Corm's Grow Show: Vegging, autos and clones, oh my!

These autos have been going for a few weeks already, but I’ve been having trouble getting things organized and only got them upstairs and on schedule with the remaining veg ladies two days ago. I’m trying out a 6.5/1.5/6.5/1.5/6.5/1.5 schedule, inspired by @Oldguy - 19.5 hours of light and 4.5 hours of rest per day total, but it’s already working a lot better than an actual 20/4 or 18/6 schedule. Even right before lights out, everyone is happy and reaching for the light rather than drooping like they might be on 18/6. It’s also better for keeping the environment stable, since the temperature doesn’t drop more than 10 degrees at “night.” It usually doesn’t get that far, about a 7-degree drop right before the lights come back on. I’ll have to test some time to see whether it actually translates to faster growth, since that’s the real point. :stuck_out_tongue: Here’s a group shot to get things started:

One of the Guerilla Fume. She’s getting comfortable in her new 10g pot, starting to get pretty tall. I’ll probably fim on Tuesday, since I fimmed all the others in my flower room on a Tuesday this’ll be easier to keep track of.

Two Trizzlers F2s from @Mr.Sparkle, growing slightly differently as I’d expected from F2s - the one in back seems slightly more susceptible to nutrient deficiencies, rather than excesses like I’d originally thought. They’re both a little beat-up since I should’ve fed them starting on week 3 and I waited till week 4, but I’m kinda playing this by ear. These are my first autos, so it’s probably a good thing that they’re still alive and growing at all, even if they’re not exactly perfect. :stuck_out_tongue: I know terps can change, but so far they smell sweet and fruity. If it’s also strong smoke, I certainly wouldn’t mind this scent & taste.

Two Black Cream S1s from @Nagel420, a week apart. Actually, six days apart, the one on the right went into soil on 12/23 and the left on 12/29. That one week makes a hell of a difference…

The Black Cream S1 on the right is coming in with pre-flower balls on the bottom few nodes. @ReikoX, you’ve mentioned a few times that your Ghost Rose does the same thing; have you run into any other autos that do this? Is it a ruderalis trait in general? I’m not seeing any other balls, and the upper nodes are coming in as full female flowers. The next two pics are the third node from the bottom and the top node, respectively.

GG4 RIL from @justdrew via @GCBudz, finally rooted and on day 2 in soil. She took about 2 weeks to start showing roots and 3 weeks to fully root, and the other one still isn’t fully rooted… dunno if it’s my technique, but they definitely didn’t root as fast as yours did. Still, it’s done, and that’s the important part.

Hawaiian Princess (MWCB x C99) from @Donnie. Apparently he came through on the Freakers preservation of that Arakku Valley strain despite being suspended, so I’m a bit more inclined to take this into flower if it ends up female and see what happens. The fact that he followed through is a mark in his favor, for sure.

Another Guerilla Fume, looking like a clone of the first. :wink: It is, so I guess that’s not exactly a surprise, especially considering this is a F1 true hybrid so they’re all pretty similar. Same as the other, I’ll be fimming her on Tuesday and sending her into flower about two weeks after that. I have some Lemints pollen from @corey in the freezer and I’ll hit her with it when the time comes - speaking of, I forgot to DM you, thanks again for that! I’ll be sure to collect some seeds for you to do giveaways as well as hopefully having enough for a private stash.

The aero cloner is still leaking, this gasket maker doesn’t seem to have worked. Not perfectly anyway, it might be leaking slower… still needs regular maintenance though. It’s not where I want it yet, it’ll get there eventually and a lot cheaper than the $150-200 cloning machines you can buy. Anyway, from left to right I’ve got 3 Gorilla Bubble clones, 3 Foxtail Skunks, 1 GG4 RIL, 1 Tony Greenhand random #1, 3 Blueberry, 2 Tony Greenhand #2 (self-topped), 3 Spirit Train F2s. I’m certain at least 2 of the Foxtail Skunks are starting to root already, and I think the other GG4 RIL is as well. Starting to get more comfortable with this thing, and once it stops leaking I think I will be. Definitely cleaner and simpler than the rooting cubes and prop tray, though, after the setup is done - they required pretty regular maintenance and cuts didn’t stay nearly as healthy for as long. Not entirely sure wth I’m gonna do with all these clones, but I guess that’s a good problem to have. :wink: If their mothers all make it through this run without herming, maybe I’ll run them with the GG4 RIL and do a preservation of these A5/Thai x SSH from @DougDawson alongside as well, end up with a preservation and a bunch of fun Haze crosses. Then again, they’re Hazes, I could probably do two runs of indicas while they’re flowering. :stuck_out_tongue: I’d chop the males after the females are seeded though, so the second run would be sinsemilla. Doesn’t sound like a bad plan, if I actually have the space.

