EarthBox vs. RainScience Bag

If you have it already? Use cotton balls or sheets.

3 Likes

A question has been rattling around in my head…
How do the volumes of the containers compare?

Cheers
G

4 Likes

For the 2 boxes, the original holds 7 gallons. The junior holds 3.5. Because you can mound it. Add about another half gallon.

The Rainscience bag I was using in this is a 7 gallon bag.

Maybe if I had moved the bag plant to a 3 gallon first, then a 7 gallon, it may have been better. People do not always have that time.

4 Likes

Cleaned up the Jack in a box tonight. She is day 67. She is still drinking her reservoir dry in a day. Going to just let her go.

She has stacked well and has very dense buds.

17 Likes

Hell ya man those tops are looking juicy. :+1:

3 Likes

Good job. nice to see the earth box doing so well. I may need to take the plants out of mine and plant the good stuff

2 Likes

These have been interesting me. Set up just like the Earthbox Jr. but slightly different dimensions. https://www.lowes.com/pd/12-13-in-W-x-20-13-in-L-x-8-in-H-Gray-Plastic-Raised-Garden-Bed/5001726615?cm_mmc=shp--c--prd--lwn--ggl--LIA_LWN_123_Live-Goods--5001726615--local--0-_-0&gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNPTyTjDwq5QugS8FvnKZ1ZhLMU1ekUDpAizO8tv50maU_ZhRxn3VYRoCqnUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am trying to figure out how I want to spend my money heh.

3 Likes

If you are going to go with the City Pickers from Lowe’s, I’d suggest going with the larger boxes. I am using them now, and I’m finding the the smaller ones don’t seem to have enough volume, if you’re going to do water only organic mix. You can take a look at my grow log and see how much better the bigger boxes are doing than the smaller and judge for yourself. I’m going to re-run some of the same cuts from the smaller boxes in the bigger boxes, so hopefully the will difference will be more obvious.

Everything looking good in Old-Ron’s garden though, looks like the EB wins this round!

3 Likes

Aah very cool. Some nice stuff you got going on there.

2 Likes

Moved the Jack I had in the EB Junior to dark for the next 24 hours before being chooped.

She is 39 inches tall and was 32 inches in diameter. The buds are very sticky. She has more of a sweet smell than more of a gas smell.

10 Likes

Decided to move the Earthbox Original with the Hawaiian Haze to the flower tent.

She is 32 inches tall and 36 inches in diameter.

12 Likes

That’s a pretty big plant 🪴 :heart_eyes:
Your earthbox does it have many small holes in the bottom, the roots grow into the air gap above the water rez ?

2 Likes

Yes. It has a screen that goes over the reservoir. The roots are down there feeding, while the roots up top are feeding also.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see those roots after harvest!

Do you think the roots clustered in those two deep wells or more evenly spread out over that perforated plate?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I think they are spread out across the box, both on the top and the bottom.

I have had an EB Junior sitting filled for a few weeks with the cover on. I took the cover back today to put a Monster Banner in there. Soil was still very wet. Didn’t even need to water the soil or box after planting.

5 Likes

That ‘shower-cap’ thingie…

Is it breathable or non-breathable? What is it’s purpose? …control evaporation or something else?
I’ve seen a couple off-brand kits without it…

I’ve been wrestling around with that in my head., :crazy_face:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

The “plastic mulch” cover is usually used to help keep even moisture along with cut off light so that if you have worms in there, they will want to come up to the top and eat top dressing and bring it down into the soil in a more available and bio charged form. Also if you use things like bokashi/kashi blend, they will form helpful fungus that aid in breaking down top dressing and adding probiotics into the soil. If done right, you can use it as a probiotic stomach for the plant in a way. Just goes along with the living soil organic style by leveraging natural processes a bit. Pretty cool how they can work.

8 Likes

@Gpaw @bassman5420 was correct about the plastic mulch purpose. It also protects the roots that eat on the top. Here is the top of the box. You can see all the roots there. It also allows you to mound your soil, or top dress.

For less than 4 gallons of soil and only 2 weeks in the box before flip, she had a thick stalk.

12 Likes

They are trying to make this as easy as possible it seems.

6 Likes

Early lower tester bud of the Jack from the Earthbox

5 Likes