Exploring Bubble Hash Yields: Flower vs. Trim

I’ve been diving into the world of bubble hash lately, and I need some clarification on a puzzling matter. Maybe I’m missing something, but there seems to be a discrepancy in the information out there. Numerous sources claim that making bubble hash from flower doesn’t yield as well as using trim. Now, here’s the kicker - one explanation I stumbled upon suggests that the trichomes in full buds get trapped and don’t wash out, and breaking up the flower would also break up the heads. It sounds a bit dubious to me, but hey, maybe I’m just a noob in the fine art of hash making.

So, here’s my dilemma. If trim can produce hash that meets my standards, why would slightly broken up nuggets be worse? I’m just thrilled to be getting a ton of free hash from stuff I was ready to toss in the compost bin. But I don’t want to waste my time or flower. I could give it to the homeless if it’s not going to wash.

My experience with bubble bags has been primarily with trim, and the yield has been mind-blowing. Last night, I ran two 1-gallon freezer bags of trim leaf in 5-gallon buckets. Admittedly, I ran the material three times, stirring by hand with a tiny paddle. The times were a bit longer than recommended – 15 minutes, 10 minutes, and 6 minutes – but, hey, I was getting a bit lazy. Surprisingly, I wasn’t seeing any green, and I decided to call it quits because, well, boredom and the desire to smoke took over. I still have 80% of the hash from the first trim run i did many months (a year?) ago.

Now, I find myself with 4-5 plants’ worth of dried and cured flower that doesn’t quite tickle my taste buds. I’ve already made more butter and edibles than I need, so we’re talking about at least half a pound of flower I don’t want, maybe even a full pound.

Oh, and there are two freezer bags of fresh-frozen material from a mite-infested plant that I didn’t have the energy to deal with. I’ve heard fresh-frozen yields are supposedly poor, but I’m curious to give it a shot. I bagged and froze it immediately, and I’ve been assured that the mites won’t make it through the work bag. What are your thoughts on this?

Looking forward to hearing your insights and experiences. Let’s hash it out together!`

13 Likes

Check out JoeCrowe’s thread on bubble hash (if you haven’t already), he is tracking yield vs strain among other things.

I’d think the 220 micron bag should filter out the dead bugs just fine.

Cheers
G

9 Likes

Good question. Was watching a video this morning about making rosin from bubble hash and Jeremy from Build a soil and Pedro did a couple runs different strains one was more trim the other bud and the yeild came out pretty close. They were also dried differently. I’ve only really used dried trim and smaller lower buds myself. Could see that using bud would potentially trap some of the heads if not broken up some first, even with a few runs since your not supposed to really beat it up.

1 Like

If you enjoyed the bud try dry sifting, it’s a concentrated form of the flavour, imo it doesn’t get better for flavour.

Creme de la creme!
Solvent free live resin.

8 Likes

I’m surprised it was said bud doesn’t yeild so well?
I’m far from an expert but that isn’t my experience with hash making, i don’t have figures but there’s no doubt in my mind bud yeilds significantly more resin/hash

3 Likes

I beat the living shit out of my buds. They are pulp when I’m done with them. No problem.

6 Likes

This gives me all the confirmation I need. Your opinion is a trusted one. I figured if trim can do wonders, I can pretty much grind the buds and be fine. I was thinking of just rough chopping them with big scissors before tossing them in the bags. I think I will run some older flower tonight.

4 Likes

I go relatively easy the first mix but by the third, sometimes second hand mix i break out the drill/mixer and end with pretty much a frozen bud smoothie, lol. Did have better initial run last couple of times when it was broken up more before adding it.

2 Likes

I use quite a bit of bud as well as trim when I am making bubble hash. But I use a paint stirrer attached to a drill which breaks up the buds exposing all the trichomes. I have had better yields using bud compared to just using trim. I also freeze all bud and trim days before trying to make bubble.

IMG_0533 IMG_0532

7 Likes