Discussing Archive Genetics

Please share and describe your experiences with Archive. This is a thread for all posts about your Archive grows, buying seeds, strain recommendations, questions, trades, and showing your collections.

This is also the place to discuss other breeders working with Archive genetics, your homemade outcrosses of Archive’s strains, and other related topics.

I’ll start with Moonbow 112 and Ginger Tea review/grow:

So, im not an archive fan - cus I barely just grew my first plants, but i was surprised there is no thread discussing his/their work. I remember reading good stuff about archive and then going to check the price and said, fuck no… then, I got moonbow and ginger tea as a gift and:

(for conclusion just skip to the bottom)

Warning: they ALL got nanners. Its sausage fest on the bottom nugs at early flower. I was incredibly bummed out when I had to go thru 40 minutes of reviewing plants and snapping nanner clusters. Having said that, NO SEEDS ON ANY. I grew more confident when at week 7-8 there were no visible swollen bracts/calyx so I thought I would find a couple seeds hidden on the innerside… but no. none, on none of them. is infertility inheritable? (Isn’t that how they do commercial bananas?… I digress. edit: no, no it isnt)

The ginger teas had better structure in general - they grew medium to tall-ish , with tight buds, some with wider node spacing than others, but in general good spacing. Terpenes were on the citrus side, with two (#9 and #10) being practically twins in both shape and lemongrass scent and perhaps a bit of ginger with a gassy backend. The other three ranged from fruity to sweet with minor degrees of gas. High wise, they are very similar I was expecting a stonier high from the Face-off/MB75 maybe? But its actually pretty stimulating right from the beginning and it only wears out into a light relaxing mode towards the very tail-end. its a good potency daytime smoke.

The Moonbows were a little funny…. i noticed many mutations/stress on the fan leaves (not sure if they were just deformities caused by early veg stress or just inbreeding showing). While in flower they developed their scents gradually more complex (from just menthol/mint to adding sweetness, and then gas), then when dried they remained sweet and minty. Two of them were covered as fuck and smelled gassy, minty and sweet (not fruity, not candy… can’t really put my finger on it, but I looked at leafly and it said “pear” and I thought for once leafly was somewhat right) but the structure on them was very different, one was taller - like the ginger twins - with wider node spacing and denser nugs, the other one didnt really stretcht that much and had tighter nodes and less dense nugs. The other two, (#7) was a runtish plant short, bushy, leafy, with lots of lime on it, it just grew awful and (#2) was sweet, lime, and some other fruit, it was medium height, and not the stand out, but a very high quality plant. #1 was the stand out of the whole tent and it went to prove it on smoke as well. The moonbows in general were potent heady and stimulating and slowly faded into a heavier, “bodier” (if that make sense) stone/relaxation - but not necessarily couch lock, although perfect for just stoning out. if I had grown only one or two I prob wouldn’t be talking high of it but the moon bow #1 is stellar, with good density, good yield, good structure, vigorous, nice minty/complex sweet taste, great potent and balanced head/body high, and great resin quality.

So conclusion for those who don’t want to read all the above bullshit:

They get manners, no seeds - I repeat, none. It was interesting because if you lined them up together you can easily find common ground, but the far ends were very distinct both in scent and high with incredibly high quality, both in smoke and resin. The high on the better ginger teas was very up with some relaxation but very clear and it don’t wear you out at all with a complex lemongrass to fruity taste even in joints. The moon bows have a potent “heady” and stimulating effect that slowly turns into a comfortable body stone/relaxation with a delicate sweet, minty, gassy taste. a neat correlation I saw on both strains was: the taller the plant, the better it was.

Would I put out the cash myself for some “premium” Archive? its tough but, probably not (cus I dont carry that kind of cash for 1 pack). while most of them were high quality, in the end im thinking of keeping only 1 of each (#1 moonbow, and #9 or #10 -havent decided- of ginger tea). So if I consider that I usually find keeper plants from one $30-50 pack, and def from two packs… that’s still cheaper (and its not like the rest of the plants in a $45 pack aren’t worth growing, most packs have similar quality across too, just a bit higher variation)… and not to mention that ive also found plants this good in OG member seeds. What is mentionable is that If I had spent the money, id be happy with what I got but… ive also been as happy with much cheaper packs. :man_shrugging:

PS

I wonder if they (the moonbows at least) are good breeding material given their - as marketed - careful deeper breeding work. Either way, im really glad I was able to grow them, and I get to keep two/three unique excellent plants.

family photo (with ancient og bombing the pic on the back left)

better gingers:

better moonbows

43 Likes

Some breeders just turn me off.