Thanks for reading my long, rambling stream of consciousness and looking at all these pretty pictures with me, you’ve been great! @Slick1, if you’d like to read along as well I’ll try to make more dick-related puns along the way. :wink: That, or maybe you could name one of my crosses something obscene some time… you probably will whether I invite you to or not, won’t you?

I’ll try to do weekly updates, but who knows how long that’ll last. It might not even last a week before becoming bi-weekly, then monthly, then quarterly updates that just skim along the bottom line for the shareholders to have their proxies sign.

31 Likes

Challenge accepted! “Festering Anal Cyst” has a certain ring to it…

6 Likes

Only seen it on the Ghost Rose or its crosses.

2 Likes

Interesting. Other than both being autos, and a distant relation to Black Domina, I can’t find any connection between the two strains. I was already planning to keep an eye on it to see if it shows any more balls, on the off chance it’s an actual herm coming from a feminized seed, so I guess I’ll continue to do that and pluck these lowers off before anything gets close to popping.

Meh. It’s obscene, but it’s not clever… not your finest work. I give it a B-, but thanks for trying. :wink:

6 Likes

Oh no clever involved, just a gross name. Clever takes 3-5 business days.

7 Likes

Support those Guerilla Fume’… i double trellis them. I have 3 left, all about to finish… think i’ll run the Dog Patch after my road trip.

The Glue cuttings were from a plant that had been switched to 12/12 a week prior… thats the cause of delayed rooting i bet. I’ll be tearing open my pack of reg’s also when i return, Drew was very cool about handing out the fem’d plant so i could run some now.

Was good to meet up with ya, look fwd to meeting more of y’all locals this summer.

2 Likes

Oh, do they have a habit of getting too stretchy to support themselves? That’s interesting, I thought that was usually a more sativa thing and they’re pretty heavily indica. I typically put a tomato cage in all my pots before fimming though, gives me something to work with to spread the branches out. I can use twist-ties to support branches too, if need be; and worst case, I can always start putting eyehooks in the beams on the ceiling. I’ll figure something out, probably not a trellis exactly but it’ll get the job done. Appreciate the warning, I would’ve done it without expecting to actually need it on this plant so I would’ve been somewhat surprised - just not unprepared. :slight_smile:

Hopefully when you get back, you’ll have access to more cuts of the Guerilla Fume if you want them, I plan to clone this one in a few weeks once I have more room in the cloner… waiting on a few more bags of growstone to arrive so I can make up some more pots, but that won’t take more than a week and by then the Foxtail Skunk should be ready to go. Maybe the Spirit Train too… I can’t tell what’s going on with them, the buildup from the willow sludge is so thick around their stems. They seem moderately happy still, so I guess I’ll just LITFA even though I’m starting to wonder. Anyway, no guarantees whether nature cooperates, but I’m planning to keep the Fume alive for a while. Same with the GG4, at least until I open my own pack to start hunting for a dome-top.

2 Likes

I’ll be ok on the Fume’, I ran it for better than a year and have some F2’s from another OG buddy @kndreyn … he’s also doing a Fem’d Double Krush project for he and i. He’s said the DK is outstanding as well…

Lucky Dog seed company has a listing of “Chemdog” flower available, if it’s the original cut i’ll be grabbing some when i get to Bozeman. If it’s the Fume’ i’ll still grab a bit to see how it’s supposed to be grown… lol. I’ll be stocking up with a few of his offerings including beans… and i NEED a t and hoodie.

Why dome top? Did Tony say something about it being a keeper or just a rarity in the RIL? Think i need to re-read his thread.

