eS' Super Small Tent Perpetual Autobonsai MinMaxing

Hello there OG!

This thread is meant as an ongoing log of my grow, where I try to make the most out of a 60x90x96cm (23x35x38") tent, with not one, but two layers, and the option to grow up to 18 (smaller) plants.

The grow itself is meant for my own medical and personal purposes, after years of paying up to XXX$ a month for weed with inconsistent quality, no testing for heavy metals and “drying and curing” cycles of 5 days, I’m done, and it was time to grow my own. I have grown in the past, all kinds of plants in fact, but back then I did not have any money (go figure when spending that much on weed LOL), so everything had to be very DIY, chaotic and a bit messy, and to be fair I learned alot. This time, I had a bit of money to spare, to make everything nice, and have a head start from the get-go.

To get the absolute most out of this space, I’ve had to resort to less traditional and unrecommended methods in a few areas, but hopefully that makes it helpful or interesting!

The gear I’m using is as follows:
Tent: Secret Jardin DP90
Light lower layer: Spider Farmer SF1000D, 2x Secret Jardin Cosmorrow 2x20W bloom spectrum + 2x Added bonus 1x20W UV-White strips for a total of 220W
Light upper layer: 2x Secret Jardin Cosmorrow 2x20W grow spectrum = 80W
Total light watts: 300W

The containers I’m using are “IKEA NOJIG Organiser”, both for seedling stage (the smallest ones), and for their final containers which are 20x25x10cm=±5L (yes, I replant autos), these are not only cheap, but also very space efficient with their shape, and as they are a bit lower than “normal” plant containers, the plants have a bit more vertical space to grow into.

As for growing media and techniques, I’ve tried the whole organic living soil thing, but as I like to be really involved with my plants, this method was too slow for me. Now I switched back to coco coir for most plants, and I have 1 DWC plant, which is my bonsai project. Still getting my coco mixes dialled in, and I have recently been adding in ±30% perlite, but I’m also quite interested in doing some tests with a bit of hydroton and or vermicompost mixed in, in the future. I have found that actual coco coir fibers give much faster growing than with a lot of coco peat mixed in, but I haven’t yet found a source of pure coco coir fibers… If anyone knows a source (in EU please :)), let me know!

Some of the cultivars I’m growing, ready for growing (seeds), or have grown:

• Dutch Passion Euforia Auto (complete)
  • Dutch Passion Orange Bud Auto (complete)
  • Dutch Passion Skywalker Haze Auto (50%)
  • Dutch Passion Oh My Gusher Auto (50%)
  • Dutch Passion Banana Blaze Auto (50%)
  • SSSC Creeper Auto (30%)
  • Amsterdam Genetics White Choco Auto (5%)
  • Amsterdam Genetics Blue Amnesia Auto
  • Amsterdam Genetics AK-020 Auto
  • Amsterdam Genetics Milkshake Kush Auto

Breeding stock:

• Seed Stockers AK420 Auto
  • GHS Franco’s Lemon Cheese
  • GHS Exodus Cheese
  • I have some female Auto pollen on the way from a very kind OG benefactor, hope it makes it!

As for nutes, I run the full Canna Aqua line (also for the plants on coco), with all boosters and additives, using the avarage of the recommended dosage, leaning on the conservative side. Before I feed the water to my plants, I disconnect the air pump from my DWC plant, and with a different bubble stone, on full blast, I aerate the wayer to get it to the “super-oxygenated” state. Because these nutes are pH buffered, I don’t measure anything other than the dosage, no pH and EC meter required so far!

Another small trick I use, when germinating or transplanting, I sprinkle a small amount of IBA-powder (cloning powder) in both the seed hole and the transplanting hole, this seems to be beneficial for establishing root growth after germination and transplanting (especially when root bound), and water in with Rhizotonic.

I don’t have solid proof of my own that this makes a different other than my own observations, but there seems to be some research out there to back me up :).

‘There are many benefits and little to no downsides (other than setup time) to aerating your water prior to watering your plants. The pumped air will increase DO levels in your water which benefits your plants’ roots, and it can also decrease chlorine levels through increased surface agitation.’ Should I Aerate My Water?

‘IBA hormone is one of the hormones included in auxin group, besides being used to stimulate rooting, it also has other benefits such as increasing germination, stimulating the growth of leaf and extending the shoots (Kusumo, 1984).’

To-do list:

• Enjoy the hobby
  • Buy and prepare STS
  • Start using Mycorrhizae for germination and transplanting
  • Add more airflow fans
  • Start the AK420 Auto breeding program with 8 plants (started!), harvest female pollen from the best one
  • Harvest Euforia Auto sativa pheno (approaching 4 months)
  • Do some testing on wicking systems with the NOJIG containers
  • Small tent mods like: cut out reinforcements of lower corner brackets to optimize floor space, add some PVC tubing to make the tent bulbous, reinforce rigidity of the 2nd layer in the tent
  • Some botany experiments on grafting and other techniques
  • Complete the Skywalker Haze DWC log
19 Likes

Reserved for Hall of Fame!

2 Likes

Skywalker Haze Auto DWC log, planted around 7 March:

First stretching and bending

As of today :slight_smile:

May 6th:

May 15th:

16 Likes

Nice use of pc fans !!! Im using one my self blowing on the canopy of my plants :slight_smile:

I wired it ( very ghetto ) to a slightly stronger power brick than its rated for and boi does it move some air !