I respect his craft and dedication. He has a lane and he does it right. But I don’t have to like him :sweat_smile::man_shrugging:t2:

Good start to this much needed thread.

12 Likes

It’s so funny that you posted this thread because I’ve been getting back into reading the Archive Discord more this wk and Fletcher posted a new video on his YouTube account yesterday. I haven’t finished watching it all yet but I find him to be a very interesting and controversial figure in the cannabis breeder scene. To be clear though, I think he does great work.

There are a lot of ppl who think his work is on a God level and then there are the haters. It’s quite 50/50 from what I’ve been able to read and see. I read the entire Archive thread over on Roll It Up and man do the haters come out of the woodwork on that thread but at the same time people are so happy with his work they’re basically happy crying lol.

Mainly though, the big elephant in the room is the pricing on his seed packs… that is for sure a giant deterrent for a lot of people. Everyone has tried to explain that to him it seems but he is so stubborn that it turns people away.

He honestly seems like a smart guy to me and a savvy businessman. He does good work, there is absolutely no denying that. If he could set his ego aside and just lower his seed packs a little bit on some of the higher packs then I think he would sell more. In my opinion though, I don’t think he ever will. He wants to keep them in the upper echelon… it is what it is. People who know, know I guess and to him, the prices are worth the work he put into them.

My advice… wait for the Black Friday sale. I scooped up a pack of Rainbow Belts 3.0 and Oiishi last year and have been waiting eagerly to pop them. I paid a lot for those two packs and I honestly felt a bit ashamed about it but I have no doubt in my mind that those plants will be some of the best I will grow. I can say that with confidence after interacting with some of the growers who posted pics and write ups in the discord channel and not only that, Oiishi is sold out so I know that pack will hold some value.

Sorry about the novel but I was literally thinking of starting an Archive thread here when I popped one of my packs. I feel like Fletcher is one of the best in the game and I can’t wait to grow his stuff.

Here are the packs I have my eye on and if money wasn’t an issue, would buy asap:

Moonbow 112 IX - the pics and reports on this one are complete insanity

Puro Loco, Tahiti Lime, Moon Glow, Dark Rainbow, Casper OG, DosiFace, Designer OG, etc etc!

Cluster Bomb (Bombthreat Bubba x Face Off OG) - this one seems wildly underrated to me considering the high praise Caleb from CSI gives it.

Anyway… hopefully others chime in with their Archive grows and opinions!

14 Likes

I didnt want to get into it as im not fully in on it but yeah i have read that he is insufferable lol. and that he bitches about ppl breeding with his stuff. which is sort of the PS point lol.

ive read a lot of high praise for it, when you do grow them please post them it will def be interesting to see how those turn out.

thanks ill check that out but honestly, i dont think it will happen any time soon the way my wallet is weighing.

7 Likes

I’ll repost some rainbow belts from @RookieBuds

10 Likes

Sure does look nice but I’ve only ever heard the rainbow belts smokes like mids, granted it was the 2.0 not the 3.0…

Maybe great for extractors tho?

I can respect Fletcher’s craft for sure. He’s a smart guy, but I don’t have any of his gear save for FaceOff crosses from Samwell. Some of Archive’s gear isn’t crazy priced now. Like ~$100/pack, same as CSI really for a lot of it, but some of it is still up there for sure :thinking:

9 Likes

Being that I live close by their dispensary in PDX, I’ve tried a fair bit of their clones, but I’ve only popped four of Fletcher’s seeds, the Polynesian Thin Mint (which turned out quite good for cookies cross). I respect his game, he’s a good entrepreneur, if that’s what is important to you.

They did pretty much change the game with the hash rosin stuff, I believe they (Archive/Fletcher) were the first to modify a HarvestRight Freeze drier specifically for freezing hash to then squish to rosin, and then shared the modification with HarvestRight. So, that being said, I think a lot of his breeding/selections lean towards A.) very flavorful and B.) plants that extract and dump rosin well. I’m not saying all his selections lean that way, but with all the work they’ve done with Dosidos/Moonbow/Rainbow Belts fit that narrative, but I think the Face/Off hybrids are more geared towards flower smoking. The hash rosin I’ve bought from the store is some of the best I’ve ever smoked, insanely flavorful, but also quite pricey usually at $50-60/g plus tax.