1 Like

Not really about it being a keeper per se, but just mentioned that it’s rare to get two in one pack and that it’s probably a chem-recessive genotype with deep, heavy indica smoke. I don’t always want indica, but when I want indica I usually want a heavy one. :slight_smile: I honestly have no idea whether it’ll be better or worse for me than the standard GG4 I’ll get from our cut, but it sounds different enough to make me curious.

Here’s hoping their Chemdog flower is from the original cut, and that you find a few bag seeds along with it. :wink: There’s a bunch of other Chem 91 bx’s - I even have a pack of what I gather is one, Ice River Genetics’ “Chem 91 IBL” which is apparently (Chem 91 x Chem 91 SKVa) bx SKVa or something like that. Kinda similar to that Double Krush, now that I look at it… SFV’s a chem hybrid as well. Not many S1s other than CSI’s though. I guess bag seeds aren’t necessarily herms from the same strain though, they could be growing several different strains at once.

2 Likes

I dont know how to quote a post here…

"Here’s hoping their Chemdog flower is from the original cut, and that you find a few bag seeds along with it. :wink: "

Wouldn’t that be ironic, finding bagseed from Chemdog…

Iv got the feeling it’s actually the Fume’ but I believe Pbud is running the real deal in Florida for his employer. I could be FOS and I dont claim to know for sure… but that’s my uneducated opinion right now. Guess I’ll find out soon enough.

1 Like

Probably about time for an update. Things are moving along. Everyone is still happy with their power-nap schedule, the temps are staying within 7-8 degrees difference at most, and it’s easier for me to deal with since I never have to wait more than 2 hours for the lights to be back on if I actually need to do anything in there. I usually don’t, other than taking a look every day to be sure everything’s still on track. I can give them about a week’s worth of food at a time without having to worry much about bad bacteria, which is at least a decent balance and gives me time to go anywhere if I actually wanted to. :stuck_out_tongue: Once or twice a year I actually want to be away from home for more than a day at a time… anyway, group shot to start again.

Trizzlers F2s - both appear to be done growing and moved onto full-time bud formation now, not that there’s gonna be much. Not sure whether to hope they take a while longer to get time to fatten up, or just finish up already… Not sure how long this strain is supposed to run anyway, these were germinated on Dec 13th-15th? Something like that. So that makes them about 6 weeks old. I’d assume they’re at least 60-day, and might go as long as 90 based on the parents’ 72-82. I’ll keep feeding them and see what happens, at any rate.

The Black Cream S1s seem to be doing quite a bit better without mistiming their first feeding… they’re still not going to be breaking any records, and it might be that I could stand to start feeding them even earlier, but at least this way they’ve continued growing while they start going into flower. As I mentioned last week, the one in front is a week behind the one in back. Still no sign of any more balls on either of them, which is good.

GG4 RIL in front, Hawaiian Princess in back. I’m planning to give the Hawaiian Princess about two more weeks, then transplant to a 10-gal pot… another two weeks to settle down there, then topped, then another two weeks to recover from that and down to the flower room. Does that really work? Hmm. 6 weeks, plus 10 weeks in flower, means I wouldn’t be done flowering until June if all goes well. That doesn’t sound like it’s gonna work. I’d like to cut a month off that, ideally. Maybe I’ll start making up some fresh soil to transplant her today or tomorrow, let her recover for a week, top, take another week and then see where I am. I’ll also take a clone today and put it in a rooting cube downstairs… since I just realized I don’t actually know whether this is a “her” or not. Could be another male. For right now, I’m not going to think about what to do with the RIL for the next three months while the flower room is occupied. :wink: I’m sure she won’t get impatient in this 3 gallon pot… really!

The two Guerilla Fume are still basically identical, and running on the same schedule. Topped them early last week, so they’ll be up here recovering and filling out further until Feb 12th because that’s when it should work out most convenient to move them. Then I’ll put them right into the flower room, which should have them on the same three-month schedule as all the rest.

