Current Michigan MMJ Laws and Initiatives

I’ve been having a tough time finding organized MMJ info, so, I thought I’d put all Michigan MMJ info in one topic, to make it easier for all to find. @LemonadeJoe, pls move this topic if there’s a better fit elsewhere on OG. I’ decided to post links to the info, rather than 35 pages of text. There are 3 Public Acts governing Medical Marijuana in Michigan… one is dependent upon the others.

P.A. 281 https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(vogrrylp4rxongxagymo4lra))/mileg.aspx?page=MclPASearch
P.A. 282 https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(vogrrylp4rxongxagymo4lra))/mileg.aspx?page=MclPASearch
P.A. 283 https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(vogrrylp4rxongxagymo4lra))/mileg.aspx?page=MclPASearch
If anyone wants an easy to read pdf of the laws, PM me.

One recreational ballot initiative was rejected by Gov. Snyder (1 day before the deadline, hmmm).

There is a current ballot initiative https://www.regulatemi.org/initiative/ legalizing recreational use, which should pass in November if “Outgoing” Gov. Snyder doesn’t intervene again.

MILegalize https://www.milegalize.com/ is a good source on Michigan’s legalization efforts.

MMP.org https://www.mpp.org/?s=Michigan, is another good source for up-to-date info, not only for Michigan, but all states that have initiatives or legislative action pending.

I hope this info helps clear up questions of where Michiganders stand (legally) and what we’re up against!

4 Likes

The change will come when enough of us are well organized.

This sort of posting will certainly help.

Thanks @Yooper63

1 Like

excellent stuff - that initiative in November is really important for the whole country! Can you tell us about the home-growing rules in the referendum?

edit, I couldn’t wait, here it is - basically the same thing as Mass. except you’re allowed more in the car - 2.5 oz. You get the critical “and any” provision that allows home growers to possess unlimited weed at home - and 12 flowering plants, not a bad deal:

possessing, using or consuming, internally possessing, purchasing, transporting, or processing 2.5 ounces or less of marihuana, except that not more than 15 grams of marihuana may be in the form of marihuana concentrate; (b) within the person’s residence, possessing, storing, and processing not more than 10 ounces of marihuana and any marihuana produced by marihuana plants cultivated on the premises and cultivating not more than 12 marihuana plants for personal use, provided that no more than 12 marihuana plants are possessed, cultivated, or processed on the premises at once;

2 Likes

If passed, it would be a very positive change from the Draconian restrictions we have now @Muleskinner. It’s not perfect, there are some grey areas where they gotcha. But they relate to the 3 intertwined public acts. As it stands now… I get stopped, show the cop my MMMJ card & 1/4 oz of weed. If the weed is from a dispensary and properly labeled, you’re good to go! If it’s not labeled, you’re free to go, but you should expect a visit from the sheriff at home within 48 hrs. “It’s just a compliance check”, yeah right.

Well said, we should all support our state and national pro-cannabis organizations.

1 Like

it sounds like the medMJ program is horrible, that’s the best part of legalization is that it’s also medical marijuana legalization. No more having to worry about some bogus registration process with the state.

Not quite @Muleskinner. The dispensaries will have a separate section (the supposedly good stuff) for MMMJ cardholders only, for those that don’t grow. Presently, many disp. require membership for $10 and assign a caretaker to you. The caveat is… you just lost your home growing rights. That $10 is the states fee to change your card. Really sneaky if you ask me.

As for the cops, we’re just like any other state… “Asset Forfeiture” is the aim of their game.

1 Like

I was willing to pay the $200/year to a cannabis doctor to be a “certified patient”, but I couldn’t bring myself to register with the state to use cannabis. Legalization took care of everything for me. It looks like the only difference between medMJ and “legal” here will be the 23% tax on the “legal”

2 Likes

Hmmmm

We have some danks tho

thanks for posting this

At least you had a choice. $160 covered the Doc & state fees in one visit, and he must file the paperwork with the state. You get a 30 temp slip so you can hit the disp. right after you leave his office.

1 Like

I think this is way it works in Mass. nowadays, we had a 1.5 year period when you didn’t have to register with the state, then it ended. It remains to be seen how many people will use medMJ once the legal stores get going.

1 Like

We’ve got non-drinkers running the Liquor Control Commission, and anti-smokers writing MJ regulations. Typical of gov’t.

And that shows what a mess it is. I paid $160 for the doc & State for DH and $25 State so I can grow and be his Caregiver. I didn’t get a 30 day temp and had to wait until the State approved us both to buy. I had to submit the paper work too.
They did give me copies of Act# 460, 512, 513, 514 and the MI MM Act that is 11 pages long.

He is a piece of work and would have stopped MMJ totally if he could.

I can have 2.5oz in a locked box and 12 plants (each) and it doesn’t have to come from a dispensary. How come your different?

Could this be the reason?

1 Like

I have been rereading all the paperwork and boy what a confusing mess. It might be. I didn’t even understand about the caregiver thing. I am my husband 24/7 caregiver and thought that was what the where getting at. Also my card allows me to grow his meds - 12 plants and get product from the dispensaries, Now I have my own patient card and can grow my 12 plants. I couldn’t see myself growing 24 plant. But, :lollipop::cake::cookie:

2 Likes

It all depends on the zealousness or quota of the cops. All parts of the plant (except roots, stems & seeds) contribute to the 2.5 oz. limit. Some depts. use dry wt., some chop it & use wet weight, some count the # of plants & don’t bother to weigh them. It’s a crap shoot up here. The prevailing attitude among LEO is “If They’re Growin’, They’re Probably Cookin’ too”. Meth lab busts locally average 2 a month. You’re already a suspect.

Congrats on getting your own card. I won’t give up my cpl. 5 oz & 24 plants… You’re Golden :+1:

Yeah now I can’t get a new :gun:

If your head is spinning from rereading PA 281 - 283. The State issued Emergency Orders effective Dec. 20, 17. The State recently changed the link to a readable page. I’ll try to post a link to the legislative site. The 3 inter-dependent PA’s were, imho, more or less, a final draft of the MMJ legislation. Why else would the EO be 33 pages of definition and clarification?

Nothing wrong with a lightly, used one! I like the quality of older :gun:

1 Like

Ballot Initiative Update: The GOP wanted to suppress voter turnout in November. The MI. Dems stopped the GOP run legislatures’ attempts to legalize Recreational use, there-by negating the need for a ballot proposal, before the June 12th deadline. The unaltered Proposal will be on the Nov. 12th. ballot! HOORAY! :joy:

3 Likes

Its definitely looking up, cant believe it’s only a month away. Managed to get my card back in may and went with being my own caregiver which has been nice considering all the dispensaries in my area have been raided and shut down over last few years.

1 Like