Doc D cannabis seeds

Beautiful buds!

3 Likes

Yeah, I dunno. I grew in three-gallons for a few years and actually got better results than when I switched to seven-gallons, as far as soil-to-ounces is concerned. Coulda just been the genetics I was growing at the time, I dunno haha, but maybe Iā€™ll switch back to smaller pots, if for no other reason than it would allow me to grow more plants every round. I need to get through some seeds hahaā€¦

10 Likes

ive had my best results in 3 gal pots (i do soiless tho). the 1 gal are just my irresponsible way of cramming two packs in a 3x3. i dont think its worth it if youre not actively looking for a pheno etc. im counting the days until i can go back to 3 gal once ive gone over (and hopefully clone/reveg) the stuff that interests me this year.

9 Likes

I did an experiment from 2014-2016 on my indoor where I tried different dimension containers.

I found shape to be more important than volume, til you get to 2x volume.
I found that plastic dorm-style trash bins did best - both as 3-gal and 7-gal configuration and shallow yet volumous containers did the worst.

I browsed through NCBI to figure why this is and it came down at a specific depth (about 14") there will be another class of microorganisms that wil thrive and they werenā€™t found in shallow containers in the papers I read.

I think another aspect is watering.
The dorm room style bins flared at the top and constructed towards the bottom.
This allowed a greater surface area on the topsoil for microbial action and when I tore the containers open, I saw that watering was more consistent with this flared shape compared to straight up and down containers

22 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for sharing @Wuachuma

8 Likes

Nahhhh, dude, youā€™re not being ā€œirresponsibleā€; youā€™re just growing! Haha.

I actually think itā€™s more worth it. And this is just me thinking here, but if youā€™re looking for a specific pheno (or just the ā€œbestā€ representation of a given seed line), it seems to me like youā€™d wanna provide the plants with the most ideal environment possible. Which (again, just thinking here) would mean giving the roots as much room as they need.

For somebody like me, though, who never takes clones, doesnā€™t make seeds and just grows everything one time, Iā€™m starting to think maybe I should switch back to my olā€™ three-gallon potsā€¦ You got me thinking, anyway haha.

Yeah, thatā€™s interesting for sure (I read your whole post, but didnā€™t wanna quote all of it haha). Were all of the pots you used plastic? Or did you use smart pots/air pots/fabric pots or whatever, too?

I always veg in plastic containers and then move them into the seven-gallon fabric pots for flowering. Something Iā€™ve noticed is that the roots basically quit growing once they get transplanted into the flowering containers, despite the fact that I veg them for two weeks in the seven-gallons before I flip. When I chop and recycle the soil, the rootball is basically the same size as it was when I transplanted from my half-gallon containers into the seven-gallon fabric pots, never really understood why.

Anyway, yeah, just wondering.

12 Likes

Just curious are you scuffing up the root ball when transplanting. 3 week veg in the new pot should produce more roots youā€™d think?

7 Likes

Key, that, especially out of plastic. They keep growing in plastic, trying to find a way out/ more dirt.

Edit, again: Itā€™s best to short-circuit that ā€œextraā€ root length

6 Likes

Yeah, all plastic.
Ive used smartpost / airpots on big farms, just not in my experiment.

And yeah, having examined many rootballs and containers after the season, I see the main rootball stays withing a specific area. But then there are feeler roots and tinier roots that extend out.

And then theres thereā€™s perched water table.
And I think thats the big effect on tall containers is it allows more zones of saturation vs aeration.
Ive found plants like to find their own food and water rather than being forced to drink/eat. So keeping most of the water away from the rootball through depth is ideal.

9 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve for sure done that. Used a knife to cut up the root ball a little bit, broken it up by hand to ā€œloosenā€ it or whatever, done all kinds of things. And Iā€™ve also done nothing at all haha, just transplanted with a big-ass root mass right into the fabric pots.

For the current grow, I transplanted earlier than I usually do. A lot of the time (every time haha), I wait until I start seeing roots exploding outta the drainage holes in the veg containers. Basically, I let them get rootbound, but I didnā€™t for this grow. I did notice, as the males appeared in the seven-gallons and I killed them and recycled the soil, that there was decent root development (or more root development, anyway), so Iā€™ll probably continue to do it that way moving forward.

Yeah! Exactly. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve noticed too when I recycle my soil, is that the root ball is exactly the same size as the pot it was transplanted from, despite the fact that it was in the flowering containers for a couple weeks before flipping.

Anyway, I think I got it down now.

Iā€™ve been growing for years and I still donā€™t know what the fuck Iā€™m doingā€¦ haha.

