Doc D cannabis seeds

@minitiger
following up from a long time ago, here is archive’s rudeboy og grown outdoor in organic soil. This was grown in 2018 so it has cured to a full amber.

It wasn’t one of my favorites. I found it really generic, and it didn’t resemble an OG line at all in appearance or effect. The genetics are Irene OG x faceoff og.

The most positive things I can say about it are that it definitely has the same floral fruit loops smell as the Irene OG, and it produces decent concentrate yields.

The bud is harsh whether you smoke or vaporize it. I had tried it as dispensary bud and it was always harsh. I figured I could grow a much better product with the same clone in my organic garden, but it came out exactly the same as the commercial bud grown with synthetic nutrients. This is the only time I have experienced that. With every other cut I have grown, I have always been able to grow way higher quality bud compared to the commercial product.

This has no resemblance to the classic bay area and southern california OG’s that people from california associate with the OG name. The structure is very apically dominant and produces a large primary cola with minimal branching. That is the opposite of a true og which produces small raspberry sized buds all over the plant, with lots of viney horizontal branching.

This looked like a dutch indica, not an Ocean Grown. This would die a horrible bud rot death if you grew it in the foggy coastal conditions that real Ocean Grown strains are adapted for.

The high is kind of a dumb sedative effect with couch lock.

Again, I wouldn’t compare it to a real og. I would describe a classic california OG as having the calmness of an indica with a very heady perspective altering effect, body euphoria, immediate pain relief and appetite stimulation, and some other sensations that I associate with african or thai sativas.

The irene OG comes from atlanta, and it appeared at a time when any really high quality bud or bud from out of state was frequently referred to as ‘kush’ or ‘og’ regardless of the strain. There is really no evidence that it has any shared lineage with the classic OG lines. At best it may be a distant relative by way of the emerald triangle green bud that was bought to florida and became known as triangle kush.

So in fairness, this may be a decent representation of the irene og.
but it’s still not as high quality as actual irene, so I don’t get the point of this rudeboy as a clone only. the irene was also a clone only and I liked that bud a lot better.

Archive said this smelled like gasoline and kush, and was like the classic OG’s of the early 2000’s. That was just sales pitch, and it set me up for disappointment.

16 Likes

Yeah, as soon as I started reading what you wrote, I immediately thought,”Sounds like ten years ago, when everything was ‘Blahblahblah OG’.”

I was JUST digging through one of my Uplift jars and was noticing how small all the buds are. I mean, I noticed that a long time ago, but yeah, literally five minutes ago I was looking at it and thinking how those plants just did not grow anything but little tiny buds. Which is fine. Smokes great. Seems like that one was pretty OG dominant. I agree about the high type, too. OG’s have always been an almost soaring type of high for me, never understood when people said that Whatever OG knocked them out.

Anyway, thanks for remembering haha. I’d totally forgotten about that. I guess I won’t be growing any of that Rudeboi cross any time soon. At least it was just a freebie.

8 Likes

This year I am growing archive’s blueberry, and their Overflow OG (colorado flo x faceoff og).

People seem to really like their blueberry locally so I am hopeful about that. It definitely has the true blueberry leaf crinkle.

Archive has the legal clone market here basically monopolized, so I am really hoping to find something I like from them. I’m hoping Doc D’s use of the overflo is a good endorsement.

These definitely have traits desirable for commercial production.

I should mention, archive is consistently weird about their genetics and practices. What I hear from people in the industry who work with them, and even from their own budtenders, is completely contradictory to archive’s “official” story from their advertising, and social media.

For example, archive sells “rudeboi #7” and “dosidos #33”. They say they have one selected phenotype, and when you buy a clone from them, you are getting a cutting of a single selected phenotype that they hold. They say that their blueberry and sour diesel are old clone only lines that they hold.

According to their own budtenders and the manager of a dispensary that stocks their clones, all of their cuts are from seed lines. Archive frequently “refresh” the mothers for plant health reasons and to comply with various legal aspects and testing requirements of our production system.

It sounds like they start a large batch of seeds and select the most similar female, probably through lab testing. I know this is how they make their selections for new lines. They grow out a large batch of females from seed and select the pheno with the highest thc percentage.

So there might not be a specific “rudeboy 7” or “dosidos 33,” as they rotate their mother stocks it could be a different phenotype which has probably been selected for a similar cannabinoid profile and terpene content.

In my opinion this probably a good thing, or at least it would be if they were straightforward about it.

They operate in the very tightly regulated legal market, and yet they are still selling seeds of their genetics internationally which is illegal here. None of the other legal production businesses in this state can do that. Archive clearly have some kind of exception or look-the-other-way policy from the organization that regulates and inspects licensed producers. I don’t know why they are the only people in the local legal market who are allowed to continue a grey market business while also operating legally licensed grow, sales, processing, and nursery facilities.

It’s possible that this is the reason for their inconsistent stories, and they literally can’t talk about their real methods and business because of their legalized commercial presence.

They could also have legitimate traditional reasons for being weird about their blueberry and sour diesel. Those were black market lines so I can respect it if they are simply protecting their sources. DJ Short doesn’t want anyone working with his blueberry, so that’s potentially a good reason not to acknowledge that source.

But I think a lot of it comes down to advertising, and maintaining proprietary control of their most valuable products.

