Diggy’s Dungeon

Look at your friend. Looks like another good time.

1 Like

It is what it is. I have enjoyed the pictures. I don’t get out in the woods much. I love the colors of the fungus. You started for a reason. I’m sure you had some enjoyment out of it. Peace

1 Like

i don’t think they’re the same. not sure of the first, but the second is turkey tail. turkey tail is a medicinal mushroom and good for boosting immune system.

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought they were different at first, too. The only difference between the two is coloration, tho; the size, shape, and density are all identical.

That’s why I mentioned the sun exposure. We’re just looking at phenotypical differences in those two pictures. This is what’s going on with most cannabis grows, too. People say “Oh snap, that first batch must be better, let’s continue with the seeds from those plants.” Not realizing the difference is entirely environmental. SunGrownMids mentions it in that video up there // The vast majority of traits we see are entirely non-inheritable. Most people are making selections based on a singular environment not realizing that the plant they love only exists under a strict set of parameters. It’s how we have so many different OG Kush lines that are all genetically identical.

If I find another flush today I’ll grab some better pictures.

Built a quick little vivarium. Currently just worms.
Autos still running on full auto. Middle of stretch, maybe closer to the end of stretch. One Double Grape got her third STS spray yesterday mornin.

This is the same gallon from earlier in the thread. With no light blocking container, just low levels of indirect light, it is clearly degrading but seems to have a decent shelf life. I forget exactly how long it’s been sitting, but I’ve never seen data on shelf-life so I’m interested if it’s still going to do its job.

7 Likes

mushrooms are not plants.
turkey tail would look the exact same if it were in sunlight. I don’t know what the other fruiting bodies are but they aren’t turkey tail and could be deadly if consumed. please don’t try to eat them.

3 Likes

Lmfao. Fuck it, I’ve got a moment.

You only made a one sentence claim that one was turkey tail and one was not, with no explanation on how a person would come to that conclusion — I don’t even know you, or your qualifications, so up until this point you’ve not really established that you are someone who I should take advice from, or that you have a deeper knowledge of the subject than having seen a picture of one, once.

None of that is meant as a dig at you, in the slightest. It’s just crazy that anyone would ever so frivolously take the word of a stranger on the internet as fact, that they would base their diet on it. I’m constantly telling people not to blindly trust anything I say, and to always find a reliable source to back it up.

If you wanted to have a conversation on why there’s no chance the mushrooms could have been sunbleached, I am super interested in that conversation. It was a assumption, based on a cursory knowledge of the pigments in plants. But like you said, they’re not even in the same kingdom.
That would absolutely qualify as proving me wrong, and I’d love pay you the first bounty of the thread.

4 Likes

hey no worries.
its just a reflex for me. when i see mushrooms on the internet i tell people not to eat them. unless of course you know 100% what it is. i can 100% say that one is turkey tail and the other one isn’t. there are over a hundred thousand mushrooms in north america. i only know 5-10 from foraging. so i don’t have the knowledge of what it is, but i know what it is not.
mushrooms are amazing though and it looks like you have some good woods to walk around looking at them.

4 Likes

Yeah, yo. I’m a city boy, I don’t eat any mushrooms I find in the forest, period. lmfao. I am strongly considering getting a variety of spawn plugs and trying my hand at mushroom production. The way I look at it is in an 8 hour day you can go about 3 hours in each direction, and I can reach 15-20 million people in that radius. If I can produce it, there’s a customer who would appreciate it – it’s just a matter of building that bridge.

Random post of the day (To justify procrastinating on everything else) :joy:

What the fuck are PGR’s?
(And what they are not.)

Plant Growth Regulators is not a misnomer, it’s an incredibly accurate name. They are not just bud hardeners, they control all growth, and cover all levels of toxicity – from not at all, to very.
When a houseplant bends towards the sunlight streaming in a nearby window, it’s because auxins are building up in the shaded side, causing it to outperform its opposite. The difference in growth rate is responsible for bending the plant towards the light source. I guess in this case you could call it an endogenous PGR. I imagine scholars and professionals would look at you funny for wording it like that, tho. It’s just a Phytohormone.
We can simulate that shaded environment in direct sun, and increase growth rate consistently across the plant by foliar feeding em, but the type of PGR we use depends on the plant we’re spraying. Cannabis is particularly limited because we ignite and inhale the vapors and residues. If we’re spraying Celosia and Poinsettias the list of dangerous compounds is way shorter. Kelps, Weeping Willows, and Aloe are the most common plant sources for auxin that I can think of, but that doesn’t necessarily mean those are the best source. There could be a synthetic auxin with a fast breakdown time, and a low or nonexistent REI(Restricted-Entry Interval?) that produces better, more repeatable results. Alternatively there could be a great new, organic, vegan, plant-derived auxin source that comes with a natural toxin that we haven’t recognized yet, because nobody is igniting and inhaling it, yet.

5 Likes

Actually looks good in the snow.

