DIY Home repairs

Still hard outta likes.

For those who are serious hand tool users, like tradespeople, this is, imo, hands down the finest tool bag made today. I used mine at least five days a week, often more, for more than 15 years. Hard use. It got banged around a lot. It got shoved off a counter top once (and you can believe the guy that did it heard about it!). As I used it, it weighs in at about 75lbs. In all that time, one rivet that holds down a flap, a feature I literally never used, broke. Otherwise, it’s like new. I’ll try to remember to take a picture and post it the next time I’m in the garage. In the meantime, here’s the Veto Pro Pac website.

One of the things I most like about the bag is that on each side, your larger hand tools stand on end, each in separate pockets. Once you’re familiar with where your tools are, there’s no need to look for that damn wrench when you’re under a sink. You simply reach. No shit. There are also smaller pockets with zippers for smaller tools. Sure, those lay horizontally, but when you know where to look, your hand will be your eyes. It is such a time saver! There is so much tool storage in such a small unit.

About the cost, and they are expensive (but definitely not cheap), when I bought mine in 2003, it was about $150. Big fucking money for a tool bag. And they are, of course, more expensive today. The thing is, it will probably be the last tool bag you will ever buy. That is, unless you buy another Pro Pac! Maybe a different model.

This is the model I have. You can see in the lower left, there’s a speed square hiding. Those pockets are perfect for longer or wider tools, like your speed square, hammers, longer bars, etc, you might regularly use. Under the handle you see what appear to be two business cards sticking up diagonally. That’s one of the zippered pockets for smaller tools. I use it for punches, Allen wrenches, a small hand mirror, all kinds of stuff. I keep a small bag of wooden golf tees for plugging holes, and a Japanese pull saw in one of the long lower pockets for cutting the tee off once the Dutch boy is in place. Those zipper pockets will become so useful. As for the zippers, all of the zippers, I’ve never had any problem with any of them. Not once, and it would be difficult for me to estimate how many times I have opened particularly the main zippers. So many thousands of times! There’s also… Oh, I won’t go on. You get the picture. If you’re a serious hand tool user, as I was, I just can’t encourage you enough to make this investment. You will so thank yourself in 15 years!

One last thing. My Veto Pro Pac will be the very last tool that I ever get rid of, and I will rue that fucked up day. No shit.

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of this, have almost gone to a bucket or milk crate organizer system for that reason. I like to keep tools standing in #10 steel cans (the restaurant size) and after a while it gets like that- reach in the direction of the right can and flip through the items there without looking until the right one of a half dozen comes into hand

What a great looking system, thanks @mota

2 Likes

I’m also a fan of #10 cans, and for the same reason. :+1:

You are welcome! I couldn’t believe how many more products they make now than when I bought my bag.

2 Likes

How does the chuck tighten. That’s cool.

1 Like

Those are nice bags.
The couple of times I’ve looked into them, they’ve been out of stock for the one I wanted.

I have some bad ass tool bags - pouches, but I hate wearing them, so for the 10 or so hand tools I use at work, I use buckets, and these bad boys.

A few of the younger guys at work don’t wear tool belts anymore and instead wear these euro style work pants.

4 Likes

Here’s what I wanted (Specifically one of their vests):

All you have to do is ignore the prices.

I also wanted one of the tool backpacks, instead of a toolbox or bag carried in one hand. Never ended getting either though.

I’ve turned this into a tool thread.
Edit: Formatting.

5 Likes

Tools are cool!
I’ve noticed that topics morph into all directions here on Overgrow.
Moderation seems to be minimal.
That being said,
I can geek out on tools for days. :grin:

I have a tool vest made by Diamondback.
I really wanted to like it but it didn’t fit my portly frame too well.

3 Likes

i saw a nice rolling toolbox that had compartments for everything that cost like $150 or so. me being one who hates wasting money went to goodwill and got a samsonite carry on bag for $5 that has lasted about three years so far with no end in sight. i have to dig a little bit sometimes but it’s well worth it to me.

2 Likes

It’s just a standard screw-down collet, your standard 90s-erakeylessera keyless drill chuck. I’d probably tighten them with a pair of vice grips for drilling?

1 Like

Vests are great, I have an old 5.11 tactical khaki vest that I used to use as a medical vest for emergency medicine stuff but now is my sometimes tool vest, it’s just too big for me though, and designed around rifle clips and such not tools. This is the vest I would like to get someday, seems really clean and minimal. I like that they come with a couple hard shell pocket liners for sharp tools, that’s something I end up doing sometimes with a old plastic bottle stuck in my pocket, with some closed cell foam taped into the bottom of it to grab the points of knives and chisels etc

https://www.acmetools.com/occidental-leather-builders-vest-2535/759244223309.html

Or even the bigger one, I’m not usually on a ladder or wearing a large tool belt, I use my old bike messenger hip pouches for that (truck tarp liner, 1000d Cordura shell) along with surplus MOLLE pouches

https://www.acmetools.com/occidental-leather-oxy-pro-work-vest-2575/759244211801.html

1 Like

I feel like a slob now with my bucket buddy haha. It held everything I needed, and if I really fucked up (meaning fluid is pouring out of something) could be dumped out and used as a normal bucket haha.

3 Likes

Those are very nice. The hard shelled bottom is awesome.

4 Likes

And that, my friend, is the only thing that really counts!

2 Likes

If I ever receive a surprise inheritance or find a brick of cash on the ground, I’m getting myself one of these, this is my tool Holy Grail

Abbey is a relatively new company making their tools entirely in the US and they’re really advancing the state of the art with bicycle tools, great company! Who needs bling?

Yes, that’s a titanium hammer with a replaceable soft face for hitting $5000 bikes with

1 Like

I have a vest for pheasant hunting that would work in a pinch. Lots of pockets and pouches.

2 Likes

No kidding. That tool bag will outlast me by so long, and the whole bag seems to be structured around the hard bottom!

Looking at some of the vests above, I could see really liking some of those. Limited capacity, but very functional. Ditto shoulder hanging bags. Fuck bags hanging on belts, but that was all there were when I was young.

4 Likes

That’s nice.

This would be mine. Of course, there are a very limited number available (1), and it isn’t really available. It’s a serious woodworker’s tool chest.

11 Likes

The nice thing about the Occidental ones and some other brands like CLC is that they vests have those D rings on the hem, reinforced to hold the same tool pouches a belt would have, so you can expand the storage when you need it but take it off when you don’t. I like that! Also don’t love belt weight, I’d rather have a vest or a crossed suspenders type rig

2 Likes

Good old Henry Studley, that tool chest is one of the greatest pieces of culture to come out of Massachusetts IMO I love those sorts of things. Have you seen this guy who’s remade a reproduction, Dr Jim Moon?

3 Likes

Hard outta likes. Again.

That could be a cool-ass feature!

I’d probably go with suspendered bags. Having the weight on one’s shoulders makes more sense to me than having belted bags pulling directly on your low back. I wore them for way too many years. I do still own them though.

No kidding! It is so stunningly beautiful and just jamb packed with tools. It’s got to be a monster to lug around. Probably a two man job.

I have not. I bought a poster of the Studley chest probably 40+ years ago, and have wondered ever since if, and when, someone would attempt to reproduce it. I’m going to go find that.

Found it. Fuuuuuuuuuuck…

3 Likes