Exploring weed and popping seed (in the workshop)

oh my god, you just gave me a flashback to college. I guerilla grew in my attic without my parents knowing, and when I was home alone it was lugging milk jugs of water upstairs. Dozens of milk jugs… Up some rickety old pull down attic ladder…

Not quite sure how the plants didn’t absolutely fry with the temps up there…

4 Likes

It definitely had that feel, transported to different time . Tents in different nooks, impossible to stay organized. I could deal with it until we had an emergency and had to go away for a couple of nights. My wife said “ don’t worry I’ll get someone to help” what I didn’t know was she had asked her 76 year old mother to do it. Crawling on her hand and knees to get to the containers and carrying all the water. I felt terrible and my wife couldn’t stop :joy:. So no more of that with any luck as it felt like a sitcom.

1 Like

Well the heatwave is back here as well as smoke, so I’ve retreated inside to do some trimming. I had to chop one of the Texeda Purps(Richard Williams Seed co)due to being broken by high winds on my deck. It was only a little early so not the end of the world. It’s still the first plant I’ve successfully finished outside (last year was a bust due to naivety hahaha)

I haven’t sampled yet, but it smells like black hash with a touch of afghani spiciness. Seems fairly airy, but looks good to me! The other pheno has a lemonade smell and has the purple flower so that’ll be interesting to compare. Super leafy though so not the most enjoyable trim.

8 Likes

It’s been a crazy week, so I’ve been a little slow on the update. Drywall is done. I had to get an electrician in to add a new breaker and reorganize the outlets. 15A across all outlets wasn’t going to work. So now I have 3 circuits of 15A so I should be away. Paint and ducting is next week. It’s slow but progress. Feels like actual gardening is in sight.

In the mean time, the semi autos I had outside appear to have reflowered. I’d thought they’d just been triggered early by either the crazy cold snap or the repeated heat domes.They’ve got some crazy compacted buds/foxtails, especially considering this seems to be a strain (texada Purps) firmly in the Afghanica realm. This is the second pheno has a surprising lemonade scent to it.

I have one more where I appear to have thrown off the PH of the sip it’s in, but it didn’t reflower and has the lemonade smell the strongest.

Wookie orgasm really stretching now. Starting quite late so I hope she survives the fall long enough.

Hopefully can get the seeds in the dirt this week and really got rolling.

13 Likes

Looking good my friend. What I would give to have a fresh space that size. Wow! Stoked to see how it turns out. The seeds listed all sound awesome, I’m really curious to see that Pink Kush. I have a suspicion it’s gonna be :fire:.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m pretty excited to have the flexibility. I couldn’t get space for many years so hopefully now I can really make the most of it. My hope is to be able to do regular seed runs and be able to explore some lines. Once I’ve been through a run in the new space, I want to try growing some more exotics and making seeds. Just need to avoid bankrupting myself with it. :wink:

I found someone selling Scott family farms/Reeferman locally. So I decided to roll the dice. Hopefully it lives up to the description Ultimate Pink Kush S1 – SeedBay

2 Likes

Well the bodhi drop added some cool things to the collection. Golden hashplant , dla 15, and a few others.

On a more productive but equally impoverishing note. Got some major touches done on the space.

Installed an 8 inch vent to outside. So I’ve got intakes to cut next, but inside so easy.

Also made these cool potting benches, from parts of an old sauna and some new fence posts.

I’ve also got some windows in one of the spaces. So I made cutouts for quick removal.

And a bit ridiculous, but it was free. A fridge for seed storage.

Painting next and on to fitting lights!

8 Likes

These are the branches left on one of the plants that reflowered. These branches didn’t though. It looks so different. Way tighter structure and the pink hairs look pretty. It also makes me happy I’ll get some normal buds from this. All in all outdoors kicked me in the nuts. Heat domes or bud rot, next year maybe I’ll just try full auto.

7 Likes

Took down the few good buds from the drying rack. This is from the same plant as the insane impacted fluff from a few posts ago.

Thought I wasn’t going to get anything but hash off this run until now. This flower looks different and has reasonable density. Stoked to have something to enjoy. It smells strongly of perfume/hash slightly acrid. I’ll give a second trim once my nose stops running

14 Likes

Hope its a lovely smoke for you man after all the work you put in.

