Coronavirus Facts and Fiction - January - May 2020 [Closed]

Freezing will preserve the virus is my understanding

1 Like

Freezing does preserve that’s how viruses are stored in cryogenic storage.

It’s also why people are worried about the perma frost thawing as it contains things like small pox, which will be released back into the environment as well as some we don’t know about from before the last ice age.

4 Likes

It would be nice if we had a definitive answer to whether this thing is able to be aerosolized (as opposed to droplet). Would make a huge difference in what type of eye protection would be needed.

3 Likes

I am pretty sure during height of infection in wuhan they determined sealed eye protection was necessary for medical personnel.

2 Likes

Yes, most people don’t even think about their eyes or wearing protection from a sneeze or cough. Don’t touch them before you wash your hand. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t touch them after you clean your hands. My eyes have been sore for a week after I rubbed them about an hour after using hand sanitizer.

6 Likes

Don’t think viruses killed by cold for years scientists have feared that as the world warms up that viruses that we thought had been eradicated would reappear.

1 Like

That’s what is unclear but an important question since most folk are not going to have sealed eye protection (if they even have a mask). CCP may have been using the most precautionary measure.

The “six” foot social distancing assumes droplet transmission which is what has been suggested as being sufficient. Aerosolized is an entirely different beast. E.g. hazmat time.

Some, I’d say anecdotal, information suggests droplet (e.g. the bus study) while other information suggests aerosolized (e.g. moving throughout sealed building).

Hard to know “how seriously” to prepare when we have to venture out into the nether regions. Want to keep “safe” but also don’t want to walk around with a PAPR at the grocery store :open_mouth:

3 Likes
3 Likes

My wife went to the grocery store the other day and wore an N95 mask with a face shield and nitriles. I think face shields are underrated as PPE.

7 Likes

My sister in law is a front line nurse. Her husband got a donation of raw material (polyethylene?) for his 3D printer and has printed 20 face shields for her.

Pretty clever.

8 Likes

Freezing was something some one said in a video I saw.
Freezing deactivates the virus, doesn’t kill it.

Anyway, Stanford released this a couple days ago:

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fstanfordmedicine.box.com%2Fv%2Fcovid19-PPE-1-1

Save the alcohol for disinfecting your liver.

BTW the tests haven’t been run with actual wuhan virus, the tests in the image are for e.coli. which is a bacterium.
Also this warning:
Do not use anything in your home to disinfect contaminated equipment. Please do not heat your masks in a home oven!

1 Like

Scrolling through Facebook just found this.

6 Likes

Misleading title but Vitamin C being used alongside hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin to treat Coronavirus.

8 Likes

Just like the 39 million facemasks the Dems had hiding.
Just like the bullshit in Puerto Rico where they supposedly got nothing but it was hidden in warehouses.

2 Likes

They did that shit in Puerto Rico to try and make Trump look bad for not helping after the last hurricane. They found warehouses full of supplies sent that the Dem governor hid in warehouses. Ironically how she got caught was she did one of her videos bashing the help they were supposedly not getting being videoed in front of hundreds of pallets of water

2 Likes

For some reason I had Costa Rica on the mind

2 Likes
3 Likes

That’s good to know, I was wondering how they could say a vaccine would work if you can get re infected by the same virus which means no immunity. So looks like once you recover from this you’re safe and no vaccine is needed.

4 Likes

here’s an idea for making face shields
it’s in Spanish but easy to understand

3 Likes