Diagnosing clone

This kandy kush clone has been slow growing since I picked it up from a dispensary 10 days ago. I sprayed with a solution of hot sauce and water to take care of any pests. Transplanted next day. Growing under ~600 w cfl. It is getting new growth but they all have yellow burnt ends. I am using 1 tsp Neptunes Own Harvest (2-4-1) with 1/2 gallon of water. I poured 8 ounces of the solution last week but skipped today because I wasn’t sure if it was being burnt. Any ideas on what is going on with this little lady?

2 Likes

Do you have a loupe or microscope of some kind that you can use to look for bugs?

2 Likes

Not immediately but I’m wondering if it is fungus gnats. I may dry it out to hopefully kill any larvae. I’m also wondering if it is nutrient burn.

1 Like

I don’t think that amount of Neptune’s harvest would burn a plant like that. It’s not uncommon for me to use 15 and sometimes even 30ml per gallon (1-2 tbsp). What kind of soil did you transplant it into?

Fungus gnats certainly won’t help it. To do that kind of damage, you would have to have a pretty severe infestation.

1 Like

Organic Potting mix, 3-1-1. I have two others that came from a private grower and are doing great.

1 Like

The fact that it came from a dispensary and the others are doing ok, makes it suspect for a variety of pests. Does the new growth always start out looking nice and then die off? Seems like the newest leaves up top look ok. Do you have access to an aloe plant by chance?

2 Likes

600W of CFL sounds a little too strong for clones to me (setup depending).
What have you planted in? soil?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

That sounds about right! It starts growing new growth then starts to die. I do have access to an aloe plant.

1 Like

First off, I would get a loupe, magnifying glass, etc and give the leaves a good look over. That damage could be many things, but it could also be russet mites, and you don’t want any part of that. If you have an aloe plant, you can blend up about an ounce of leaf per gallon of water, strain and spray. It will both supply nutrients and the salicylic acid will help boost the plant’s immune system. But yeah, get some kind of magnification - it doesn’t take much - and look over those leaves imo. :v:

Edit: this is what you don’t want to see…

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 8.36.50 PM

8 Likes

I am currently in soil. I was curious if it is light burn. I’ve been 5-6 inches away but wondering if I should create more of a distance.

Thank you! I will give it a shot.

Is that similar to using hot sauce, without the nutrients? When I sprayed it with the solution, the plant was not happy. I keep waiting for it to bounce back but started to suspect something else was at play.

1 Like

No, hot sauce is a pesticide (it kills bugs) where as the salicylic acid will help the plant with it’s own self defense mechanisms against pests. Now, the necrosis isn’t just where you sprayed the hot sauce is it? Cause that would be an easy fix - stop spraying hot sauce. Either way, the aloe will help.

4 Likes

Haha I only did it the one time when I got it. I’ve had bad experiences with dispensary clones but I gave it another shot based on recommendation. It’s life started rough though, within 24 hours of coming was sprayed, transplanted, and popped under the CFLs. I knew it was rough but it’s been two weeks and still not back to normal.

1 Like

Clones can’t process that quantity of photons. Treat them more like seedlings to start (tough seedlings). They are deceptive as we normally don’t consider what we don’t see.

Cheers
G

8 Likes

Good to know! Getting clones at different times and at different stages (the clones from a private grower were well rooted) but trying to treat them the same was not one of my smarter moves. Appreciate the feedback.

3 Likes

How often should I spray the aloe? I gave all three plants a misting this morning. I’m guessing daily until the problem resolves.

1 Like

Save the hot sauce for your nacho chips there’s better things for pest management high vinegar type condiments probably did it in

6 Likes

Any ideas on how to reverse it?

2 Likes

Old growth won’t return more than likely just look for healthy new growth in the tip and tops then you’ll know your on the right road.

4 Likes

Your new growth doesn’t look bad, which is the important thing. Keep it moist and keep an eye on it.

I’ve gotten dispensary clones that took a while to get their stride, it happens.

Dispensary clones are noted for carrying pests, in the future I recommend using pesticides on every inbound clone from outside your garden. It may be the one of the few times you ever need to use them if you are diligent. Infestation can come from anywhere anytime but dispensary clones are closer to “Russian roulette” odds.

5 Likes