Disabled growers

I’ve already reached our to @treedawg but I would welcome input from any and all growers/perspective growers who have disabilities or physical limitations.

As my back issues worsen I’ve been thinking more and more about designing and producing a simple and easily operated grow system designed for individuals with disabilities. Feel free to PM me if you would like to help out with this project! I’m looking for input on what is important to someone with disabilities.

Stay hazed
Jake

8 Likes

I was seriously injured in an accident a few years ago.
I am profoundly lucky to be alive today.

Having been a fanatical gardener for many years preceding my accident, I found that I needed to modify my gardening technique after my successful rehabilitation from my horrific injuries.

Now I sit in a chair frequently when inspecting/feeding/watering/maintaining my plants.
I use more perlite in my soil-less mix to keep the weight of my containers down…especially after watering/feeding.

I can do everything that I used to do, although more slowly.

I am truly very lucky and I have found a new, reinvigorated appreciation for all things.

Besides, gardening is therapeutic unto itself!

6 Likes

more power to you/us brother :slight_smile:

this could me a manual or FAQ too.

the brain is storming:

organize list of needs, take input from varied ailing people
maintain indoor/outdoor/greenhouse info separate for ease
minimize cost, maximize re-useability
minimize frequency & intensity of manual labor
rough generic plans polished by OG community with grow experience

this is just a germ at this point, but a great one.

i hope to some day see busy community gardens with ganja & wheelchairs.

cannabis.sequoia

5 Likes

Same page @cannabissequoia!

I think this is something that is painfully obvious but has been ignored. The people who need the meds the most have the least access to them.

Stay hazed
Jake

5 Likes

yes that would help out a lot of people whom need help with out wasting money and energy.

2 Likes

my wish would be that aexperiance smart grower would do that would help out people whom or in need of help because of health. I had a mod contact me on this subject hopefully something is in work

I thing I can think of know is to use expanded metal as floor of table to let run off go into bucket to check ph and or ppm.

this is what i like i am trying to search a way to simplify things too for me because of the lack of movement i have sometimes because of my back and legs if get some good info or something glad to share

1 Like

best wishes my friend i feel you most stuff i do the same sit to inspect stuff and the perlite was thinking about using super soil with 50% perlite i think will do a big difference

1 Like

i’m not disabled but i think everyone should have a stool in their grow room! i do have chronic back pain from when i broke my back 2 decades ago and kneeling down or crouching to try working on the plants in my tent (especially the back rows) starts to hurt pretty quickly.

4 Likes

how many of us of have laid down & looked at our plants? :slight_smile:
me=1

c.s

4 Likes

would like the info you would share.

I have something better for you to be honest. Shoot me a PM, and I’ll get some out to ya this week.

2 Likes

I thought I had replied to this thread before. Does not matter I will respond to all of these type of post. I am disabled and in a wheelchair most of the time. My doctors don’t want me to use my wheelchair at home. They want me to walk so my left leg stops atrophy any worse then what it is. I have days my leg feels so weak I am afraid to use it. On those days I use an old office chair on wheels. I push myself around the house in it. I would not be able to grow without this chair. I use it to move water, move plants around, paint my grow space. To tell you what I deal with. In your neck you have seven vertebrae and medical people call these c1-c7. While in my neck c2-c7 are all ruptured or bulging. This is causing my right hand and arm to atrophying and losing muscle. I use a rubber tipped stick to write my posts. Your upper back is called the t-spine 3 of my t-spine are crushed and in my lower back I have 4 vertebrae that have degenerative disk disorder and 2 of them are crushed. So I think I can say I understand back pain. I also understand I must learn to do stuff myself and can’t rely on others to do it. I have one of the greatest wifes in the world. She tries to help but 3 gallon pots get pretty heavy. So I use the baking sheets for more then keeping the plants off the carpet. With 4 3 gallon pots these pans slide very easily. They are also great for watering plants. I hate to top water my plants. I worry about stem rot and bottom watering helps that. I also don’t have to worry about leafs getting wet and burning. I have learned a lot of ways to simplify my grow life using my roll around chair. If there is anything I can help with or any questions I can answer just let me know. I am happy to help if I can. Just let me know. Thank you all for allowing me to talk about my disabilities. I don’t tell you this because I want anybody to feel sorry for me. I tell you so you know I am able to talk about this subject from within. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