The aero cloner… it’s quite obvious which ones have fully rooted, I suspect. :wink: I haven’t actually looked since last week, since the kinks seem to have been worked out to let this run without needing that much maintenance. I added an extra quart of water this morning, with kelp extract mixed in at about the same ratio I use for my foliar sprays. We’ll see if that kills them, or just makes them bush out even more. Not sure what I’m gonna do with all these clones either, there’s no way I’m gonna have room for all of them downstairs while doing a preservation run too. Maybe I’ll just let them grow and take clones of the clones while they’re still in the aero cloner, then just to be safe root the clones before killing the original clones? :stuck_out_tongue: I’m also gonna say clones a couple more times…

Sorry… here are my clones, looking a lot less like stormtroopers. Except those Foxtail Skunk clones, they look kinda like stormtroopers. They’re going to take over the cloner if I don’t do something about them, at any rate… everyone else is alive, which is good, but if I had to guess I’d say none of them are fully rooted yet.

5 Likes

Damn man you’re not fuckin around are you? :laughing:

I also thought the Foxtail Skunk said Fatal Slut at first. Not a bad name idea though.

2 Likes

The clones, you mean? Most of them are probably going to get tossed unless someone local wants them, I don’t think I’m gonna have room to keep more than one each of the Foxtail, Spirit Train, Blueberry and Gorilla Bubble plus that other GG4… but yeah, this should be a fun year. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m planning to do at least one preservation run in the tent, on what may or may not be Kwazulu landrace seeds… either that, or they’re Durban Poison. Bought them from World of Seeds, but @Upstate says their Kwazulu aren’t pure and are more likely to be Durban Poison. Either way, I’m planning to run five of them in the tent and then downstairs I’ll have the five clones I listed, ten of another strain for preservation, and 2 more fems from seed. Not gonna have room for more than 18 plants down there, since I like to give them space. I haven’t done an update on my other thread this week, but here’s a teaser on what the Foxtail looked like this morning… not bad for three weeks into flower. :slight_smile: She’s as tall as I am, counting the pot & root system.

I haven’t decided on the other preservation - I might do an indica instead of the (A5/Thai x SSH) F2s I was considering running. I’m not sure what qualifies for the co-op runs when it comes to landraces, or if homemade crosses are eligibile for the co-op - the Kwazulu is being sold by World of Seeds, but it’s a landrace. They can’t exactly claim to be the breeders of that, does that mean it’s ok to do a co-op run? Or if I decided to run, say, @JustSumTomatoes’ Orange Grove, assuming that’s ok with him would that be eligibile? Fairly sure it’s homemade and so he’s the breeder, but it’s a stable strain that seems to have been a useful breeding tool for others, and would be good to get out there. If I run them I’d be doing a seed run for myself, might as well share… but I can’t remember ever seeing a homemade cross preserved in the co-op runs before, and I’d like to run at least one strain that qualifies. I don’t expect you to know, of course, just thinking out loud. :slight_smile: If that one doesn’t work, there’s always 88G13HP. Hazeman’s not the breeder and was explicitly asked not to sell it, so I don’t think I have to honor his wishes as far as a preservation. Lots of other options too, though. Anyway, yeah, definitely busy down here. Who woulda thunk, when I posted this first picture four months ago?

10 Likes

I was talking about the whole damn operation. I would unburden you of some clones if I had enough time left here to grow them but I unfortunately do not.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s unfortunate. :frowning: Any idea where you’re going yet, at least which state?

1 Like

I’m trying to stay local if I can help it. It’ll be down to what’s available in my price range and enough room to park some trucks and store my equipment. Those two things are working against each other hard though :neutral_face:

1 Like

I hear ya, cost of living around here is not kind to us. I wouldn’t mind moving myself, other than the whole part where I’d actually have to get this place cleaned up and get a new house set up. Never gonna be free to grow like I want around here though, and the taxes are ridiculous. I pay almost as much in property tax as rent on a 2-bedroom apartment in another state, not to mention income tax to double up on the first. On the plus side, the roads actually get plowed here… as you obviously know, heh.

2 Likes

Please feel free to run the Orange Grove, make more to pass around, do crosses with, or to take cuts of and pass around. You have my full permission and I encourage it. Good weed belongs to the people. I also have more available if you or anyone else want some. And yes, others and myself have found it to be desirable to breed with.

7 Likes

I grew 5 orange Grove and just my luck @JustSumTomatoes , they all were male. And 4 of 5 of my chainmail f**kvest were too. Lol. There’s a great variegated chainmail male that I just culled because none wanted it.

5 Likes

Sorry about the sausage fest! :joy: I don’t advise you ever waste money playing the lottery. The force is not with you lol.

4 Likes