Dragons Flame Genetics Breeder Grow Log -2023

Well, its 2023, and I figured with my next cycle, Ill start a new thread as so much of my grow style is about to change. Probably some of the biggest indoor changes Ive done in a decade. Ive been doing soil…well a long time now. But at my current rental, the workflow with soil isn’t working for me. So much mess, and lugging plants and heavy pots around is no longer something I want, as double hernia repair already happened.

So…My next chapter…

I’ve been gathering parts, but long story short, I will be setting up one of my 5x5 tents with a 4 site RDWC system. I’m going to plumb it myself, but for all intents and purposes, its a current culture setup. I am using their 13 gallon buckets, with a 13 gallon epicenter rez. My current run is still a month out from harvest, so Its still in the plotting and planning phases, but soon enough!

My general plan for this tent will be for pollination projects of my top 4 strains. With less space then I typically have had over the less 15 years to do my typical level of pheno hunting / breeding / crosses etc, Ive decided focus on my absolute best, and let others handle working with cookies and hype.

So, my first run I plan to have the 4 plants as:

Blackberry Moonshine Bx1
Blackberry Moonshine #12
Modified Macberry Moonshine
Haole Moonshine #13 or possibly the chem 91 VA cut or my cherry pie x mac dragon, I haven’t 110% decided on that last slot yet.

This first cycle in the current culture will be interest for sure, I plan to do a short veg, and flip, with the tent next to it housing which Blackberry Moonshine bx1 male(s) I select to seed the CC run.

Depending on how things go, I may convert the second tent over to RDWC as well, but will have to see how the maiden run goes.

Nute wize, Im pretty certain Im going to run the Vegaflora nutrient line, as several people Ive been inspired by use it and swear by its ph stability and with their RDWC they all said it takes very little ppms, and they dont get the bio film, algae growth, or any gunk building up in their system.

My paramount concerns with swapping over - I don’t want to lug pots and hand water anymore. I want to be able easily keep the room, and tents, and work areas, pristinely clean, and I want to reduce mess and waste.

So anyway - Since no thread is complete with out some photos…

30 Likes

Heres the Modified Macberry Moonshine cut - This was bred by me in collaboration with twotoneGenetics.

Selected by Cannaessentials, and has been tested at 4.2, 5.9 and 5.4% terps across 3 runs. Highly mildew and mold resistant here in Oregon, throws down like the gmo, but takes 9 weeks instead of 13. Terps are skunkier, more garlic, less Thai food and bo then the GMO. Shes been hitting the shelves in oregon with raving reviews, and her returns in the wash were high like most GMO offspring. Shes in my top 10 smokes personally. No frills, no color, just solid green bud that is highly terpene rich and packs the wallop that we expect from green bud.

27 Likes

Blackberry Moonshine #12 - My longest running mother. I’ve been rocking with this gal almost as long as I’ve been with my wife. Tangerine Candy with skunky funky booze notes. Dank af, and resinous to the max. Breeding wize - she passes the skunk and tangerine notes heavily, as well as stellar resin content, and generally increases stretch, yield, and resistances to fungal pressure. In Hawaii she did have some Septoria issues if it was raging in the greenhouse, but even that - she was one of the last to show shows, and with ipm, you could keep it septoria free or atleast minimal septoria. Most mainland growers would never have to worry about that though, as thats mostly a tropical jungle pressure.

Indoors shes a solid 9 week line, outdoors she triggers fast in oregon, and is generally finishing up early october. In good years Id take her longer as obviously more time is better then less time imo.

She was also recently featured on the cover of the Grow Magazine.

31 Likes

Blackberry Moonshine Bx1 - another fun collaboration between myself and two tone genetics. This is the daughter of the above blackberry moonshine #12 which was seeded by (Blackberry moonshine 12 x mac)

This cut was orginally selected by MischifMike, and then shared with me. She has a lot of the great traits I love about the BMS 12, but with some fundamental improvements. She yields better, has more color, has more bag appeal, and has a more standard nug shapes. Terp wize she has the Skunky notes, with some blackberry sour Febreze almost notes. Very complex to describe and doesn’t really capture it. This cut is making waves in Oklahoma where its being heavily grown by carter creek cannabis. This cut Is in node labs tissue culture as well and is being licensed out for rec use. Shes exceptional smoke, with also being a growers dream. Very easy, not finicky at all, throws down with no fuss, doesn’t mold or mildew unless things have drastically gone sideways. In Hawaii she showed more resistance then her mother line.