7 Likes

You are amazing and make me feel like a big baby :baby:

I hope I did not make anyone else feel bad. I don’t tell or talk about my problems to make anyone feel bad. I talk or tell so someone out there that is disabled might see it and realize they to can garden in a wheelchair no matter what. I talk about so others can learn they to can do it if they just think about their limits and ways to get around them. Not to show anyone up or to make them feel bad. All of use have different issues they deal with and none of them are minor. Thank you for thinking I am awesome but I don’t want you or anyone else t think they are crybabies. My pain tolerance is very high compared to most people’s yet to some my pain is nothing compared to what theirs is. All I want to do is help anyone I can overcome their disability so they to can garden and produce their own meds.

5 Likes

You gave some great tips. As I get older and get more old age aches, I can do things better/easier. That is why I am following. Those fresh watered 3gal are getting heavier. I fell down the stairs last May and I tore everything in my dominate knee. After 3.5 moths during which I did 3 cutting of hay, they found I had fractured the ball of the Tibia. I just had surgery a year latter and finished my pt. My knee is never going to be the same so I have to work smarter.

Thanks for sharing this. It makes my morning, … and humbles me down from medicating’s side effects. (you knocked the sarcasm berries of the Tree!)

Being a fixer of things, my instinctual reaction is to think I can rebuild your spine (:rocket: :thinking:), but the realtiy is sinking in bit-by-bit. Was this from a single incident/accident? America is FULL of people 1/2-broken from automobile-related accidents but nobody’s really talking about it(a la OverPopulation, the Other White Elephant), the victims or the Man.
(:oil::oncoming_automobile::moneybag:) I’ve met more than I imagined.

:thinking: trying to stay on topic :wink:

(can’t resist)
Does exercising the left leg muscles cause the majority of the pain or the standing? I’m curious if you could use some kind of gym-equipment that allows seated exercise, but it’s early & i’m a stoned looney.

:wink:

have a nice day
:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Thank you for your concern. Because of the spinal damage I have constant nerve pain in ny feet and hands. Also every time I see a new doctor they think surgery will fix everything. That seemed to be all anyone wanted to do. This last surgeon I really like because he didn’t want to cut me before even talking to me. He is going to try a rigid neck brace and a spacial therapy program. I am actually excited about seeing this surgeon. I have had surgeons walk into the room with their appointment calender and the first thing out of their mouth is I have a surgical open on so and so dates. Didn’t even ask how I was doing. Oh well that’s my problem and it seems this post has gotten side tracked and become all about me. To answer the question asked. Exercise has just kept the leg from getting worse. It has done nothing to help recover any strength in the leg. Also I have an 8 station weight setup and a stationary bike I try to ride but it is not easy. Now we need to get this post back on tract. Let’s talk about hanging lights. I use a pulley and rope to hang mine. I have a hook at eye level that I tie off to. But say you have one hand that doesn’t work well. Maybe you have no use of that are. You can use the same system with one change. Instead of a hook to tie off to go to a boat shop and get a boat cleat. Then you use your foot to help hold the light as you raise it and then you use figure eights to tie the rope off and never have to tie a knot. I have many more. The baking pans with three gallon pots can be moved with your feet and you never have to bend all the way down to move plants around. With a little practice it becomes very easy to do with your foot or feet. Ok that’s all for now. I will let you all stop laughing about some of my method. Thank you for your time. Ok everyone lets keep this going. I can’t be the only one with any ideas. Let’s here them and help all people be able to grow their own meds.

Come on all let’s help everyone disabled or not OVERGROW the world so they can feel better.

5 Likes

Your experiences in the “medical world” are not unique.

Something in American medicine is missing.

I am glad this plant brings you comfort and grateful you get help from a loved one.

Keep seedin @Kelly

6 Likes