Do you keep a log of your seeds in Excel?

I keep a notepad on my phone with cells added to look like a two column spread sheet. One column for Breeder and Strain, one column for all else - description, parentage, etc. Its grouped by breeder. Within each breeder group, strains are grouped based on parent plants. I’d like to make it more extensive, but my computer is shitting the bed. Great ideas here!

3 Likes

I’m tempted to build out the template on google docs and share it.

3 Likes

I’m still old school. Green note book with pot leaf hand drawn on cover. A good writing pen :pen:

My grow notes are in a similar note book.

I guess I need to get with the times. Great ideas in here.

3 Likes

Since the title of this thread only talked about the seeds, I only talked about that sheet in my Excel file. I also have an additional sheet per grow, including which/number of seeds started, when they were soaked, sprouted, put into flower, and open notes where I try to tray when/how much water, nutes etc. The open notes section sometimes gets sparse depending on the grow. But for example, right now I’m testing out new-to-me nutes, so I’m trying to track a little more carefully about what I see, when I see it, and what I’ve done.

5 Likes

I almost want to get a demo of your workbook… ugh that makes me sound like such a nerd

1 Like

Same. See below for a screenshot of my sheets within the workbook.

Grow info documents length, costs, weight, $/g, etc of my different grows. Log is a notebook-type log of each grow. Calendar is a quick overview of the grows from a calendar perspective. Nutrients is just a small table of how much MegaCrop to add to certain volumes of water for the different growth stages. Mycology is tracking my mushroom runs.

6 Likes

You guys are way more organized than me. I have this little shoebox…

I really should excel though and I should enlist Mrs Foreigner to help me because I’m shit at such things.

3 Likes

There should be an OG excel logging class :rofl: :star_struck:

call it "How OG’s excel at Excel

4 Likes

I would enrol in such a class but would probably need to stay after school for extra credit. “Where is the ON button?”

3 Likes

Use of Excel for me borders on OCD. I have workbooks for a lot of stuff. Just a sampling:

With consumable inventory being my weed / mushroom logs.

6 Likes

I do the same. I’m have some Sweet Island Skunk coming Tursday I believe.

1 Like

So I do have a log………now I need to update it with ideas from you guys! One thing I’ve been keeping track of lately are how many beans that didn’t pop for each strain.

You showed me a picture of that box and I’m still having panic attacks about it! :rofl:

3 Likes

Hello my fellow growmies :heart:

Im a software developer by trade and ive been thinking of making a seed collecting app for awhile now. I saw this thread and it seems im not the only one in need for such a app. My thoughts is that ill start with a webapp and later mirror it to iOS and Android. Maybe even make a PC/Mac version of it.

What do you guys think about this? And If you got any ideas of what a such app would need. I would love to hear all about it. I already got the backend atm, so i will have an alpha for you to try in about 2 weeks.

Edit: Also, i need a name! I suck at names so If youre got an idea of a good name i would love If you could share :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Pz out :pray:t2::v:t2:

8 Likes

@LonelyOC Thanks! We’ve all been wondering when you were going to show up! :joy: Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. My first thought is; “More trying to type on that little phone keyboard?” …But my second thought was how good it would be to just whip out my phone in the field! Would be nice if the app and the computer versions could interact…phone in the field/computer keyboard for more lengthy entries. Good luck bro, we’ll be waiting! :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Yeah, the backend will save everything so your data will be available on every device. It will start out as a website/webapp so you can type on your computer and edit/interact with your data on the phone.

Pz :v:t2:

3 Likes

Hey I do dab in a bit of IT I can host the app and I can throw in some input if you’d like. Barcode scanning or QR code scanning is probably the safest bet to alleviate the whole typing everything out issue.

1 Like

I actually had a project I was working on it for something completely different but it utilized an inventory system just like this so I’d be happy to share the ideas.

1 Like

@Ris that sounds awesome. I got an raspberry pi running at an office that im using as deployment, but if you got something more powerful that would be much appreciated. The backend code is written in Java and the frontend is a Node stack with a React app. Is this something your service can handle?

Pz :v:t2:

Google cloud Baby, ill spin you up what you need. I run about 5 websites through there now. I have one wp site that is on a vm, i can put you on a vm as well. My project was similar i was using angular and NPM

1 Like