Dequilo's 2021 grow some indoor fun:) closed 3/32021

hey dequilo :slight_smile: it’s looking great at your place and it’s obvious you know what your doing! thanks for that interesting grow log!

4 Likes

@mndlss I am glad you like it :slight_smile: stop by anytime

it starting to come around when I moved back in my my plants had

taken a beating

make seeds and share them

Dequilo

3 Likes

Yep f1 normally results in hybrid vigor because the dominate genes from both sides represent themselves , as long as there isent a recessive bad trait on both sides already.
When you creat f2 both parents now have a copy of all the genes and the recessives double up and can become dominate. If the recesive trait is the color purple you might want that , if the recesive trait is a atypical growth mutation now your in trouble.
F3 is where you start stabilize the traits you want if you haven’t found any negetive traits being brought out in the f2 generation.
This is why breeding stable qaulity genetics takes time you have to test the results of your breeding before going forward or you will lock in and stabilize bad traits or mutations. Gene inheritance predictions are not fully possible yet , there is alot that is not understood but will be soon.
I myself want plants that have the thaumatin-like protein ( CsTLP) on both parental sides to work towards pm resistant and or immune plants.
Here is a link to alot of reading on genetic inheritance and breeding studies.
Gmo is right around the corner , kids at Berkeley are already using yeast to grow thc, they will be brewing it up thousends of gallons at a time.

14 Likes

f2s are like the children in deliverance why the brother, sister reference :slight_smile:

but you are so right if a breeder does the hard work and takes the time the f3s are

the offspring that are getting true to type

that is why when I see f2s for ungodly amount of money I cringe

even if you had a crystal ball there will be things in the wood pile that could come back

to haunt you

I do buy F2s knowingly and buy 60 knowing full well 40 will hit the trash can

if I am looking to work them but better just start at the f1 and do the work yourself

and make a boat load of your own f2s than just go thru them

The are GMO yeast to do opium if we are do careful we will destroy our biosphere

with freak fish, plants, etc , etc

I have been looking to do a single acre of hemp for a seed test run

but I have had a hard time finding a farmer that does not do herbicide burn and no till

farming

I am in to building soil, healthy soil gives you healthy plants at no cost other than building healthy soil

but we destroy arable soil at a scary rate

but do the same to potable water, so sad

your beans rock you my friend you put in the work

thank you

Dequilo

9 Likes

Either way you look at it, it depends on what fgen the breeder is actually releasing.
With the buyer automatically assuming they’re f1’s.
Very few f1’s get released, im sure. Not by the “pros” anyway. cough cough

8 Likes

Yeah unfortently most breeders now a days are just jumping on the hype train , bottlenecking all the new elites together and not really breeding with any goals besides being a breeder and making money. There are still some true to the plant people out there who care about putting qaulity genetics in people’s hands but I feel like it’s definitely not the majority with so many people starting seed companies in the last few years.
I laugh every time I hear of that strain killing fields because that’s a great description of my testing grounds :joy:
I kill off more supposed elite varieties then most people can get there hands on, sometimes there is a winner but more often then not there rather disappointing

7 Likes

it is hard :frowning: that is why I just bought beans from them boys in BC

their falls and mine are the same on the Islands

their stuff finishes outside here without the bud rot and stone you to the bone

Mikado, Time Warp

that is why I cannot wait for these Island Sweet Skunks to get in the ground

I want to make beans…but I want to smoke those big fat buds :slight_smile:

another ninety days :frowning:

Dequilo

9 Likes

I think the problem for most is if people take your f1 to f2 and breed in a different direction and keep calling it The same thing it can become a false representation of your work.

8 Likes

It is sad. I’m glad I have you folks for breeder references. In the future I would like to breed something of my own once I know what I’m looking for.
Alot of people are about the hype. IMO There’s alot more money in seeds then actual buds. I have a massive amount of respect for people that take the time to do the work.

4 Likes

Dude I spend a shit ton of my go to work money on cuts :frowning: I ended up with weak ass

trash that was at best was sick

Now I will be fair my setup/grow room was a mess and had problems

I will never buy a cut again there is nothing I want that bad and the prices are crazy

so I will start from beans and do the work to find what I want for myself and

share the seeds freely along the way as I work for my money and grow for my

Mental Health it takes the edge off for me

I do like some of Sannie’s work and some not so much

but that was my grow after the Mites moved in, but we are on the rebound and growing

again

as with everything in life when money comes in play things change not always for the better

I have watched seed pimps crash and burn most spectacularly since OG 1

watched them love each other, hate each other and love again

all for coin how sad is that :frowning:

I am no better there was a time in my life where I would kiss my money everyday

because loved my money

and it was a cause for me to do bad things, in 1995 I let it all go and life got so much better

and they way I treated people became ethical

a sad thing for me here is when I see people that have no need for seeds jumping on free seeds

if you are looking to build a seeds collection buy them, trade for them, make them

taking from people sharing is great but remember the new grower because at one time that was us all

and he my need them to start not put in a freezer

I have spend 500 maybe 600 dollars this fall on beans most would not buy or have never

heard of to make f1s of my own stuff to share freely

after talking with the guy that bought 3 feminized beans at 12 dollars a bean plus shipping

and got two males out of three

my blood boils he reach out to the seed whore and got nothing

so i gave him three packs of greenpoint seeds I had in breeders packs yesterday to say

hey we all are not bad people and sorry for the trouble

I had a problem with two seed seller in my mind just now and one may or may not

be taking care of

but I have the were with all to squeak and maybe get something done, I did go to another

broad and post about my problem and love the nut huggers and their defense of the seed vendor

I do go out of my way to try an post nice always trying to be respectful

I was going to say to each and everyone of the poster that wanted to get into my business

with the seed seller to just give me my seeds I bought or my money

if not then crawl back under your rock you came from

grown ups are talking

but so it goes eh?

