Differences between european and american weed tastes/aromas

Hi there, I’m “re-new” to growing again, and I now see lots of american seeds and varietys.
Lots of them that describes many new aromas/tastes.
My question, as an european grower that only smoked weed from here is if someone has grow something from the two places and if they feel/sense any difference. Specially if any brew from reputed european seeds.

I grow years ago different european weeds, and the tastes varied, but where not very strong tastes and finally all tasted like weed -as it should?-
Or perhaps I don’t have a nose/tongue well developed.

Thanks and happy holidays.

Excuse any writing mistakes, I’m spanish.

7 Likes

I think most, if not all, American weed comes from around the world. I know we got a lot of our stuff from asia and central/south America. In fact I don’t know of a single strain that has N. American cannabis genetics in it at all, though I’m probably wrong. Im betting that there are similarities in terp profiles between the European and American strains due to the origins of where we got our cannabis.

I am kind of interested in how things have diverged from the weed our parents and grandparents had to what we have today.

1 Like

Mendocino Purp and Cannatonic come to mind as originating here in the U.S. If you’re including North America, Canada has several RENOWNED Landraces (Manitoba Poison, Jean Guy out of Quebec). Hope this info helps, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

And if there weren’t landraces (that are), the selections and heirlooms made by the breeders I suppose that will be different.
I’m asking because I read that Europeans smoke normally joints (weed+tobacco), that the selections made to the nowadays weed were different from Americans who almost smoked solo weed.

2 Likes

I quit smoking cigarettes for more than 10 years.
Before I have also mixed weed&tobacco. 6 months ago I started smoking only weed , After many attempts before that.

I can say one thing for sure.

Weed without tobacco =
less smoking (only when I need to, not when the nicotine requests)

Less smoke(weed)=
less tolerance , less health problems (e.g mental health from much THC) , more activity in life.

Low tolerance=
long lasting effects, better understanding each strain effects.

It’s worth mentioning that it’s all from a non-smoker mind.

Also during breaks (1-3 months) it was hell!!! Demand for weed and tobacco together.

4 Likes

I’ve grown seeds from Australia, Spain, England, Netherlands, Norway, South America, Canada, USA.
I maybe forgetting some place.
The tastes are in genetics. IMHO.

4 Likes

ive noticed that Eu strain banks are consistently more bushy sativa like plants then the stuff i get from us. Lindas gear was all fluffy bush buds, some great smoke for sure but it was difficult to manage the canopy at times

2 Likes

hi i have grown weed from most parts of the world starting 40 odd yrs ago with afghanicas and through luck and some kind breeders i have tried many so called landrace strains,
i see it now as probaly the best time to grow/smoke as most of the slow hard breeding work to find the best of genetics has mostly been done,refined and femmed.
but in that mix we often loose out imo as the market trends toward high thc production lots of interesting variations of taste and smell terps etc are lost as there genetics is considered 2nd rate due to thc levels only.
so yes loads of thc strains some claiming massive % thc,but take that original afghanica chemotype smoked in my youth and thc level is around 15% so would be considered low thc and likely not used in breeding,despite the fact the any one of hundreds of cannabioids is unique and has longevity unlike the high thc strain that wears off in 2 hours but tastes good the afghan stone lasted 5-6 hours smoking or far longer in edibles and had unique taste but not nice as say cheese or og kush,i miss the older stuff tbh.
a matter of tastes i guess,cheers

7 Likes

Yeah, I understand you very well.
Years ago when I quit smoking tobacco I also made only weed joints. Very fine ans small, my friends tell me that was “porros de señorita” (“lady joints”, more or less). And smoked less weed.
Also, the relaxing part of the weed make me smoke less.
After backing to smoke tobacco again (from 2 years now I use vapers instead of tobacco) but more than 10 years ago without any joint, the first “señorita” that I half smoke shot me very hard, so I started to mix to not smoking so many weed.

1 Like

culturally, there must be divergence around skunk and foxy smells. in the US, foxy is grape. we make our drinks smell/taste like this. Elsewhere, it’s a weasel’s ass and is gross. Also, not many Europeans have had the pleasure of smelling a roadkill skunk in real life…as they drive down the road. lt’s a distinct smell, remarkable really, but native to North America only. they do have skunks in BC btw, i have seen one there IRL…i thought it was weed because usually it was.

Anyone no what a stink badger smells like? I didn’t get to see any when in Indochina.

access to genetics should be roughly the same. if you wanted to breed some time ago you almost had to do it in Europe, even if you were from US. I can buy seeds from all breeders. So, can folks in Europe.

