Extraction for dummies

That sounds very good just like a real still for moonshine.

1 Like

I use methanol. $15 a gallon and available at most hardware stores labeled as “Methyl Hydrate” or “Denatured Alcohol”

Cheaper, easier and safer to work with than isopropyl and produces an end product with a shatter consistency.

3 Likes

I ended up just getting a 3bag bubbler setup. Gonna make bubble hash and see what happens. May invest in some 99% alcohol. Trim/stems/bud come out to around 480 grams. Hopefully that’s even doable out of this bag.

1 Like

So I know the purpose of distilling is to eliminate the solvent and be left with the RSO, but methanol is super toxic. People die from drinking it, of course, but I wouldn’t even want to be anywhere near the fumes while distilling it.

You might be the only person I’ve heard of who use methanol for RSO, but it’s been years since I first started making it and was doing a lot more research on the subject. Is it common?

1 Like

5 gal bucket, ice, water, frozen bud, power drill with a egg beater attachment.

Mix for 15 minute intervals, people say to let it sit, I just strain it when I’m done mixing and do like 5-6 washes.

Its labor intensive but check prices for ice hash and ice hash rosin at your local dispensary and you’ll see why its worth it.

I said blender earlier but I tried it again and it makes the hash flimsy flim flam bullshit, too much contaminant gets homogenized into the gland heads and it destroys the quality.

2 Likes

Hmmm…I got an alert from overgrow that you replied to my comment, which was specifically directed to TrevorLahey and his process of using methanol to make RSO. I’m guessing you hit the ‘Reply’ button at the bottom of my post instead of the one at the bottom of the entire thread, right?

2 Likes

I use naptha, or in oz it/s called shellite, previously I have used hexane( and various other solvents) but hexane is significantly more expensive and the results are no better, check the quality of the naptha by doing a glass plate evaporation test to make sure there is no residue. Non polar solvents won’t extract the chlorophyll. I just whack on a pair of nitrile gloves and wash the weed for 30 seconds or so, squeeze it out and add some more and repeat a few times, I have extracted pounds and pounds like this… I have used a soxhlet with naptha on weed that has been ice extracted for hash, and then I add the extract back to the dry hash crumble, heat it and roll it into a black sticky ball.
From this…

to this

7 Likes

I’d like a bottle of that just to keep There’s no guessing what to use that bottle for! Some micro brewery has there head in the right spot.

3 Likes

woops yeah I was responding to OP not trying to derail your conversation :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s been discussed in detail here and elsewhere and there’s a few of us who only use this method. At 99.99% purity this stuff leaves nothing behind once evaporated. As mentioned I’m left with a rock hard, beer glass-like end product. It’s :fire: no doubt and gives better returns than when I used to use iso, buthane and the likes.

There’s plenty of good articles and information out there, here is a good one discussing it’s superior extraction capability vs traditional solvents:

https://blog.restek.com/medical-marijuana-solvent-extraction-efficiency-–-potency-determinations-with-gc-fid/

This is what Rick Simpson calls for in his original recipe. I know I’ve probably said it before but I knew Rick back when he first started pushing the RSO and he never told us he used naptha, but kerosene instead. Naptha isn’t something you just go and buy here as far as I know so I never understood how he was getting it but maybe his recipe changed over the years.

2 Likes

Eeek, I would most definitely NOT use kerosene, way way too heavy a fraction and likely to leave behind all sorts of residue. Naptha is just camping stove fuel and is a mix of aliphatic hydrocarbons that are all on the lighter side. The only issue with it is that the boiling point is a little high., and is unpredictable because the blend of hydrocarbons is a bit variable… It should be readily available though I would think? Also polar solvents such as methanol, ethanol and iso will all extract chlorophyll to some degree so unless there is some secondary process such as saponifying it etc, the extract is going to be contaminated with chlorophyll, at least that has been my experience… Butane extraction done at subzero temps works well also, but is just too hazardous for my liking.

2 Likes

Wash it and squash it! No residual solvents, no explosions, just ice, water, heat, and pressure.

9 Likes