Examples of what specific deficiencies look like preHarvest

20 Likes

Bookmarked. Good resource and post, friend. Thanks.
Stay up
Coffin_Dodger
:ghost: :raccoon:

2 Likes

Awesome! Saved

2 Likes

No problem yall. I found this randomly looking for copper deficiency ironically not listed here but im sure it was a ph issue on my part.
I used to have the cal mag def which i thought was heat stress from flowering in 80f.
I do semi organic and dont starve them (just top off a scoop at week 6) so i havent seen anything that bad in my last harvests just yellow or purping.
Grow journal in my profile so well find out

1 Like

So I saw this article today when cruising the literature and thought this would be a nice addition for new growers. There are pictures for single nutrient deficiencies in plants and this experiment was conducted by a good group with good methods. Ive done this same thing with other plants in plant physiology and plant nutrition classes/labs.

The article is open access so free to read. Here is a screenshot of the article if the link doesn’t work. Just go to Google scholar and search the name and it should bring it up.

If anyone thinks this is more appropriate in a different category please feel free to move it. But I’d like to make sure all the new OGers got some good info at their disposal!!!

@moderators I wonder if there is value in pinning this to the top of the forum? The resources available here at OG are tremendous, but this could be useful!!

Edit to add: not sure why I threw the bud shot in…but please enjoy!! Its Notorious THC from humboldt seed

11 Likes

Good catch!

We all have been referencing the same coloured drawings for years now… It’s good to see the results of an academic study.

I’ve down loaded the PDF but what I really want are the photos (in high res), any ideas on how to get that?

(Edit)
Wow, has Hexo stock fallen in price… now sub dollar, I recall them hitting $500 a few years ago.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I just plowed through the intro and Nitrogen def sections and was really impressed with the methodology and the well-written text. The online version has the pictures and they appear to be high rez/zoomable which is really useful.

@Gpaw is right, thanks for posting this @ThePotanist :+1: :+1:

5 Likes

This study was a hydroponic run, using Dutch ? somebody’s nutrients.
Would this be the same for us, Organic fertilizers programs, with different mediums?
Killer good article IMHO.

2 Likes

Yeah! The nice thing about nutrient deficiencies is they look the same regardless of grow media. The reason for the hydroponics is because it lets you easily mix a balanced and controlled nutrient solution. It will also generally cause a quicker and more extreme reaction because soil material can easily contain enough micronutrients or other nutrients to make up for some deficiencies.

So the short answer after a long explanation is that hydro allows for more precise control over nutrient concentrations and elicits quicker responses but symptoms are the same. (That wasn’t really a short answer either, on me)

1 Like