1 Like

I think this is generally true, and actually the criticism I’ve heard of both sweet gassy terpy modern American weed and also modern Dutch and Spanish strains, maybe too much selection and bottlenecking for speed, THC level, and yield over everything else. I think that regardless of where you’re getting seeds from nowadays, to me the thing to look for is either linework/IBLs that haven’t had the phenos narrowed down too much (Dynasty is a good example of this), true F1 hybrids of stabilized lines and F2s from those to unlock the expressions(@Tonygreen has been doing this a bunch lately with the GB and RIL), S1s of well-regarded clone-onlys to see the diverse potential of the mom (CSI/Nspecta is famous for this, but lots of people are also good at it), and then my personal favorites, hybrids of one very old heirloom to a newer (90s onward) commercial strain bred well for indoor production (Bodhi, Strayfox, Doc D). From my experiences and what I’ve read of other’s, these are the seeds that are going to give you the complex and interesting smells, terps, and effects/head/stone.

But like @duke said it’s a great time to be living when people have done so much work on refining and collecting things that were just legends and myths to most of us, and now we can get on here and find them. Choose wisely, but there’s a lot of great genetics available out there.

6 Likes

to be honest , I haven’t noticed big difference between weed tastes, unlike smell. maby because I am new in smoking without tobaco? Only minor difference for me :man_shrugging:
I use small joints and rolling thin ones , if I want to smoke small amount. Also I recommend vapes , I really enjoy with vaping weed , tastes and smell are at best level with it.effect more clear .

From EU I have grown DP, GH , Barney, dinafem , sensi and Ace genetics.
My favorite from EU is ACE Seeds . Good genetics , not common terpenes :nose:
Past 3 year , From EU using only their gear.

From US , BODHI is my favorite , great genetics :green_heart:
Bodhi Plant and seed guide (Part 2)

If you will spend a little time here on OG , you will find out a lot of things and maybe get also some good and rare genetics :wink:

Sorry for my English, that’s why I don’t post often and mostly read :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

Your english is better than mine…
Spanish here.
Many years ago I have grown Shiva Shanti II from Sensi Seeds, particular terpenes… Skunk I from Sensi hell olorous.
KC brains Leda Uno, my favourite, and wild thai from world of seeds, all of them have different tastes and flavours.
But from the last month I started to smoke weed again not on a daily basis, and the weed was obtained from a third person, and I couldn’t find any particular flavours or tastes.
I don’t know if I’ve my nose untrained and that could be the reason.

1 Like

I think it’s from not properly curing , it’s depends also on growing stile. Maybe genetics , but I have not tasted anything like that.

I also grew Skunk 1 from sensi a few years ago. was a good experience :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Hi paisano, that “eñe” always cheers me up when I see it :grin:. As per your question, there are no landraces in Europe, everything comes from abroad and so on in the USA. Flavour and potency are just a result of market demands. For instance, it is not easy to find pure sativas, too long to grow and not very commercial (at least in Europe), people are used to hybrids and crosses, THC has increased exponentially if you compare it with last decades and sadly there are many strains that have disappeared due to this marketing guidance and fashions.

I’m happy to be an Oger because here you can find people interested in preserving old lines and landraces and sharing their knowledge and seeds. Growing from different regions of the world will help you to find out the diversity and richness of this sacred plant Pirata|nullxnull , all you have to do is replicate the conditions where they feel “like home”, just make them happy, not an easy task but very rewarding when you succeed …

You just have to find out what kind of strain pleases you and fulfill your demand independently from where they come from, I really enjoy the afghans as I use them for zz|nullxnull, if I buy them in ACE seeds I cannot consider them Europeans, globalization has also landed in the cannabis market, the only country that count is the country of origin. An Afghan should taste equal in Europe than in the USA, only genetics count. That’s why I’m focusing on landraces, the plant just as it is and not hyped with crosses of “well-known” strains and attirant Photoshop pics, look always for the origins … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

I’ve heard some great points made about the terpenes and their relation to localities.

The smells such as stinky dung/death can originate from plants which required specific insects which are attracted to these smells - such as beetles and flies. I’ve heard that places in Afghanistan or other regional areas which rely on these populations of these insects will produce plants of this nature. (Over time allowing natures selections made by these insects).

Where as fruit driven smells commonly found in sativas in parts of asia are found because these plants genetics were propelled foreword from fruit loving insects such as bees or other insects attracted to the particular smells. Terpenes and insects relationship is a powerful one - at least outside of any indoor setup.

Now this pallet is being/has been used by many of us to select and combine. Which has taken the insects selections out of the equation and allowed many growers to select based on preferences. American / Europeans - were all using the same pallet in this age. With the variety of smells I’ve come across in my short time making seeds… I’m confident we will keep finding/making new scents with new combinations.

Truly fascinating stuff.

3 Likes

Compartimos la pasión por las landraces…

2 Likes

Do post more often, your English is GREAT!! We all learn from one another, believe you me. Have a wonderful New Year, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Thank you @misterbee , you are right :green_heart:
It’s always nice to see you here , with your kindness , happy new year , wish u all the best :green_heart:

2 Likes

you mean these varieties can be found out i the wild? here canada