How do you remove plant matter from harvested seeds?

I cut a piece of insect screen and put it over the end of a vaccum and ran it over the seeds, but it didn’t do much…

How do I remove all the green matter from these seeds?

How do you do it?

13 Likes

I’m trying this also:

I worry that trying to rub the seeds into metal like that might damage them.

5 Likes

Tray and a playing card. Just scoop the seeds and drop on top, have the tray on an angle. Seeds roll down, plant material stays on top. Repeat until clean.

13 Likes

If they are fully dried…i wouldn’t worry about the damaging…i usually “Debulk” with a cookie sheet and gravity…and than throw them in a metal strainer like that and agitate until all the plant material is gone

2 Likes

16 Likes

I’ve seen that machine, but my operation is pretty small :slight_smile:

I definitely understand why someone would have one of those though…

4 Likes

Build a baby one. 1 gals or quart jars under

2 Likes

I am with you, they look cool though. I don’t have the space for the large contraption so I just do it by hand. Still got some separating to do on these.

15 Likes

One thing I’ve done is just let everything dry out really good, get everything broken up and then drop it through the wind of a fan into a bucket.

Just start with the fan on low and not too close so you don’t blow it all away. Also I do it outside because it’s messy. Do it on a tarp or blanket and if you accidentally screw up you can recover everything and try again.

12 Likes

I do a combo of the tray, the colander with a little breeze and rubber lab tweezers for the fine detail work.

But I just do the best I can and don’t sweat it too much.

4 Likes

@mumenRyder After removing the bulk of the green matter as you did in the above picture I use a cake pan, and just blow gently into the pile of seeds with my mouth, the seeds are heavy enough they stay down in the lip of the pan and the chaff soars out of the mix , gently agitate the pan at a slight angle helps too

Same sort of procedure used to seperate chaff from a handful of wheat fresh from the field

4 Likes

I rub a balloon in my hair and pass it over the seed tray :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Lol, are you for real? Does this work?

2 Likes

Meh, I’m kinda trolling :grin: never done this myself but noticed the scraps would stick to a tupperware lid so balloon could work.

I usually stand in a corner and blow in the bowl while shaking it then vacuum the floor, messy but efficient hah

5 Likes

Crush up your seeded flower and slap it onto a Fancy kind of paper plates you know the kind that dont let your food seep through? lol …blow the chaff right out. Shift the seeds left and right and repeat the blowing process haha

It ain’t pretty but it does the job.

5 Likes

Well I am pretty gullible ya know. :crazy_face:

But yeah, the information on this topic will become very useful to me in a couple ed months. :+1:

2 Likes

That looks likes the pounds I used to buy during the height of the mexi brick days.

4 Likes
3 Likes

One idea I’ve had is to use a popcorn popper but obviously mod it to disable the heating element. I don’t know of anybody that’s tried this but I think it would probably work.

3 Likes

Pretty cool invention :sunglasses:

So it seems like the seeds don’t get all the way sucked up by the vacuum because there isn’t enough force to pull them up the water bottle and into the hose?

1 Like