Driver on board COBS

Lol… I had bought a few of those DOBs from a new supplier with a different design for $2 to play with. They are pretty neat but only 80 lumens per watt. I bought it because it claims to Target the 450-455 nm lspectrum range which I thought was pretty neat. That seems pretty targeted. It pulls a true 50 w from the wall which was a surprise from past dabblings with the ultra cheapo “grow” cobs from China. The supplier claims the diodes are bridgelux. Apparently, they started as a phosphors company and have some proprietary phosphor formulas…( May be crap). They do have some other products but have been trying to perfect “driverless” as their major product offering. They run hot as Hades tho. The chips we’re not sloppily made in any way. Thick aluminum mount plate. Clean seals around the cob. I won’t buy more but when I build out my cab I may put some of em I got in for wintertime side lighting. Won’t have to worry about the girls getting cold at all.

Anybody else played with any of em?

2 Likes

If anybody is interested I have one I would be happy to dissect if you want to see the components.

I’ve played with a few of them (different version) and I came to the conclusion that they sucked too. Get real warm and just don’t have the intensity.

I wanna see what 90 v ac will do if I get a AC regulated power supply. It says it will take 90v minimum so I think the other 20-30v is what makes all the heat. At half the lumens per watt of other quality cobs around 50w draw I think this might be a 25-30w chip being overdriven by the driver circuit. It only draws 350 ma so the voltage controls on board are just spewing out wasted energy as heat. Yes they do seem to suck. But for a dollar a piece I don’t feel ripped off. May use the 3500k’s as a shop light.

1 Like