20 Likes

And the Haole Moonshine #13 which is likely the one going into the 4th site…

Shes my newest selection of my most recent Haole Moonshine pheno hunt, and was chosen out of 50 seeds. She has skunky rancid oil fuel type terps, stellar density, narcotic heavy smoke, and stellar bag appeal. Easy to grow as well. This will be my first time using her with any males, so it will be very interesting to compare mother, daughter, granddaughter and a female selection from the father line (Haole moonshine is Blackberry moonshine bx1 x modified macberry moonshine male - since Im also going to have a female modified macberry moonshine) with the same male. If I go with these 4, they are all related, so it will be interesting to see in 1 tent, so many years of work, and how the lines compare in same environment and system.

23 Likes

Oh man that modified Mayberry sounds like my cup of tea! Nice work my friend, as always :raised_hands:t2:

4 Likes

cheers thanks bud! shes definitely a fav of mine, gotta love the raunchy terps!

3 Likes

Most definitely, :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Released That I was still posting in last years grow log…

Things are going well. The RDWC system is up and running, plants been plugged in for 2 weeks now. I gave the modifed macberry moonshine the first reversal spray today, which means Ill flip the RDWC plants in 2 more weeks. Giving them total of 4 weeks of veg plugged in the system.

5 Likes

Pretty crazy what 13 days in the system can do…

This photo is march 9th…photo a post above is feb 21st.

2 Likes

Ive been running the Crop Salt 2 part line, pretty easy sailing so far. I was running hydro bio for the first 2 weeks, but I noticed that it stained my roots as it has humic fulvic and molasses in it, so when I did my water change this week I went ahead and added Run Clean instead and will be running it sterile.

System takes about 60 gallons to fill, I’ve not had much ph drift, its been pretty consistent around 5.8-5.9 which is good because I’m manually PH this run not using an auto system, so far its been pretty easy. There’s a couch in the garage they are in, and I find myself spending a lot of time studying and watching them. The waterfall sounds are a nice ambiance.

So Far the plan is looking like I will add 4 more sites after this run, unless I develop problems I suppose that change my mind. The only issue Im seeing is the water temp is running a tad high at 75-80 degrees. I think though adding the 4 sites will increase the volume, and should help knock a few degrees off, and I will also eventually get the gowns that reflect heat and light to cover the buckets. I guess we will also have to see what summertime heat brings…

1 Like

Haole Moonshine #3

7 Likes

Blackberry Moonshine Bx1

7 Likes

Modified Macberry Moonshine

7 Likes

“blackberry Moonshine #12” Getting more and more convinced this is actually mac dragon #10. once she flowers Ill say for sure…

7 Likes

You might want to start looking at a water chiller.
My friend runs a bucket system similar to yours, and found his water temps, especially in the summer we’re getting a wee bit too high. Once he added the chiller, plants had a whole different attitude.
Keep your eyes open for a used one.
Hopefully you can find one, as you’ll be pleasantly surprised once you get water temps down some.
FB has a group called Regrow, which has used equipment, check FB marketplace, Craigslist, and the last place, Bidspotter.com, as I’ve seen quite a few large grow facilities and Hemp processing companies put everything up for sale.
Glad your settled into your new digs, trying a new method, and got plants kicking it in the new system.
Someday I’ll have a spot open up and I’ll be able to try one of your Moonshine crosses. Have followed you for a while, over on RIU, and now here. I personally like this forum better.
Can’t wait to see how this run flowers out.
Good luck and hope you have a great run with the hydro system.

2 Likes

Yea I’ve been looking around… I found a 1/4 HP one that I am hoping to grab this week.

2 Likes

Since you know what the Puna environment is like :sweat_smile: would like your opinion:

Have only one plant going, has a bit of septoria

Do I kill it before starting the next round?

Or just let it ride because there’s a big chance the next plants will get it anyway?

It’s something I have plenty of seeds of so am not worried just pissed :joy::man_shrugging:

Mahalo & Aloha

:evergreen_tree:

In Puna where I was at, it didn’t make a difference as septoria was everywhere, in the soil, and the water and the air, so plants that will get it…will. that was my experience at my spot anyway.

2 Likes

I’m about a mile from your old spot :call_me_hand: but didn’t see it for 9 months until taking in some clones. 🥲

Thanks

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes