Drying calamity

So i have a drying room, 5x5 , exhaust fan, air circulation fans, dehumidifier ,humidifier etc . This morning the humidity was a little low, 50%. I like 55-60% . Set my humidifier to 55 and left for work. Figured it’d run for a few and that’d be it. Lately the humidity has been right at 55-60 without any help from dehumidifier or humidifier. Well the humidifier malfunctioned and just ran all day full blast apparently. I opened the door this evening and everything is wet as hell. I have probably around a pound or so hanging now thats been hanging for about 4-5 days. It feels like it just got out of the bathtub. So i’ve got extra fans going now and the dehumidifier going. What am i looking at here. Total loss or will they just need to restart the drying process? Obviously theres a huge risk for mold so i’ll keep an eye on that. I’m sure I’m probably the only goon to ever fuck up like this but does anyone have any advice, experience or knowledge of what to do in a situation like this? Thanks for any help and i won’t take it personally if your laughing at me cause i kinda am now.

10 Likes

Sorry to hear. Yeah, i would probably drop the RH and keep the air moving. Not sure about putting the fans on the plants for an hour or two to help speed it along. It is what it is. Not ideal, but it might be ok. Hoping for the best for you.

6 Likes

Just had a thought. You said they were wet like they just came out of the tub. If there is excess water on them, take the branches down and use centripetal force to get the bulk of the water off.

If you give them a little whip action you can get moist of the water off them

7 Likes

I once had a humidifier go nuts on me — I think I might invest in an inkbird if for nothing else as a killswitch for the humidifier if it ever hits x humidity. I’m sure the things have other usefulness in growing.

Sorry about the calamity but here’s to hoping it works out for you!

5 Likes

Ah man, that’s a tough break! Still, I have my fair share of disastrous experiences as well. Fans and dehumidifier are enough; just keep an eye on molds. They could tell you that you might have to begin drying over from somewhere, but it ought to be okay.

4 Likes

I did shake em out to get as much surface moisture off as possible.
So if the humidifier had a built in humidistat (? If that’s what its called) does the inkbird act as a backup mechanism to prevent shit like this?

6 Likes

I honestly don’t think anything serious happened if there wasn’t already some mold around. If they have been hanging for 4/5 days it is not that little, it would have been worse if they had been hanging for 2/3 days. Double check that there is no obvious mold and remove it immediately and the fan could be counterproductive and spread the mold spores. Anyway I understand that bad feeling when touching those totally wet buds, but try to not squeeze or the humidity will remain locked inside . Maybe it might darken a little, but if you didn’t already have mold you shouldn’t worry.

4 Likes

I also love humidity at 55/60 and with many plants I sometimes struggle, but in this case I advise you to go a little below (50/55) for a day just to stop any type of mold or oxidation degenerative process

4 Likes

The Inkbird is a really accurate humidity controller that basically you’d have your humidifier plugged into. You’d set it so that if the humidity hit 70RH it kills the power to the humidifier and turns on a dehumidifier – or something along those lines. Just thinking out loud here. People have probably used them to control drying – although you would need devices that turn on when power hits them and off when cut off (the later being easier, lol).

5 Likes

Did you ever bud wash them?

Another big reason I bud wash is to kill off and remove as many pathogens as possible in hopes that there’s less fuckery in the drying and curing process.

Bucket 1: 1 Gal 3% H202 + 3 Gal H20
Bucket 2: 1 cup Baking soda + 1 cup Lemon juice + 4 gallons H20
Bucket 3: 4 gal H20
Bucket 4: 4 Gal H20

Everything sits at room temperature so I’m only removing dirt, debris, insects, and pathogen fuckery. Too hot trichs melt and too cold they’ll break off.

13 Likes

Yes, it’s absolutely a great trick and even though it seems strange to “wash” it, it’s actually the best way to leave any pathogens out of the drying room. It’s a process that I personally do at the time of harvesting. After 4/5 days I never tried it

4 Likes

I doubt you did any real harm. Keep doing what you are doing, watch for mold, you should be fine in the end. Not a calamity in my opinion, just a bump in the road.

5 Likes

Another thought, I might put them through a salad spinner or even in the washing machine on the spin cycle. The spinning should not beat them up too bad and will remove a bunch of the excess moisture. Never tried it but in theory, it could help.

1 Like

Yeah i washed some of it. About half of it is outdoor ,and i always wash my outdoor. I just hope that it drying some, not much but a little, and then getting saturated didn’t do something weird

2 Likes

Did something similar. 4 plants hanging in a 4x7 bathroom. Ac infinity humidifier set incorrectly and left just for a few hours tho. Thick fog but bud wasn’t wet as yours. Herb dryed and cured fine with terps intact. I stayed the course at 60/60 for another week.

2 Likes

It should be fine, as long as you don’t see mold.

I’ve had similar happen before. I didn’t do anything special or try to over-correct. I just got the humidity down to 60% and let them continue drying. It added to the dry time but the smoke came out great.

2 Likes

When I was sprouting lots of sunflower sprouts, I bought one of these.

Well mine does not have a cool brake.
But this SOB will dry a few pounds of sunflower sprouts, with no breaking of the wee sprouts at all, in 20-30 seconds of spinning them.
Would probably dry hash really well, in a silk screen pouch.
I do not make hash anymore, it just does not interest me much.

4 Likes

Same here. I figured if it meant the difference between loosing and entire crop or not than giving it a shot if you have the materials around couldn’t hurt as an experiment at least.

I often over-dry my outdoors so there’s no “OH FUCK” in the cure. Then I can bag it in a grove and know it’s very unlikely the lb bag overfilled will mold through.

When I process it, I take a portion out and put it into an air tight jar and have several sizes of terracotta pucks that I can use to rehydrate the flower slowly.

I boil them to both kill any pathogens and saturate the pucks with water. After I pat them dry with paper towel and toss em into the jar with a hygrometer inside.

It doesn’t take long for things to lift back up to 63% RH. This is how I do my pressings; click locks with pucks in and out until it’s stable RH for good rosin production.

4 Likes

@webeblzr you just reminded me that I want to do this one day if the parts fall into my lap. :grin:

7 Likes

That could be a trimmer/dryer with the proper engineering

1 Like