1 Like

Thanks! Hopefully it’ll be good when it comes out the jar in a few weeks. It’ll be curious to compare the finished phenos. they all smell different and have this sharp pungency to them. I’ll post some vape reports when I pop the jars in a few weeks!

1 Like

Ha! How did I miss this post, epic seed storage fridge bro! If you fill that up I’ll be wicked impressed. Lmao Looking good in there, can’t wait until it’s finished.

1 Like

This the texada purps? The reflowers? Definitely frosty in there, nice big trichomes

1 Like

Ok, so finally a update! Major progress on the space. Finished the vast majority of the painting, with the exception of the second room. Wall fans are mounted, and ducting and inline fan. Not too much left before I can get some plants in there. Tomorrow is lighting and the carbon filter. Getting pretty excited now it feels like i can finally get the perpetual fired up again!

Since the space is almost ready to be fired up. I’ve popped some seeds at last.

5 Purple afghani hashplant
4 mango hashplant
4 Snow thrower

Combine this with the Ultimate pink Kush and eternal sunshine I’ve had sitting in stasis and it will be a nice selection.

11 Likes

Yeah, I need to get organized and try out that setup that reikox recommended to make hash. I’ve got 3 different plants in through it. Gonna throw them in the freezer for now. It seemed like you could find some good plants in that line. Unfortunately the best quality plant was that last one but. It had the least interesting terps. Next year maybe I’ll try them again still got 11 beans left.

2 Likes

Clean ventilation install, nice and tight!

I wanna neaten mine up, maybe put the tubes between floor joists above and hard mount my fans (currently they are suspended).

1 Like

Woohoo! Here we go, atta boy! Soooo close. Stoked for you brother

1 Like

Thanks! First time I’ve been able to have the fans actually mounted. Its nice it doesnt vibrate too much which i was worried about. The floor joists are the fun bit as they are only and inch wide and hidden behind the ceiling, so I’ve got to tackle that for the filter and lights. My plan is install 2x4s across multiple joists, just hoping the stud finder pulls through. it seems correct on 70% of the time which stresses me out.

Out of curiosity I saw you were collecting pollen, how much filtering do you have on the “love shack” and do you keep it in a separate part of the house? I’ve not really been able to judge how careful you need to be, and the cost of fuckup seems high.

First time doing so…

Main tents are in one “room”, but the love shack is in an adjacent “room”, no door, just a partial wall with doorway cutout w/ panda film drape door. Photo tent is now zipped all the time because of photoperiod, but auto tent (which is flowering), I intended a seed run with. Love Shack is also zipped 24x7. I am trying to keep the main colas in the auto tent (3x3) unseeded and do just the lower branches, so far looks good, but time will tell. Any seeds I get there I will be happy with either way.

I’ve been rather delicate collecting pollen until today. Last few days it was a dozen or so sacs a day, individually shaken / pulled. Today I did a much more vigorous shake, still stem by stem, but I could absolutely see the pollen floating. The only fan in the love shack is a 4" exhaust fan pulling from the tent and going into a carbon filter. Doubt that filters out much of the pollen, you’d seriously need a hepa filter, but I’m sure it takes some out of the air. And with no other fan in the 2x2, the air flow is enough from the 4" exhaust to not really cause pollen to fly with a few vents open. If my outside wall access was different, I am sure that I would be venting that outside and have far fewer potential issues… Still trying to figure out the best layout / use of space here…

I guess time will tell, do the main colas get seeded, or remain seed free? I’m betting at least the random one or two, likely more, but not like the purposely pollenated branches…

If I was really concerned about controlling the pollen, I would probably move the love shack to the main floor, and shower after working in their tent. For now, its a seed run, and by the time the photos start flowering, my pollenation will be done and I doubt any remaining unseen pollen will be viable by then.

3 Likes

Thank you for the detailed description! I’ll be interested to see what unintended seeding you might get , hopefully not much at all.

On the filters, if you’re trying to save money apparently merv-4 furnace filter should do for the particulate size of the pollen. I’ve been thinking to try and do a few open pollination runs. Maybe the separation of the two rooms and using a tent would do it. Well one way to find out! hopefully I’ll have some f2s to share if it works out.

3 Likes