Bubble bag question

I’m getting ready to try some bubble bags so I can get rid of 2 runs worth of trim that completely fill a small top mount freezer. I noticed that the instructions say that the 90 micron is the best pull and the 73 and 25 micron pulls are of lower quality. This is counter intuitive as I figured the smaller the micron size the better the quality. Anyone here that can explain this phenomenon to me as you would a child?

4 Likes

An excellent question! I would also think the smaller the orifice, the higher quality end product.

1 Like

73 micron is usually the best quality,

A trichome head is typically about 78 microns so 73 is gonna catch the 78 size, 90 is gonna be less pure with minimal plant matter and 45 is gonna be broken trichome heads that will get the job done but not as much as an intact trichome pile would do

14 Likes

Sounds reasonable. Thank you

1 Like

Be sure to post pics! I’m gonna be doing some last season stuff in buckets soon too!

One thing I do different is I do my agitation in a seperate bucket as the bags so I’m not damaging them and then just dump the slurry into the bag bucket. Something to consider

4 Likes

I use the 73 and the 25 bags
I find the 73 to be better , much better , but I do smoke and or give away the 25

3 Likes

I do the 220, 160, 90, 73, and 45. First two are just my work bags to keep it clean of plant matter with 3 grades of good hash

4 Likes

That’s my plan also. My trim is mostly leafy so I’ll only post pics if they’re OG worthy.

1 Like

We don’t wanna see the trim, just the tootsie rolls at the end hahahs

2 Likes

Lolol will do. I plan on getting to it later today. I’m sure I’ll have a couple questions about drying. Hopefully someone will be around to give some guidance

2 Likes

Did u get a 25 micro drying screen?

U can take each grade of hash throw it in that and squeeze all the water out then I like to break up the ball in a coffee filter on a paper plate and let dry for a day or two

2 Likes

My sweet spot is 159 down to 45.

Some might disagree with me but I find collecting the 25 to be more effort than it’s worth unless you want it for edibles.

If you don’t quite know what you’re doing I’d suggest this:

Use all the bags and collect them individually. It’s a lot of work but you will see what looks good and what doesn’t what you want and what you don’t.

My goal is lovely black pressed hash. Some might say 45 is too low, but that’s my move.

All the best.

12 Likes

He makes a good point, they say 25 micron is food grade hash cuz most contaminants ain’t getting to that screen and the broken trichomes are best for melting down in something anyways

5 Likes

Yes this is a good move too and I do pretty much the same I just omit the 90 and the 73 bags and let it all fall into the 45 and collect in one go. :+1:

7 Likes

How are you guys cleaning your bags?

Smart man… would have saved me a decent amount of time on my first run. I ended up combining everything in the 45-159 range anyway… :joy:

4 Likes

Aw shucks :wink:.

I still think it’s a good move, especially for your first time, to put in that extra work. The information you give yourself will allow you to figure out what works for you.

I’m glad I did it. Would I do it twice? Nope.

For cleaning I use alcohol. The freezer might be better but I have no room in there with all the French fries and severed heads.

10 Likes

This is what I was thinking… ty :+1:

Also, wish I had planned for it taking a lot longer than expected… and swapped my stirring arm more often.

3 Likes

Yup they sent the drying screen

1 Like

Past 90 micron, the incidence of broken trichomes and non-capitate stalks increases, so the quality can begin to decrease, consider it a point of diminishing returns; your total mass of concentrate increases, but overall quality decreases. 25 micron is generally recognized as trash and used for cooking or topicals.
Pretty sure that our own reincarnation of Frenchy Cannoli can fill in some blanks:

You’ll find microscopy, and a full explanation of his process here

3 Likes

Reiko was saying the other day that it’s important to use ethyl alcohol instead of isopropyl to protect your bags. Basically 180 proof everclear

5 Likes