DrGonzos No More Nonsense, just Growing

My information was stolen about three months ago from someone that worked for a online vendor. I was told by PayPal that it would take about 90 days to clear it up. In two weeks after the 20 days they give you and the vendor to work it out I had my money returned to my PayPal account/credit card.
PayPal also contacts you so he should have the communication from PayPal and his bank to prove his case. If he doesn’t have either there is something shady going on.

6 Likes

I already do that cuz. I have anyone that uses PP to send as a ‘gift’ to avoid the fees & holds… The donations he sent to me were sent as gift…

7 Likes

It would be great if everything got smoothed out, of course. I’d be the first to apologize were that to happen. But, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…
I wait on the results.

11 Likes

I am not really trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here…
But I have been hearing all kinds of stuff about paypal stealing any funds related to the canna biz.
I suspect it could be that.

The above post is the reason why I say this.

2 Likes

A consumer would open a “dispute” with PayPal. A consumer would initiate a chargeback through their card issuer. To the extent this is a chargeback, it was started at the card holder level. The bank did not independently take this action.

Source - retired bank regulator here. I am very aware of what a commercial bank can and cannot do (legally at least)

11 Likes

Thank you for the input @Tripl3fastaction
Are you familiar with these tactics?

1 Like

I’ve read that thread but really don’t have any knowledge about that. PayPal does not have a bank charter, they do all of their banking through Synchrony Financial I think. They are basically a payment processor who we have given authority to over our funds.

So they are really just a business like any other, free to make their own rules as they see fit I think. I know they don’t fall under the federal banking system regulations that I’m familiar with. Having said that, I do have a hard time believing they have just decided to reverse all transactions associated with hemp/cannabis. To the extent PP experiences high chargeback losses in those market segments, it makes sense they would decide not to participate in those markets, but given the nature of their business that would be almost impossible to do (a bank for instance would just say “no, we don’t want you as a customer if you sell x products”) but it’s kinda hard for PP to do that. So who knows what method they come up with to control that risk?

There are so many other ways to move money electronically (and legally) that don’t hold you hostage, not sure why folks still use them. (In all fairness, I will still buy things through PP if necessary. I stopped selling years ago when they became so dispute friendly)

Edit to also add - JPS said his payments were rec’d as “friends/family” payments, which further suggests PP had absolutely nothing to do with this as in that scenario there is no merchandise changing hands, at least that’s suppose to be the theory. Thats the reason PP offers no protection for those transactions. So there is nothing to dispute or for PP to get a hard on about because it’s cannabis related. So why would they initiate a reversal?

11 Likes

Wow. Looks like I’m late to the party! Now I’m understanding this morning. If this dude is truly a thief there is zero tolerance for that shit! I’m thankful that I haven’t had dealings with him. I truly appreciate all the generosity that I see and feel from all the givers here on OG.:green_heart:

5 Likes

C’mon man, if it quacks like a duck and all that… let’s not stick our heads in the proverbial sand.

4 Likes

I get it brother, I really do…
My feeling are, if your absolutely sure then fine do what you feel you need to.
But if there is a chance it could be something else then you should put off the hangin’!
I am all for hanging the purposeful thief.
By purposeful I mean one who sets out to do it knowingly on purpose.

While I do agree here 100%…
Once you hang a person you can not take it back.
I just suggest we let him sit in jail until we have all of the evidence.
Our fearless leader is in contact with him, at least he is still responding.

I agree, nor turn a blind eye to what has been done in the past.
I just prefer to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until you find the truth.

If I just stole your shit, I sure would not be talking to you about it.
That part has me puzzled, maybe he thinks he is that good of a con-man… :joy:

@Tripl3fastaction thank you very much for sharing the knowledge! :star_struck:

3 Likes

I agree. Everyone should have a chance to defend themselves. I’m not stringing a rope just yet. But I got one in my saddle bag. Time will tell.

1 Like

While I agree with you somewhat @shag…this isn’t his first time pulling “shenanigans” for seeds. I like to hope there’s good in everyone and that this was a big mistake and we all owe him an apology. But he does have a previous history.

5 Likes

I agree, and those that do, need to be monitored, it just makes sense.
This just has a weird feel to it, seems like there is more to the story, but maybe not.

I know, I remain sceptical myself, but why go through all that trouble to suck ass and get your reputation back just to toss it all away for a few hundred bucks in seeds.

I guess it could all be just a simple scam, but the scam seems very small minded and a huge waste of time.

3 Likes

I agree…was pretty surprised when JP brought it up yesterday. I thought the same thing…man, he put a lot of work into regaining peoples trust just to throw it all away again.

3 Likes

Don’t exclude the possibility of a mental issue. The actions of someone who is not right in the head are not logical and often won’t make sense.

There is probably nuance in this situation and it isn’t completely black and white. Please don’t misconstrue that as defense of anyone, just the way of the world that often makes things difficult. For me, the best course of action was to avoid any interaction when his behavior came into question.

16 Likes

…then i say it’s time to make fucking Cassoulet.

4 Likes

This could definitely be a factor. Good point.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s my age and upbringing but I’m not getting the benefit to keeping him around. Seems he is nice enough a guy to converse with… but he acts like a child testing mom as to how far he can go.

This is his second full circle of people not getting their part of a trade. It’s my belief he’s only greasing the loudest squeeks…

If he can afford to make purchases in an auction he certainly has the finds to catch up on those who are still waiting. But he chooses not to…

Now, this second time around it goes further to the point of costing a few… at least a few hundred in one case. Was it intentional, who knows…

He could have a legit reason for a dispute and a bank took it too far and went back too far. Or… he could have been in desperate need of money? Again, only the Dr knows. If I’m johnny or Joe I really don’t care… I just want my damn money back and to be rid of a nuisance.

All the speculation in the world is not going to repair his reputation, let’s face it… most aren’t going to deal with him.

However, this is Joe’s place… he sets the rules and takes out the trash. To ding his $$ account is just foolish…

8 Likes

He reneges on the payment at auction too.

So he can “afford” anything since he has no plans on actually paying for any of it.

6 Likes

Right, that’s where Joe got dinged.

Could this have been a grand exit… just I’ll timed?

We can speculate this to death in either direction. But it’s unfortunate Johnny and Joe are out more than a few silly beans. It’s personal now…

4 Likes