Disabled Veterans growers

I hope this is an attempt at humor and not trying to be sarcastic.

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that’s triggered by a terrifying event — either experiencing it or witnessing it. Symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event.

Most people who go through traumatic events may have temporary difficulty adjusting and coping, but with time and good self-care, they usually get better. If the symptoms get worse, last for months or even years, and interfere with your day-to-day functioning, you may have PTSD.

I dont think busting people for drugs, would cause PTSD…

Here, he clearly states that he was in Vietnam… We weren’t there busting drugs.

“Military-Grade” PTSD can be brought on by many factors leading up to it. The most common are stressful situations that are a day in and day out event. Be it seeing people die, or being constantly attacked, or even seeing something that stuck with you. Anything can cause PTSD or “shell-shock” as it was known as in 'Nam times.

Out of talking with mental health for the last 7 years, (@ the VA) we have figured where my PTSD stems from. About 2/3rd’s into my first tour, one of our squads got “S-Vested” and we lost 2 of our guys, 5 Australian Army guys (1 being top brass) and a handful of others were severely injured in the blast.

I was attached to a Calvary unit as a PFC doing electronics repair and was trained on the setup and maintenance of the SIPRNet system. (Something that required secret clearance)

On the day that we got hit, I was working on the SAM’s box (a system which connects via a secured satellite, so we can order military equipment). There was mass panic and everyone was getting in their vehicles. Everyone left in a hurry and about 20 mins later came rushing back. They offloaded the injured and trucked them to the aid station, I was tasked with getting the dead out of the back of the vehicles and getting them lined up in the garage. While I knew some of the people who got hit and died, it didn’t affect me until a year after I got home.

What really stuck with me through the whole thing, was the smell of blood, not only after the fact, but during the recovery. I’ll never forget it, forever etched in my nose.

After it was all said and done, we couldn’t do anything to the trucks for a week while an investigation went on, outside my units control. We couldnt clean or touch the trucks for a whole week.

Afghanistan temps reached 122-130 midday, with those trucks buttoned up in the heat. Myself and a few other lower enlisted people were tasked after the investigation to clean the trucks. Not even the gas masks we had were strong enough to cover that smell. In the end, after trying to clean it out. The truck sat unused for the rest of the tour.

Join a real branch.
^ thats a joke.

Honestly, of the Coastie’s I’ve talked to, they have had nothing but positive things to say about being a Coastie. Of the stories I’ve heard, it makes the CG sound more like a fraternity, instead of something like dealing with Active Duty military. While they adhere to the strict lifestyles of the military, they are far more laid back and family orientated.

I’ll leave everyone on this note for the night.

6 Likes

In the '60s, the weed in Nam was kinda hit-n-miss. Some was good some was meh, BUT the opiated hash was kickass! That’s what I went for more than anything else lol

6 Likes

I don’t mind talking about my PTSD. My first SAR case was a young kid who was fishing with his dad. Dad hooked son in the eyeball with a treble hook. The poor man was devastated to say the least. He blamed himself for maiming his kid. Then there was the shipping vessel that caught fire with mass casualties. Not to the mention the onslaught of hurricanes. Going out in missions over our limitations to save those unlucky to be in the storm. I caught a breather in California until 9/11. On that day I kissed my wife and kid goodbye for the days work (9-5 was the schedule)…I didn’t come back for a month because I had LE and Search and Rescue training from my last Duty Station. Fueled on redbull sweet tea and hot wings. I patrolled the perimeter of the island in a Humvee carrying my 9mm and a M16 for countless days until the others were qualified enough. We had desk jockeys who hadn’t shot since boot camp doing security. LOL When I left Cali. I headed home to the south. where I continued LE/Search and Rescue. This time we did tons of BUI’s and drownings Politics being what they were we took the low hanging fruit lots of times to get numbers on the LE side. Minor pot offenses made me angry. We busted a judge for taking out various docks in the ICW because he was in a nice big boat drunk as could be…however his boarding forms disappeared out of the LE database in a matter of days. Made me sick. Final draw. Left my wife and kid at holiday part to do emergency sar case. We had just sat down to eat…boat capsized out of limitations and AOR. We jam out. Put sailboat with broken mast trailing in water behind us in tow. Their crew a dad mom grandma and son. All overtaken by the conditions. Seas are double our allowable limit. Wind crazy. We are in a noreaster. Our crew gets sea sick except lucky me. Everyone is below deck or on the aft deck puking. Coxswain hands over ship to me. I say nope I’m the mechanic not the driver sir. We argue. Boat almost capsizes. He pukes we are good. takes a day to get back to shore. The Coast Guard was a blast. The folks I met were good for the most part. Like any fraternity you have turds. The politics and LE bullshit really made me sour. Plus over extending ourselves to save folk…I’d do it again…even though I have a family of my own to get back too. Exact reason I’m trying to get Cannabis legal in my state. I did my time so I should be able to smoke a damn plant if I want too.