2 Likes

Thank you. They are really cost effective, and when you lower the speed a bit, they are super duper quiet!

I got my 4 fans hooked up to an old school fan controller for PC’s, it’s essentially just 4 potentiometers, but it works fantastic, I can control all fans individually.

All hooked up to a cheapo 12V 2A PSU :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Mine is ALOT less nice, bahaha. Very nice setup, you’ve got it all dialed in <3

2 Likes

Very cool setup and I love your use of the space you have!
What kind of yields are you getting off of these plants in there?

2 Likes

Thank you! So I’ve only completed grows in this tent with organic soil in ±20L fabric pots, the dry yield for the two I have harvested so far was about 20gram dry per plant, I’ve been smoking it the last 2 weeks!

One other plant on soil is still going strong, waiting for it to finish flowering, but this one will give me a nice yield for sure:

My “reference” plant for my growing technique in the smaller NOJIG containers is this one:

This one gets no LST, topping or fimming, I only do some defoliating for the lower growth, I’ll have to see what the yield is for this one.

11 Likes

Oo not bad! Very cool friend :sunglasses:, I’ll definitely be hanging to see how everything continues to evolve and work for you!

2 Likes

Cheers mate, happy to have you onboard!

eS :tropical_drink:

2 Likes

It’s amazing weather, so I moved some of the bigger plants outside for now, which allows me to shut off a few of the lights and manage the heat a bit better!

Need to get a better ladder to fully get up on the roof :sweat_smile:

Cheers,

3 Likes

Update time.

Harvested the DP Euforia Auto Sativa pheno, amazing plant, amazing bud quality!

Pics are dry and wet.

I have kept some of the lower buds on the plant to give them a few more days, looks kinda sad now :frowning:

AK420 “phenohunt” had a great start, all 8 germinated, #3 seems to be a runt.

All other plants:

Have a great day everyone!

2 Likes

Good day ya’ll, just planted some new seeds to try this time, Amsterdam Genetics Milkshake Kush auto and Blue Amnesia auto.

Already have one of their White Choko auto close to 2 weeks, and it’s doing great, ready for repotting!

I also wanted to share my method of “DIY seedcoating”, where I coat the seed with IBA rooting powder. It’s stupidly simple, and very effective.

Quickly dip the seed in something sugary, anything will do really, as long as its sticky when it dries, drop the seed in the IBA powder, roll it around a bunch, wait a few mins and done!

Coated seeds ready for germination!

Cheers,

3 Likes

Update on the AK420 auto selection for reversal, all 8 germinated, with 1 runt that is lagging behind and 1 super narrow leaf plant, the other 6 are perfectly uniform.

Here’s some pics:

Plants #1, #2, #4, #5, #6 and #8 perfectly uniform.

The runt, ill keep it alive for now, maybe its special :smiley:

Compared to its sisters, this one has incredibly narrow first true leaf, hoping for a nice sativa pheno!

Have a good day all and cheers,

2 Likes

Where do you get those little squares thats so dope :smiley: Makes me want to do a Square cup challenge XD

1 Like

They are IKEA Nojig containers, I use both the smallest ones (10x10x5cm) for seedlings, and transplant them to the biggest ones which are around 4L. They are amazing for their space efficiency! Dirt cheap too at €0.19.

Here’s a link:

2 Likes

An update on the AK420 selection.

The six happy plants, numbers #1, #2, #4, #5, #6 and #8 all still healthy and going strong.

#3 seems to be a runt, #7 seems to have some abnormal leaf variation, might be damage from the seed opening, and it might grow out of it. Both of them are lagging behind, but I’ll keep them as I am not breeding for yield but to try and find something unique and cool, maybe it’s a gem, who knows :smiley:

Next week will be time for repotting into the final containers.

In the meanwhile, here is some outdoor autoflower glory:

3 and a half month old Euforia autoflower still chugging along, what a beast :smiley:

Cheers,

3 Likes

All plants chugging along nicely, time to plant some new ones, update on those in the next post!

Here is a fun experiment I have been able to start because of @joheimgrohen 's kindness, I’ve planted 6 of his Auto Froyo S1 seeds with my usual method, 2 in pure coco (Canna Coco Professional buffered, unfertilized), 2 in 66% coco 33% wormcompost (Franky’s Flora) and the last two in 25% coco and 75% wormcompost.

A picture of the setup:

The reason for this experiment is to see if there is a benefit in terms of seedling stage development with some microbial life added to the medium instead of just coco + fertilizers, my theory is that the plants in the 66%coco-33%wormcompost mix will be the most healthy and thus vigorous. Let’s see :innocent:

I also want to do some similar tests with mycorrizae and bacteria, but I first need to find the baseline with this test, which will require space and time, as is tradition.

Cheers,

3 Likes

And the race is ON!

RISE! RISE my little grandsprouts! And dominate!

2 Likes

The plants thank you for your blessings, may they dominate the tent :sunglasses:.

I am having some issues with my outdoor plants, the coco mix keeps blowing out of the container (they are on a 4 story high flat roof), and while I was harvesting my first round of Banana Blaze (the smell of ripe bananas is… well… bananas :sweat_smile:), I noticed a ton of coco on the buds and the sugar leaves, not ideal …

I’ve now added a small layer of hydroton on top, hopefully it works, if you have any other tips to keep the medium from blowing on my pristine buds, please share them :smiley:

Thank you and cheers,
eS🍹