DaFozz's Skywalker OG Experiment

That canopy is nice and packed, looks great. That solo tek is good stuff btw, but mega crop is even better. I think you made the right call.

For sexing, taking a clone and sexing it is usually easiest. Reveg can be touch and go and takes longer than rooting a cutting usually anyways.

5 Likes

Thanks @beacher… I will count the back left corner that is bare as operator error… lol

At some point along the way I had to decide to let them do their thing and apply LITFA along the way, as much as possible.

I have revegged many years ago after sexing, and I agree it does take awhile. I am going to rely on the clones that I have taken to show, then determine what to do. If it’s F then I wouldn’t mind trying a run this summer just to see what the hell it is, and if M I wouldn’t mind taking some pollen to fool around with in the future…

I wasn’t sure about the solo tek, but from my limited knowledge of nutrients it seemed like the best option at the time. When my MC arrived I was only into maybe 2 feedings with the ST, and being my first grow in a looong time I just wanted to KISS as much as I could. I will give the ST a try, just not until I get a better handle on nutrients and how they affect the plants.

Always learning, but not always remembering lol…

Peace
DaFozz

8 Likes

Just wanted to do a bit of an update, seeing as how Mona laid down a nice 4" blanket of snow on us again… Just when things were melting good… Actually looking forward to raking, shoveling dirt, even weeding (lol) etc… I would rather it go slow and steady than quickly as it will save a lot a people grief from flooding in this area…

Anyways, just starting Week 4 of 12/12 and they seem to be holding up pretty good. I haven’t been doing much in the way of anything special. I have been adding about 1/2 tsp of Epsom Salt/Gallon with my Mega Crop dose (6 g or 1 tsp), as there is some yellowing. I was adding CalMag for a bit but it wasn’t seeming to help much so I thought I’d try some Epsom instead. It has improved a bit I think, but I am not too overly concerned about it yet… A little bit of defoliating and thinning out to improve airflow a bit, as I found that the 2 pots on the right were slower to dry. I have an old PC fan that I may put under the canopy, to get a bit more air movement if needed, I’ll just have to keep an eye on it. And I lowered the one set of lights to maybe help out a bit in the “bare” corner. It’s starting to get a bit of a stadium effect, so I know I will have to play around with light position in the cabinet to even it out… Another little tweak to play with…

Gave Momma and her daughter a bit of a haircut as they were starting to get close to the lights, gave my Unknown Plant a new tie down, put the fan back in the corner as I had taken it out for a bit, and a quick tidy up in the Mother Chamber…

My 3 attempts at HST have survived thus far, so that’s a promising sign at least…

And a shot of a few stragglers in my little Veg Chamber. A few cuttings under the blue dome in the Rubbermaid. A few from a test I am trying, and 4 from my Unknown Plant.

This may be of interest to @Tinytuttle , as after reading his suggestion of trying a cutting at 12/12 to determine sex (experimental), I was curious to see what would happen… Well, I haven’t killed the cutting I put aside for this yet… lol

This is 5 days of 12/12…

It has been put into the Rubbermaid I have for cuttings during lights on, and is placed under the canopy (uncovered/no dome) in my Flowering Cabinet before lights off. It hasn’t shown anything yet, but then again, I wouldn’t have expected it too. But it is interesting to try and see first hand, so thank you for planting this seed in my head…

Anyways, sorry for rambling, and I apologize for the poor pictures. I take them with my cheap cell phone, and transfer to PC. And I am far too lazy to edit pictures other than to rename and sort them a bit lol…

Thanks for stopping in,

Peace
Dafozz

14 Likes

Been busy the last few days trying to get things a bit better organized and less cluttered with my little grow. Doing a lot of reading as usual, making a few changes to my cabinets, and just trying to evolve a bit and not get too complacent in my current grow.

Things are progressing pretty well (as far as I can tell), no big issues as far as plant health goes, and I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it stays like this. My girlz are in their 5th week of flower, getting sticky, and growing. It really has been a treat so far, watching them grow on a daily basis, as compared to the few small guerilla grows over the years, where it was a once or twice/week visit, and usually just dependent on weather and watering. I’m liking it…

And I revamped my Mother Chamber to better utilize the space I had…
From this…

To this…

One of these days I will “graduate” to more elaborate lighting (i.e. Sol Strips, COBs, etc.) and space, but will leave that up to what I can budget as well as understanding the technology that comes with it. For now though, I am really digging the potential of these cheap SILs, and would recommend them to anyone who is starting out like myself…

I will say one thing though, it has gone smoother than I expected so far, but I attribute that to all the great mentors here on OG. You can find and solve problems before they become real issues by reading through all the great threads on here.