It’s fricken tiny, right now. Probably about 1,000 square feet. Over the next few years I’d like to expand it to a quarter acre < half an acre. Just no way in hell I have the resources to do that this year. Most of the wood on the property has been moved to the bed, and broken down into a single layer deep. When the last of it hits the earth the name of the game switches to quick decomposition. Leaves, and rotted wood, and such. Then 50lb bags of oyster shell, gypsum, maybe crustacean meal and bone meal, before a final layer of soil / peat to hold in all of the juices. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :joy: :no_mouth:

There was only one owner on this property before, an old hippy dude that’s very likely passed on by now. An impeccable caretaker of his land, who grew some pretty awesome plants considering how old school the genetics were. He followed the same nutrient program as my grandmother did, in her little 10’x10’ bed in the city — spent coffee grounds, and eggshells, and the compost generated by the previous years plants — and pretty much nothing else.

He told us a story about him and his brother finding a giant mud wasps nest, and how he had a step-by-step plan, detailing exactly how they’d contain it, then get rid of it by dropping the whole thing in a hole in the garden bed. And then he told us how the whole plan fell apart when the nest fell apart, and two old men went running for the hills like they were in high school again. :joy: :joy: :joy:

If he’s still with us, I hope he’s well.

14 Likes

Merry Christmas my friend. Have a happy new year

3 Likes

You too, dude. Hope all’s well in yall’s neck of the woods.

Autos have cold feet, and it’s showing up as overwatering. I’ll just hit em with the spray bottle for the next week or two while the soil re-equilibrates.

13 Likes

Yes very good. A lot going on. I do try and keep it simple.

1 Like

Fuck 2021.

3 Likes

Nice turkey tails very good medicine
I’m a recent convert mycology enthusiasts

2 Likes

Perspective on this picture is weird. The grass is flat ground and the moss-covered logs are at the bottom of a shallow hill. Thinking Sunflowers in the back of the bed. Followed by Collards, Gladiola or Dahlias, and then something short and shrubby, like Marigolds, in the front.

I’m not sure if I mentioned it already, but I don’t necessarily think hugelkultur beds are superior to normal garden beds. I just don’t know what else to do with the dozens of cubic yards of wood.

6 Likes

I often hear that privilege is like a foot race, with well-off people simply starting further ahead on the track than their competitors. That analogy is stupid. It’s a gross misrepresentation of the sheer scale of the hurdles placed on each person. It’s inarticulate fiction, at best.

I would describe birth as being dropped in the ocean, and an innumerably small percentage of people have the resources to hop on a jet ski and make it to shore. Nobody reading this is in that group. Literally none.

Another, slightly larger group gets lucky enough to float a nice piece of drift wood, and paddle their way to shore. There are studies showing these people think that their hard work and perseverance brought them to the driftwood. It’s hilarious nonsense.

Then you hit the metaphorical vast majority, the people who have to swim to shore. Some will be quick learners, or have family that are proficient swimmers, and some will just brute force their way to shore. Some non-zero percentage will have a rescue boat help them to shore. Very literally the vast majority of people who will read this – W2 workers, all the way up to a couple million dollars a year. The type of people who think they’re middle-class until a doctors bill lands that their insurance wont cover. Even the worst-off in this group are privileged.

Some large minority of people will never learn how to swim. And some of them will have their legs tangled up in a mess of hooks and wire, and they’ll spend significant amounts of time just treading water. Some people still will be pulled under.

So I don’t know what any of this has to do with anything. I just hate that olympic sprinter analogy. Nobody’s actively hunting their competitors in a foot race.

6 Likes

I liked it. Sounds like you got a lot going on. You’ll never know what’s under a rock unless you turn it over. Why would you have a child and not put it in a car seat. I think most people are morons.

1 Like

Not really, just the usual. Broke af after xmas so haven’t been putting any work in on the house. Mostly just planning and price checking.

Cold as :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: for a few days so ran the wood stove here and there after sunset. The oil seems to warm just the air, and then it leaks out of the house. The wood stove warms the whole structure itself.

It’s going to be sad going back to chicken and pork when beef goes back to normal prices.

10 Likes

Nice dinner. It’s not as cold here as where you are. The T bone looks delicious. Love a good fire. Same here with cash. Lol Christmas will do it.

4 Likes

Water potential of 0 MPa is distilled water, it cannot be a positive integer. Dry seeds have -50 MPa and will dry beyond their ability to recover as they surpass -300 MPa.
Adding solutes decreases water potential, and slows the rate of imbibition. A high water potential (close to 0) can damage old seeds, by hydrating the cells too quickly. This is called Osmopriming if I remember correctly.

https://www.metergroup.com/environment/articles/water-potential-key-successful-seed-priming/

A secondary consideration for old seeds is whether they’re still able to produce the hormones needed for germination. You see metabolism is never stagnant inside of a seed. Especially if the seeds have stayed at or above room temperature for long periods of time, they’re very likely close to the ends of their resources. I think it’s called Hormopriming, but that’s a stupid name — so I might be mistaken lol.

I think a Cannabis sprouted seed tea, extracted using h2o2 for sterility, might be the best germination supplement.

I would be greatly interested in even a fleeting conversation on the subject, if anyone has a moment and a couple strawpennies.

8 Likes