What terpene profile have you not seen in landraces?

Hi OGers!

Hope y’all doing great and happy going with the life!

I’m opening a light topic, where we can discuss about what aroma/flavor are extremely rare or impossible to find in landraces yet easy to find in hybrids
(For example, citrusy is rather easy to find in both landraces and hybrids yet some other flavor may be hard to find in landrace but easy to find in hybrid)

So let’s say realizing some distinction between landraces and hybrids in flavor perspective.

Or perhaps, all the flavors all available in the landraces, just not pronounced enough?

Please, let us have your insightful opinions👊

• I don’t mean terpene profile by each terpene compound such as limonene but I mean more of descriptive way of calling it such as citrus.
6 Likes

I’ve found berry smells rare in landrace, I think I’ve only had it pop up once and I can’t be sure that wasn’t due to some contamination. Likewise bubblegum/super sweet seems to be rare.

Some of the more common are:
Mango, both ripe and green
Tropical fruits like papaya, and sometimes even passionfruit.
Peppery spice
Eucalyptus
Earthy/micro biological
Occasionally pineapple
Citrus of course, though I’ve had lime more than say lemon.
Some of the SE Asian varieties are earthy cocoa.
Some of the African varieties have an oily smell
Flower smells are not uncommon in Indian varieties.

That’s about all I can think of at the moment, but I’m sure there are more.

10 Likes

I have no experience with landrace but I’m very interested to hear more opinions like the one from @slain. I think it would also be interesting to have a thread where everyone posts the most common smells they come across, and the most rare. Of any cannabis they’ve grown.

4 Likes

With such a broad range of ‘landrace’ I don’t think there is a smell you can’t find. There are too many regions and too many expressions.

However that is not what has me typing here - preface by saying I’m not an entomologist or bug nerd - so making some generalizations.

I’ve heard that insects/regions are responsible for the range of terpenes and smells associated with those specific ranges of smells. For example bees and flower / fruit loving insects more commonly found in places like Asia will perpetuate selections of these types of plants by aiding in pollination of plants they are attracted to. Where as locations (such as desert /dry regions)which rely more on insects like beetles and other insects that are attracted to decay and such aid in perpetuating plants which they are attracted to such as death and decay.

I think that’s pretty cool*

5 Likes

Orange and berry. Pungent baby poo and vomit.

3 Likes

Woo those are already getting interesting and nice input.
I think it is great that @slain mentioned “common” things from Landrace. Made it very easy to understand for everyone.

Also, the idea from @Soiltech is interesting. Makes good sense to me as well. I still don’t know how strong this factor influences terpene since cannabis doesn’t really need pollinators to pollinate. I think wind does the job (Perhaps, there isn’t much wind in Hindu Kush regions or equatorial regions where cannabis needs pollinators in nature). Anyway, terpene and pests or even pollinators correlate so worth keeping on track with this idea for sure!

1 Like

Fully agree haha
Sounds fun and nice topic. Also, think there will be no beafing on this topic since it is very subjective matter (but useful).
Just don’t know if there are enough peop willing to give info about landrace experiences or if there are enough people who grows landraces casually.

1 Like

Which regional ones, are you refering to those smells? Would love to know, especially orange. Thought orange is pretty damn rare in landrace.

title was ‘have you not seen’. so none.

i have to go hybrid to get those terps.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ah sht. yes, that is the title.

Ahh, so it was the one that you haven’t seen in the landrace. Super fair.

1 Like

Woody profiles are pretty common also, there can be all kinds of variations on the woody theme, from spicy sandalwoods to woody with hints of lemon grass and oily cedar and pine terps. I’ve heard people speak of frankincense too, but have yet to stumble across it myself.

Plenty of dirt, barn hay, grass clippings and wet cardboard terps to sort through out there lol.
Some people say cat piss comes up a bit :face_vomiting:
Occasionally you get aniseed type terps, more like fresh dill than strong aniseeds in the ones I’ve had; but definitely interesting, just a bit elusive and hard to pin down.

Some varieties like zamal can have sweet carrot smells.

Never had chemical plastic profiles or aviation fuel in anything but hybrids, same goes for orange and banana.

My experience is mostly all with long flowering equatorial types, so there is a whole world of other terps in some of the broad leaf landrace and heirlooms I don’t know much about🙏

2 Likes

Cannabis doesn’t need insects - correct - but they do absolutely have an influence.

Just in the fact that insects are carrying selected pollen spreading or ‘perpetuating’ a selection beside wind carried ‘unselected’ pollen. Bugs in numbers would work in a different way than wind. Reaching regions with a preferred specific scent selection. Over time this can influence the overall genetics in a region as the plants have been perpetuated by the selection of insects. Thinking that also many bugs would reach plants with a selected pollen further and outside of the regular winds patterns reach. Over time is key, it may be a why some regions of land race have similar scents over a specific area.

1 Like