Cheers
G

15 Likes

Dequilo my brother, good to see ya stopping by! :call_me_hand:

I love your grow log, Iā€™m really looking forward to see what level of magic you are going to pull out of the enormous crop you have on the go!

Amazing work! :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Wow! You do some good work! Im gonna tag along and take in some knowledge if thats ok! :+1:

5 Likes

Hey @DefNSmokn, glad to have you along!
This is my first pass at this sort of project so major learning experience for me. Feel free to join in the fun!
Cheers
G

4 Likes

I watched Bugbeeā€™s videos on DLI a while back, the info is stuck somewhere in the back of my mind :+1:. Wish I had a proper measuring device for light intensity, but even with my caveman tools itā€™s obvious that DLI theory is right. Itā€™s the second time I tried pushing 40K lux and for my environment and this particular strain, it doesnā€™t help. Once I flip to 12/12 I will be able to increase lux to maintain similar DLI to what Iā€™m getting now. Your formula will help with that, thanks :pray:

2 Likes