Dequilo

14 Likes

My Friend make them for yourself and how could you go wrong :slight_smile:

Dequilo

3 Likes

Update 01/10/2021

First before I forget and post any Blah Blah Blah

A tip of the hat to all you tent growers I am amazed on how well you all do and how you mange

you space :slight_smile:

I could OverGrow my 2 1/2 acres without trying and my 8 foot by 16 foot room in two weeks or so

will be packed

you all do great Kudos!!! thanks for share your grows folks

OK here we go I do love doing my own threads I can do post after post and not edit and add

I would also take the time to Thank Each and Everyone who has posted here

I love when we can share the info we have learned along the way freely without the

bullshit :slight_smile:

so on with the show

so in a couple of weeks I will have no room and will need to hack at my moms

to get some room so this will get strange quickly

things are starting to grow I did feed everyone with 1/4 teaspoon of Jack’s 20-20-20 and

1 teaspoon of Silica Blast to 2 gallons of water to start

you can always give your plants more, I have been reading threads here of folks flushing

over watered plants

so you see where this is headed :wink:

let the abuse begin back at OG one I would pots my plants being hack at and people

like Uncle Ben, Butcher Bob would have a heart attack than tell me about how the

leaves are a store house of nutrition/food for the plants

I would ask why than if I cut off 2/3 of the top growth of a plant does that plants explode with

new growth?

never would I get a straight answer

put up this plant

on the first OG people like oh my God this is 2 maybe 3 weeks into flower

it is a BC Big Bud

folks are like what a great strain look at the great calyx to leaf ratio

I had to laugh it is amazing what will happen if you cut off 50 % of the foliage

we have been pruning, cutting and training plant since the day we started domesticating

them why would it be different with Cannabis?

so all enjoy your day and keep posting your thoughts as I love to hear them

Dequilo

24 Likes

That is amazing! 3 weeks of flower? I’m floored. I know what I’m going to get.
You remember how long you veged her for?

1 Like

I always veg for 8 weeks at the least :slight_smile: easier to let them preflower themselves thru

age than force

but I force plants then reveg if needed

but I will say it has nothing to with veg or how long it has to do with the fact that

the plant you see was trained with a pair of scissors

I cut off any branches or leaves that were not where I wanted them to be

think topiary

I took Ornamental Horticulture/Arboriculture in College which has a lot to with pruning plants and trees

I cut off anything and cut a plant back as needed they will grow more branches and leaves

just how I grow working under a 400 watt lamp gives you a size restraint

40 inches tall from the top of the pot and 40 inches wide

keep it there and you will have hard bud top to bottom

as you can see

same run of plants a Skunk 1 in a pressed peat pot

make beans and share them

Dequilo

21 Likes

Excellent work and informative reading! Well done!

3 Likes

Looking good , I used to get alot of shit for my heavy printing practices also. To answer why a plant grows so fast after being trimmed back isent that hard and I bet you knew the answer when asking lol
When you trim the plant heavily it still has the same amount of roots pushing water into the plant. Do to the loss of canopy the pressure increases from the roots and they grow new shoots much faster . My buddy just about died when he saw me cut 3/4 of a plant back, pull it out of the pot cut off half the roots and repotted
it in new soil. He was sure that it would die as it was already sick. I brought him a happy clone three weeks later and he was dumbfounded.

11 Likes

Monster Cookie x UBC Chemo f1

I let this plant get up to the fourth or fifth node cut it back to the second node

I will let it come back after removing some leafs here and there

let the new four leaders go until the each are four of five nodes and whack them

back to their second nodes

let them come back and remove leaves and branches that do not fit my needs

I had people tell me you are going to make them into hermie

you are cutting off all the plant food storage

I would tell them what I was doing is removing the terminal buds to remove the hormone

that keeps lateral buds dormant

so the the dormant lateral buds can be come new terminal buds

but that can be a hard sell to people that want to project people traits into plants

you and I both have been at this for to long I found it better to just do what I do and

so I just show folks what I do if they try it great if not great

I watched good growers crash and burn arguing points that are meaningless either way

I have found in my growing it is about what works for me in my setup, that is what one as a

grower needs to find

pick and chose things you see other folks are doing that works and they may work for you

I have watched folks turn Hempy buckets in the NFT type of work for hydro

I posted with Hempy they were suppose to be ez to move people toward active hydro after have

a great grow in passive hydro

I just keep growing, hacking at plants and trying to have fun growing while I do it

you vial Bs are under a couple 600 MH running under 14 hours of light? they good with that @Heritagefarms

also do the autos need flower food? I would guess yes they would like it but is 20-20-20 OK?

I am going to give them a shot of 10-30-20 to help them think about flowering

if they need HPS I will give them that also

I do call it a weed and folks are like it is not it sure grows like one if you let it

make beans and share them

Dequilo

and you do indeed thanks for letting me try your work

10 Likes

Amen to that :pray:, I owe to people like you my slight improvements in my grows, thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge with us … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

@George thank you that is why I post lots of photos and try to show exactly what

I do and how I do it

I do also try to give people an overview as to why I am doing what I am doing and trying to

achieve

do I have problems? sure do post them right up for you to see and maybe avoid it in your growing

seeing others fail helps one to learn how not to go down that road

it took awhile but the Mites are gone or at the least under control and the plants are now healthy

getting feed and some silica to harden them up

you My Friend owe me nothing you took what I freely gave to you and learned :slight_smile:

that is in and of itself the pay off for me

I returned to you what someone had given to me and some day My Friend you will pay me back

by helping someone else

all the best in your grow

Dequilo

6 Likes

That should be good untill you see them start to flip and then I’d go to a more traditional flower mix.

1 Like