Decarb rosin in MCT oil?

Hi to all,
I am on an endeavour to minimise the effort involved in producing high quality oil from flower. Currently my process is to decarb rosin in the oven then infusing it into MCT oil after. Something I am trying to figure out is how much it would affect the decarb process if I was to mix the rosin with the MCT oil then heated it to temp and tried to decarb it that way. Does anyone have any actual experience or knowledge of doing it this way? Even if it takes a lot longer I am still keen as it will mean I can produce a very simple process using the tools I have.
Ta!

5 Likes

It’s time vs temperature.
Here’s a handy chart:

I shoot for 27 min. at 122C. If you are reheating etc. you might want to do less time (like 20 min).

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Temp is temp.

3 Likes

Hi guys, yeah for sure, it is all about temp and time. I am just not sure if it might infuse before it can decarb or something like that as I am not aware of the exact process. However, I have read a couple of times along the way that you should decarb before infusing and I do not know why. I am thinking it might just be to make sure the audience follows the exact process being explained at the time and just not allowing room for error.

It would be nice if it is ok to do as I have a magical butter machine which i should be able to process 1 litre at a time with 100g of rosin. It manages the temp and stirs it for a set time.

set and forget

6 Likes

I decarb and extract my butter at the same time. Should be the same principle.

2 Likes

I decarb first in the oven on silicone baking sheet or a
USA Lab 500ML Low Form Beaker Borosilicate 3.3 with Spout Printed Graduations High Quality Maximum Durability and Heat Resistance - USAlab: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Then after its decarbed add your desired amount of oil, I use avocado oil it seems to work better for me when it comes to adhering to the cannabinoids.
add oil and back in the oven at 200* for 30 mins, stir a couple times, now its infused. Peace

3 Likes

It’s definitely easier to tell when the rosin has decarbed because it stops bubbling. The bubbling may not be as noticeable in the MCT oil.

3 Likes

I use my Magic Butter machine to infuse flower to oil directly. Just decarb the bud, then toss in the Magic Butter machine and it’s done. The only thing that I’ve come across is concentrating to a high dosage because you can only fit so many oz. of flower into the machine, wich requires copious amount of oil to infuse into. I’m still relatively new to this, so work in progress.

My newest will be fresh/frozen bubble hash to rosin to a solvent less extract that I can make into vape cartridges. Should be interesting.

There is a lot of skepticism in the comments…maybe @ReikoX can confirm we aren’t barking up the wrong tree here. I think that it seems logical and will be trying it, just need buy another rosin press (after I, like an idiot, gave my Nug-smasher to an ex).

5 Likes

Pretty much exactly what I do. In fact, that’s what I’m puffing on right now. :grin:

5 Likes

Ok great, I agree that it would be the same.

1 Like

Gday ReikoX, For sure that would be an issue. I figured it would be all good because the infusion process into MCT takes 2 hours so I would just do it for 2 hours at 104C instead of the usual 70C and see what happens.
I would do a test just to see but the minimum amount the machine will process is 500ml. Nothing ventured nothing gained :slight_smile:

Hey Nefrella, yeah the fact i could not make it strong enough was the issue. Plus rosin into MCT makes a really clean product.
Sounds like you have some ventures of your own ahead. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Noooooooooooooo, I am trying to dab less. This wont help!!! :joy:

1 Like