Environment here changed

Been through a lot of bad things so far in life.

That was by far the worst.

6 Likes

I can’t even imagine.

1 Like

Please don’t try this at home,

Viewer discretion advised.

1 Like

I’m a little late getting here, took a couple days to read through it all. I’m happy to see some of the changes that have come about and to see all the open discussions about what’s happening here.

I’ve been around for awhile now and was a member of OG1.0. I have to agree with those like @Meesh that the monetization needs to be halted in the open. I expect things like group buys to happen in private, but it should stay there. Allowing this to continue in the public eye gives the appearance that the site leadership condones and possibly endorses this behavior. Not to mention the threat of scams and all the drama and possible legal ramifications that come with that.

8 Likes

Ultimately I think my worry is that after Hugh glass by leaving money buys allowable we have now got much less trust to spread around and are running into troubles because of it. To me the activity on the free seeds thread has looked like shilling and I am worried that it is another future scam being played on the membership here, of course it could also be nothing of the sort. If the money buys were removed it would not really matter, if someone wanted all the likes they can have them without the opportunity for anything nefarious . I would like to apologise if i have offended anyone, that is not my intention just to point out the shilling can give people a bad impression of your future intentions even if your intentions are just to chat and hang

6 Likes

She could’ve banged your best friend while you were in jail cause you lost your shit after your little brother died of a heroin overdose and then you had to pick up all those pieces and fix all those relationships and bridges you burned while in your “fuck it, I don’t care about life” phase, so you didn’t lose everything you’d ever worked for and cared about.

Still haunts me to this day, I caused literally all of it by being the best at saying “fuck it” and living that life style.

Anyways, I STILL want to advocate for a polling section on the site.

Bare minimum to have democratic unanimity among the community on which direction we want to take serious topics. That’s all this entire thread is, is one giant long winded poll getting out each of our individual opinions on how our community is handled.

A section for polling would indefinitely give the higher ups insight into how the community feels on any specific issues

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something here? I kinda/sorta take umbrage at the mixing of those two words
‘hippy’ and ‘grifter’
 I was considered a ‘hippie’, but never considered a ‘grifter’. Is that a word with a newer meaning than what it meant in the '60s and '70s? I ask this just to clear thing up for me, thanks

5 Likes

I agree, to me a grifter would mean someone with less than honorable intentions with no part in the community, while a hippie is a lot simpler, lives in harmony, loves music and contributes to a community in a positive way. I’m a few years behind ya @JohnnyPotseed but they still called us crunchy hippies at recent Phish shows (Kind of a sign of reverence from a 21 year old when they hear you went to festivals before they were born). I would consider a grfter equivolent to be the inner city “non-fans” who didn’t even know the band, but would be all over the lots after a show with automotive grade nitrous because they could make bank on a tank. Camden NJ was hugely popular with that crowd given the proximity of Philly

Definitely two different types of people IMHO

Shit, I still consider myself a hippie. :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s one of the reasons why I posted it, new people voting on, hope we are still a majority! labrat

1 Like

grift·er/ˈɥriftər/
noun
NFORMAL‱NORTH AMERICAN

1. a person who engages in petty or small-scale swindling.
    “I saw him as a grifter who preys upon people”

https://www.merriam-webster.com â€ș dictionary â€ș hippie
](Hippie | Definition of Hippie by Merriam-Webster)
Hippie definition is - a usually young person who rejects the mores of established society (as by dressing unconventionally or favoring communal living) and .

edit
 also spelled ‘hippy’

2 Likes

Can’t speak for them but Hippie has definitely changed meaning. Hippies these days aren’t real deal hippies, they’re playing the role and using it as a justification for being opinionated, stoned, and stinky. Obviously not across the board but the majority.

2 Likes

I AM NOT OPINIONATED!!! I resemble that remark.

5 Likes

Lols gotta laugh at an entire thread about “its not the same here anymore” and the majority of posters have been here like 3 years or less. Ok maybe not quite but soo many people posting acting like long term members and they’ve been on here for a few months or maybe years
 Out of the last 10 posters on this thread not one person has been on longer than a few years. Got people who joined this year going on about it?? weird

6 Likes

And your point(less) being? And just an ‘fyI’ fella
I’m one of those ‘last 10 posters’ here and I was around OG from '99 until it closed

Say what? I can’t hear ya

3 Likes

But joined again a year ago
I’m just curious how soooo much has changed that it requires an entire thread of noobs complaining?

2 Likes

I for one am not complaining about anything on here. I found OG was back up n running just early last year. I came back for one reason only to see if Oldtimer1 was still around so I could thank him for answering my few questions about his Bonsai Tute

edit
 @NoobyMacDooby , I stuck around for a couple of reasons, one was plain old nostalgia, and the other was it seemed to be a decent place with decent folks
 I’ve given a couple thousand seeds away and also traded a few, but I see that as no problem for me, and no skin off anyone else’s nose if I did

edit
 lol sorry but this is nagging at me this morning
 @NoobyMacDooby , if you feel up to it, go to my very first postings here and you’ll see
 nothing but love cuz!

3 Likes

Those are hippies? here we call them dirty kids, or the voluntarily homeless.
I worked with a guy who had a trust fund, house bought for him.
Opens it up as a place for these dirty kids to crash

Few months later, he is stuck in (I don’t remember where), at the hopsiptal. OD’d and the rest of his “crew” left him there and took off in HIS converted school bus

last I heard he is putting hit shit back together after realizing his “friends” were just using him up.

3 Likes

Well I have to say that the giving out of hundreds of seeds absolutely free being compared to some kind of scam or setup is somewhat offensive. As is comparing a generous act to shilling. When someone does something out of kindness and generosity and than gets compared to some kind of scam artist it is bound to offend to some degree. I find it unfortunate that some try to find some kind of nefarious motive behind even the nicest geatures.

10 Likes

Let it be know Doug, That I have had fun winning and enjoyed receiving free seeds from you. And I don’t think you’re shilling. And I would also be offended in your shoes. just keep doing you man! Lots of us enjoy the love you spread around here.

4 Likes

Trustafarians are exactly what comes to mind when I think of hippies. Rich kids who can afford to sit around stinking while telling you their “revolutionary” concepts and how money is evil with their daddy’s gold card in their back pocket. Bonus points if they tell you how much they hate everything the card represents while using it!

Are you sure you aren’t thinking of “crust punks”?