7 Likes

Thanks all for your service. As a non veteran and grower, I feel like I can help folks out here locally and this is something I’ve thought about a bit. I produce my cannabis for a few people in my family for medical use, myself more for recreation, but I always have more than enough.

Are there local networks to get hooked up with veterans to help supply them with needed medicine so they don’t need to pay at the dispensaries? I’d love to help contribute but I don’t know where to start. I’m in the Chicago area BTW.

5 Likes

On the bright side it seems more likely than not that it’ll legal just about everywhere very soon.

@newb2.0 I’ve heard of a couple different veteran/cannabis advocacy groups but I really haven’t looked into any of them to see what they specifically do. But I do know they exist.

2 Likes

My state is not legal and the street prices are killing people literally. I don’t mind growing myself. finding good genetics that has got me baffled. I’m late to the party . If I had my s*** together back a few years I damn sure would have hit up subcool. He was a supplier if free beans to vets. I’m a disabled vet and I don’t have a lot of cash so I threw my stimulus into the grow. Getting good beans is costly. What I want to do is fine like-minded individuals. I can help people install grows no problem I have electrical Plumbing all of that background. And I have a degree in science. I just need to find all the parts so I can make this work. I found a group on Facebook that gets codes to vets so they can get very steep discounts on grow equipment. A good nute source and seed is all that is needed now. Once I figure it out it is my hope to be able to when a vet hits me up on a p.m. I’ll be able to help him navigate getting his grow set up all the pieces procured and genetics and nutrients taken care of. I feel that if you grow your own and don’t grow more than you need keep your nose clean you should be good to go. I don’t give a damn about the legalities I’m trying to save my brothers and sisters from dying 22 a day is way too many.

7 Likes

I weould have been a on electrician in the Army however in way out of MEPs a Coast Guard recruiter promised same money plus chance to surf and fish any time I wanted.

4 Likes

I did the same, entire thing.

6 Likes

I enjoyed my Coast guard years but it wasnt the dept of homeland security then,I too was at Search and rescue stations was a boatswain and a coxswain , I only got out because they actively got involved in the drug war in the 70’s. back then our station had a 44(44302) a 41(41344) a 20 ft penn yann(201503) and a 30 footer we retired

4 Likes

47 41 25 21 18 engineer and boarding.

3 Likes

i think all our petty officers were boarding officers with a few rare exceptions as well, we ran port and starboard, I originally had “guaranteed” MK school but some boatswain in boot camp asking if were in some tropical area I want to be below with oil in the bilges and its a 110F or up on deck with a fresh wind and its onl;y 100 lol

2 Likes

I was honestly asking. It was not a joke at all. I wouldn’t joke about stuff like that. I wasn’t sure what all the Coast Guard gets involved with.

My Dad’s a Vietnam vet who has PTSD. And my Grandfather was a WWII and Korean War vet. Since I was the first born male I inherited their medals. But I never joined. It looks like my Son is gonna be next to join the Service. I was just curious about the Coast Guard since that’s what he’s thinking. That or the Navy so far.

2 Likes

I got you man OG is the place for seeds, for sure. Hit me up in PM, lmk how many people you’re trying to help out and an address and ill get some seeds out for ya.

3 Likes

Stumbled upon this for the vets. Inside they have a private area, idk if people are linking up to offer their goods at discounted or free prices.

3 Likes

Thanks for your service sir. My brother gets deployed to Somalia in less than a week. He’s in the national guard but he’s infantry.

1 Like

1 Like

Juat an FYI to veterans on this thread that may not have seen this.

2 Likes

Good eye!!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I see it’s a old post. Thanks you

I’m a disabled vet. I waited until they wanted me to be on pain pills. I smoked up till a year before I joined. Doc wanted to put me on narcs and that’s where I drew the line. I’ve been smoking for going on 5 years now. I’m about to have 2 surgeries and family members are telling me I have to quit. I really don’t think it matters but just incase, any one here have surgery? Did you have to submit a drug test? They have done blood work already and nothing was said. So I’m interested in seeing if they do or not.