I’ve enjoyed most of the clones I’ve run from their shop, they do have the healthiest clones I’ve seen in Portland, and they’re reasonably priced at $30-60 each. I really enjoyed the Rudeboi OG 7, which leans towards Irene a bit in flavor, but also has more of the OG smell from the FaceOff. The Rainbow Belts 2.0 flavor was pretty incredible, it would leave lingering tastes in my volcano bag, but as Holy mentioned, the high was just meh… nothing like the Rudeboi. They have a bunch of crazy clones up there now… Sherbacio, Lemon Tree, Ice Cream Cake, Yuck Mouth, Apple Fritter, Oreoz, Strawberry Gary, Super Boof, Lemon Cherry Gelato, and Forum GSC… so from those selections, you can kind of tell who their market is.

And yeah, their seeds are crazy expensive now, almost minimum $100 packs, but their new releases are $200-300 a pack. So that sucks if they herm out… but again, looking at most of the genetics they work with, I can’t say that I’m too surprised.

Anyways, I do respect them for providing clean clones to the community, they do have some OGs like Blueberry and GG4… and I appreciate the knowledge that Fletch brings to the game, he does drop some good info on lineage sometimes on the discord. And if you’re into hash rosin, they’re one of the best in Portland.

12 Likes

Super jealous of this! I need to make a cannabis journey out to Portland… I’d be hitting Archive PDX and anywhere that sells Puffin Farms’ stuff… I’m DYING to try their Hindu Kush, among other things.

Yep I tend to agree and you’re so right about how some of their stuff is more suited for flower production and other stuff for concentrates.

I’ve heard from a few other members about the “meh” high of the RB 1 and 2.0… I’m hoping that since the 3.0 has more of an OG influence that it will have boosted that aspect of the RB.

Well said bud!

3 Likes

I’ve dabbled in Archive genetics and it’s a prime example of “you get what you pay for” — to a degree. It’s not the high price that’s a problem, it’s that some packs are 250, some are 350, some are way less that you’d think would be more, etc. Whatever. I’ll stop babbling about it.

Have grown:
White Gold (original drop). It was “okay”, not nearly as amazing as the description made it out to be. Ultimately it was a great “cookies cross”, not much else to it.

Rainbow Belts (PCG cut). Amazing plant! Big heavy beautiful flowers, nice floral candied-gas smell, great overall effect and potency.

Flavour Pack: the most incredible smell of grandma’s favorite soap & potpourri, GORGEOUS flowers, the most perfect Kush exhale of any Kush that’s ever Kush’d.

Currently running three Slurricane seedlings, will report back on it.

14 Likes

Archive dropping some heat next wk for Black Friday. Some of these sound insane, just guessing on some of these crosses but I’m personally intrigued by that Dark Rainbow #11 S1, Planet Purple and Dark Dosi most.

6 Likes

I won’t deny it purchased a pack of dark rainbow #11. When I grow them I’ll try to throw up some picks. It’s actually my first time growing and of there gear.

6 Likes

I got puro loco as a freebie years ago. Popped 2 found a keeper that i am still holding. Just bought the last pack of oro blanco

7 Likes

regarding this last fem drop… these posts from 2017 cracked me up.

9 Likes

Lol is that Fletcher typing that?? He did eventually drop his expedition lines :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

yup thats him on trollitup. looks like he took that turn.

2 Likes

F2 seed run in my immediate future :metal::metal::metal:

9 Likes

Oh hell ya… ppl really seem to snatch them up when the right cross comes up for sale.

2 Likes

Off topic for the black Friday deals, but do people still run the og manic crosses when archive first started?

Anyone got a pack of shark bite un the vault?

1 Like

its called trolling… dont take him so seriously.
you have to understand the amount of dumb shit he deals with.
put real money into genetics and it is easy to understand his point of view.

he is still one of the best, if not the best breeder in the country and arguably the world.

back in the overgrow days he was just a kid… but look at what he accomplished. do work.

5 Likes