Dank Den Diary's

Haha…Looks like that settles it…I will have to be sneaky.

Do you think she will notice?

K.

2 Likes

Did you just get a notification on a tag? I’m consulting with other cover croppers right now as to whether to chop and drop or let go. I’m not sure how personal messages show up on a tag?

Just wipe them down really well with rubbing alcohol or something similar! No evidence must remain!

2 Likes

Never seen a tag? I am interested in knowing though…And I am also concerned because some of the clover has stretched looking for the only lite on. I am not sure if this will effect anything?

Thank god you have experience with the snips ordeal…It could have gotten real messy around here, if she finds out…Haha.

1 Like

I’ll add ya to the pm!

1 Like

For some reason I can’t add ya to an existing pm I’ll just copy and paste into a PM to you if I can

I’ll tell you what I said in PM.

It depends on what you what to accomplish with the cover. If you’re looking to boost the bacterial nutrient cycling you want to chop and drop when its green. If you want to boost the fungal nutrient cycling wait for it to mature and starts to yellow and chop and drop them. Ideally you want it to naturally let it ebb and flow as to mimic nature.

If you think you’re getting too much green mulch you dont always have to drop it on the soil. You can feed the extra too a worm bin or mealworms bin if you keep those critters. As long as you’re keeping the nutrient in those cutting in the loop you’re gravy.

In my own setup I dont chop and drop. I get a good cover established and feed the cuttings and leaf prunes to my worm and just use the castings as a mulch. Along with my nutrients mix once a week.

Hope this helps buddy.

6 Likes

Hey Dave…

Thanks for taking the time to help out. The bed is new, I am growing the cover crop right now…What you told me makes sense. I am after a thick cover, and will follow your instructions. Everything is still new, I have never had a plant in it. Is there any other things I may want/not want to do before I put my girls in there?

I appreciate your time Mang,

K.

5 Likes

Looks like you have it all under control

1 Like

Glad your finding the answers you seek @Kobracom420 just curious in your cover crop seeds not sure if mentioned but something that might help even further in creating the diversity is planting several different kinds of clovers vetches, peas, buckwheat several other that don’t come to mind at the moment I personally run a 12 seed blend … different plants may need different requirements better diversity of microbes see how it all paints a beautiful picture?

2 Likes

Good question turtle. I’m pretty sure my mix is up to 18 species. 14-15 being different types of clovers.

2 Likes

I get a chuckle every time “ turtle “ is mentioned! Lol thanks for your assistance on the matter @DavesNotHere, @Kobracom420 is going to kill it with this setup ! Have a great day DANNY!

3 Likes

For now hahaha…I am sure you guys will have a question fired your way again…But it is really appreciated.

That IS a good question. I currently have 2 different types of Red/Crimson Clover, two different types of normal Clover, and Hairy Vetch grass.

Is there any other types of cover crop I can add to the mix? I will grab them asap…As my plants are a week away from being ready…

You guys rule!! Thanks for everything.

K.

3 Likes

@Tinytuttle Just thought you may like this one, if you have not already seen…

K.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing iv seen Joshua S vids before like the dude not sure if iv seen this one but it’s always a good refresher !

1 Like

Hey Tiny…Do you happen to have a link for the vid you made on the Tea’s for Youtube? I am very interested in seeing it. My cover crop is super thick now, and I am getting ready to plant my clones in the 4x20 bed soon…I am not sure on what to feed when haha…I am guessing you have to tailor your feeding, to what the plant needs, and when? But a simple compost tea, should be good to feed through-out?

Thanks in advance Buddy…I really appreciate it.

K.

2 Likes

No personal tea vids from me . Check out Kaligrownbudz video it would be pretty similar

A good compost and or worm tea will work don’t tailor anything really it’s all about getting a diversity of different microbes into the soil as much as you can !
You can even put a half shovel full of garden soil with it.

Here’s a good one to try cheap and easy it’s called “Protozoa soup” get a five gallon bucket take a couple hand fulls of freshly cut lawn from the mower bag throw it in the bucket with a blubber the bigger the better (bubbler) 1/4-1/2 cup of dissolved molasses in warm water and bubble for 24-36 hours apply to bed or plants . This pump is what I have it’s a 45L/min capacity does great for 5-10 gallon batches

2 Likes

Ru going to chop it down then ? Seems kinda odd to do since you grew it all up? Hey try this for shits and giggles try chopping swaths of it hear and there 12-16” wide and leave the rest and plant in the cut areas

1 Like

Oh shit! My mistake Man…I thought you mentioned something about it, when we were talking about uploading videos on here…

Haha Awesome…I will try this for sure…I live on a field, and many different types of environments close to me, rivers etc… It makes total sense to me.

Haha…I am not sure what my plans are right now…I did not expect it to get so crazy…I am planning on letting it grow, but I am going to have to trim it, or it’s going to suffocate the little girls I just added to my bed. I pretty much did what you just said to try…I stripped a couple of inches in a circle to plant my clones…I think I may try extending the area of the cleared areas, and keep the cover crop below the bottom branchs of the plants, if I can… I am still new to this, so I have some more research to do.

I have the bed planted now, and just harvested my trailer, as well as planted the first couple of rounds of clones for the shop…

So next is re-plant the trailer (I am going to go No-Till for it) soon, and still have to plant another couple hundred clones, in the next day or two.

I will include pics soon :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

K.

2 Likes

Hell ya! Sounds good as far as what we mentioned as video upload it was of actuall tea under a microscope that I had shot a vid through the eyepiece it wasn’t of me actually making the tea just me looking at all the little swimmers in a drop! Have you seen my tea vid under the scope?

1 Like