17 Likes

By anychance could you point me in the right direction were I might be able to aquire a few snips or clon of doc d cut of bandaidhaze #7 ā€¦ I reached out to doc but he has since closed his genetics library to the public he told me he passed out a good number of his keeper cuts so they are out there I been searching bandaid haze on this site and came across your post thank you for your time

6 Likes

The BH7 is out there. People are definitely growing it and keeping moms. Not sure who has cuts available. One thing I am sure of thoughā€¦this top shelf life ainā€™t easy.

16 Likes

Search breedbay and icmag.

2 Likes

Hang out, pop some seeds, share info with others about what you find, and maybe that BH No.7 will end up in your mailbox some day.

Goji Razz x Lemon Thai

Lemongrass, metallic, pine, sandalwood, raspberry tartness. Really sticky, oily, high quality resin on this one that transitions in smell from Lemon Thai on the front to Goji Razz on the back.

Very potent head stone that seems typical from these LT dominant phenos. Emotional effects are strong, helps me a lot with mindfulness. But this can be too much, borderline emotionally psychedelic when fresh off the vine.

Really unique combination of metallic berry gets into the sinuses, reminding me of tasting something really really tart and nose puckering. Then it transitions to more of a pine type OG with sandalwood notes on the back end.

Scoping and potentially chopping today. Also going to test wash to see if we have any solventless potential.

30 Likes

IME you are 100% on container shape. I think its due to media depth and ease of capillary action. The tall pots just distribute water more efficiently because they work with gravity rather than against it.

I think container size only determines irrigation schedule and veg time for root development. We all basically have a pre-determined plant size that we are shooting for by the end of stretch. We will need a specific transpiration rate potential in the root zone to sustain that plants biomass and leaf transpiration.

You can meet that potential with many different combinations of root density and pot size combined with irrigation. Irrigation volume and frequency being the two big ones. Small pots get high root density/low volume, and higher frequency irrigation. The same plant in a 7 gallon pot would only need hand watering once every 3 days or so with a well developed root mass.

There may be some other subtle differences relating to media biology and drydown/steering stuffā€¦ But those are minor IME.

14 Likes

Black Magic Haze
Around Day 60

51 Likes

Iā€™ve finally gotten around to sampling flower from a Wat Pho and a Malibu Pure Kush x Dragon Energy I grew outside over the summer. Iā€™m not entirely confident the Wat Pho went long enough, I took it out till the end of the first week of November, which is awhileā€¦ but still.

Anyway, I suck at describing flavors/smells but the Wat Pho has a tropical fruity scent and flavor that I canā€™t quite put my finger onā€¦ maybe mango or papaya? Sativas arenā€™t usually my jam, but this oneā€¦ Iā€™ve noticed itā€™s pretty up and bright and clearheaded at first, but if I put the bowl out for a little while and come back to it to finish it offā€¦ itā€™s all kinds of stoneyness.

The MPK/DE, I feel like it might be limey sweet. It definitely registers as citrusy, but not lemon. Wow, stoney AF. Time for me to bug out.

29 Likes

Black Energy No. 3 which I think is more Black Triangle/Hashplant dominant. Very oily rag/fuel forward with some sweet pine in there too. Very slight citrus on the back.

This pheno produces really good hash, lots of fuel/oil and limonene up front, sour oily mouth staining flavor after a few rips. Has a stimulating high up front without too much of a crash later, very potent stuff. Really reminiscent of the better OG x 88g13hp phenos.

Everything from these packs was really really good. Love this pairing, kept 2 cuts.

Goji Razz x Lemon Thai. Smells heavily of lemongrass, metallic tartness, berries, and sandalwood. Currently drying, cant wait to smoke it

Sour D x Lemon Thai Pheno 14, still flowering with like 2 weeks left minimum. Has that same sweet lemongrass metallic note, very Lemon Thai dominant in smell. Its dramatically more dense and put together than the LT F5 so the sour definitely helps with structure. Hopefully some sour notes are present in the smoke and the high is a good as I remember lol

Temple x Lemon Thai. Temple and LT both seem to very dominant in crosses, so it was fun seeing how they worked together. Overall it was very good, better consistency/quality and IMO a better flavor combo than Dragon Temple with higher potency.

We avoided the really sweet cleaner phenos in favor of more hazy smells. Melon citrus on the front end with sandalwood, onion, BO, spraypaint on the back end. It gets more offensive as it cures with less citrus and more BO/onion.

This hunt was really cool because of that metallic smell coming through on both the sour and goji crosses. Its similar to what I have seen in some A5/Thai hunts. I remember a couple of the jars of Sour D x LT curing up months later to a hazy sortof note too. Makes me wonder what may be happening there.

38 Likes

Man those lt crosses are some lookers really need to find me that Gogi razz x lt that sounds and looks like a real winner!

5 Likes

Iā€™m still kinda kicking myself that I didnā€™t jump all over Doc D seeds while the newsletter was still running. You donā€™t know what you got till itā€™s gone.

12 Likes