11 Likes

That’s interesting about Archive. Really shitty, but interesting nonetheless. It could maybe bode well for the crosses that Doc D is making, though. If Archive is constantly “refreshing” their “clones,” maybe it’s possible that Doc got one of the newer (or older) “clone-onlys” like the Rudeboi etc and is using those for his crosses. He did tell me that the Sour Diesel he’s using, which is Archive’s, is the closest thing to real Sour Diesel he’s found. Either way, I won’t be buying any Archive gear haha.

Are you logging that? I feel like I haven’t seen you post in your log in a long time.

7 Likes

I haven’t documented these yet, I am growing them outdoor. I am way behind on my grow updates in my log, I will probably be catching up on smoke reports before I start posting new updates. For a while my indoor grow was just on autopilot with everything in veg, but I am starting to get more involved with it again and will be flowering again and making more seeds.

He did tell me that the Sour Diesel he’s using, which is Archive’s, is the closest thing to real Sour Diesel he’s found.

I’m really intrigued by their sour diesel and blueberry. I just don’t understand why they hide the fact that these are seed lines, not just a clone only.

Either way, I won’t be buying any Archive gear haha.

I’ll just stick to making my own gear with their clones haha
I definitely don’t support their seed business, the pricing is ridiculous especially when you consider that they are making a healthy profit from an already well funded legal business.

11 Likes

for the people discussing the bananastan (ethiopian banana x X18pakistani), here is my tester report on bodhi’s ethiopian banana x omg as well as some photos

11 Likes

Cool Doc hooked me up with both freebies.

17 Likes

I’m thinking that GG#4 x Afkansastan/X18 Pakistani is gonna be something special

3 Likes

Ahhhh, you got that Triangle/AfPak cross. I’ve been trying and trying to resist ordering those. Every night I go to bed thinking,”I’ll email him in the morning to see if they’re still available…” and then I wake up and I’m like,”No! Don’t do it!” I’m probably gonna break down and get them, though.

12 Likes

Grab em while they in the pre release faze.
Plus doc said the afpak male is getting a retirement party so might not be available in its current genetic make up in the future.
@minitiger

6 Likes

What he said. They’ll probably be gone for a while, and then $60 the next time you see them.

7 Likes

where can you get doc d’s seeds?

(is the payment less inconvenient than a money order like great lakes genetics?)

2 Likes

docdseeds@gmail He sends a mailer out the first of the month. Also, headies.

Cash only. I don’t know if that’s less or more inconvenient than a money order for you. I usually have at least a few hundred bucks on me, so it’s definitely easier than a money order, but I know some people don’t like putting cash in an envelope. I’ve never had an issue with him, though.

9 Likes

I’ve ordered from Doc several times now. Cash in a tracked, padded envelope. He’s always quick to respond, and very communicative about when your $ arrives and he’s sending a care package.

12 Likes

A Doc d smoke report sort of.lol
Ok so I rarely and really dont like doing smoke reports. Reason being is i have a high tolerance and will probably have someone underestimating what they bout to get into. And or giving something a less than stellar review when to most it would probably be good shit. So I just don’t say shit sometimes.
Which brings me to the Bandaid Haze ix 3.0 pungent pheno as I was calling it.
So I smoke some with a friend. And according to him the smell I describe as onions and garlic and meat he says actually smells like the butt of a particular cultivator of Mango if picked when it’s still green.
Now my friend was already fried when we lit up the Bandaid and he was like “damn I thought I was high but now I know I’m high”.
Now that’s (Bandaid) all he keeps talking about. Said he had to work later that day and was still high.
He might not have the tolerance I have but I know for a fact that he smokes a lot of people under. So if he says that it means something.

19 Likes

Labyrinth Seed Bank carries a couple of Doc D’s releases too. They currently take a couple electronic payment methods, if that’s what you’re searching for.

That said, if you trust the USPS not to lose your tracked package, obtaining seeds from Doc D is pretty easy.

8 Likes

That’s right, I knew there was another seed bank, couldn’t remember which one. I just looked at what they had (because of course I did, wouldn’t want to miss out on something haha), Deep Space Dream Bud and the Dragon Hammer. The Deep Space sounds really good, but I’m gonna skip them.

Because I broke down and am ordering those TK/AfPak seeds today. Pathetic…

15 Likes

Do it dude!! I wasn’t going to but I broke down and don’t regret it one bit lol package arrived today and those are the first ones hitting the soil!

6 Likes

Oh yeah, man, it’s done. Money got stuffed in an envelope and sent yesterday haha.

Log those seeds you’re gonna plant and tag me, if you don’t mind.

September 1, I’m planting some Bandaid Haze and Outer Limits. Got space for six more seeds, I’m thinking Freeborn’s Skycuddler Kush f3’s or Mandelbrot’s Royal Kush. Can’t decide yet. Anybody have any experience with the Skycuddler or the Royal?

11 Likes

Skycuddler absolutely throws down. That’s my vote for sure. It’s got the greasy resin, crazy nose, and a super vigorous and resilient line especially for an f3. Helped grow it on a farm I’m working at this summer and it was the winner out of a 12 strain hoophouse. Heard great things about the royal too, just never had the pleasure to see it on the vine

6 Likes