Thanks for popping in

Peace
DaFozz

16 Likes

Looks great in there, frost city. Veg room refurb looks sweet too!

2 Likes

Thanks @beacher… I revamped things because I wanted to try out the Autos that @Mr.Sparkle sent to me. Just need to sort out some pictures, etc. and will start a new thread as it will be my first time running Autos.

Peace
DaFozz

8 Likes

Into Week 6 of flowering, and things seem to be going pretty good. Starting to fill out a bit more and getting frostier. Been getting a pretty good dose of LITFA along with their usual feeding. Might do a little defoliation, but probably not for a couple more days, and then only minimal as they seem to be ok as is for now.

On a side note, I had to transplant the cutting I set aside to try and sex by going into 12/12 immediately as it was starting to show roots in the Jiffy Pellet. Haven’t killed it yet, but after 16 days of 12/12 I cannot see any pre-flowers yet, and I have been looking with a magnifying glass. I have another rooted cutting from the same plant so I am going to try and throw that one in 12/12 for a couple days then veg and see if that works. One way or another I’ll find out…lol. I’m in no hurry…

Anyways, thanks for looking in, take care, and Happy Growin’ !!!

Peace
DaFozz

12 Likes

Beautiful canopy there. That clone has just stayed that way for 16 days in 12/12?? That’s very strange, usually they start stretching like crazy immediately.

6 Likes

I like your system @anon95954822, i reckon your clone will show in another 5 to 7 days.

7 Likes

Partway through Week 7 now, and things seem to be going fairly good… Pretty much minimal maintenance really. Gave them their weekly soil aeration a la bamboo skewer, which also serves as a “moisture meter” in a pinch, and a final top-dressing of Pro Mix to level out the pots, and watered/fed every third day.

Here’s a few shots…

Getting there… Kind of looking forward to it finishing as I want to free up some room for Mr. S’s Autos… Not sure if I timed it right…

On another note, the clone for my “12/12” test has yet to show anything that I can call definitive in terms of sex, after 24 days in 12/12… Go figure… I think the one clone I put in 12/12 for 2 days will show much sooner. Here’s “24”…

Well, thanks for stopping in… “May The Force Be With You” :v:

Peace
DaFozz

18 Likes

That’s one full freaking canopy there, very nice. Gonna flush them?

4 Likes

Good question @beacher… Not quite sure yet, as I’ve read different opinions about it… Guess it’s coming close to deciding though…

Peace
DaFozz

6 Likes

I generally do. If not anything else it can bring out some nice fall colours in them and it’s easy lol

5 Likes

Hey DaFozz,

very nice looking set up, neat and clean and functional and the plants are looking happy as wel! :heart:

3 Likes

OMG they are really looking frosty and yummy :slight_smile: mmmmhhhhh :heart:

3 Likes

They are looking good, I made up some LED’s from Dollarama as well as lots of other stuff. It’s my go to place for cheap experimental stuff lol.

I have never tried to flower under them without other lighting, I use straight 5000k in veg, and as a extra light in the corners, for flowering with 3000k before I changed my spray booth into a flowering room, so I am interested to see how yours do.

4 Likes

Hey @AUM, thanks for popping in… they are looking pretty decent, far better than I first expected to achieve. But lots of room for improvement, and maybe not so much indecision next time around. :peace:

And @Shadey, yeah Dollarama can be a useful and inexpensive way to source out experimental parts. My next “Dollarama Project” will be for a worm bin if I can get around to it. Check out @toastyjakes threads as he has a pretty good handle on growing with Screw In LEDs.

Peace
DaFozz

8 Likes

Into Week 8 now, and it will be my last group shots of Skywalker OG, as they will soon be hanging around doing their thing very shortly…

I wish I could get a clearer shot of the trichomes as they are beginning to turn amber… but I am limited to my reading glasses and a magnifier to check on them lol… For some reason I feel like I’m 80 years old when I put on reading glasses, and it’s becoming more frequent lol…

I was going through some notes I had written down, and these four clones/cuts were all taken January 1 and potted in soil on January 15th, as they had all rooted. A little over 4 months going now… I actually did my first “Bud Squeeze” today, and was actually quite impressed with how dense the buds are… I wasn’t expecting them to be so solid… To say I am pleased with Screw In LEDs and their performance would be pretty accurate…

Anyways, thanks for stopping in, looking forward to choppity-chop time…:scissors::scissors:

Peace
DaFozz

18 Likes

Looking good. Just popped a pack of those myself…

6 Likes

Love those angular, purple stems!

5 Likes