Growing for oil - best strains and methods

It appears that oil is getting easier to produce and much safer than ever before. As long as you use CO2.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the best strains for making oil. I would imagine the more resin you can get on your beds, the more oil (or more potent oil) you will get.

5 Likes

I am moving toward the press and away from complex processes.

Interested to see where this topic goes.

Yeah @jonesman51!

2 Likes

It really depends on what you are after. Anything will produce oil with solvents. The first time I made oil was with Mexican commercial and isopropyl alcohol. The quality was poor though.

Are you going for yield, trying to cure a disease, looking for tasty dabs? Each of those may have a different answer. In general, try something from TGA/SubCool he breeds with an eye for hash production as well as flavor. The Jilly Bean rosin was excellent and yielded decent. Original Glue #4 is a good one for oil I’m told, but I still haven’t gotten the cut.

3 Likes

No solvents, no purging, tasty dabs, and full spectrum? Yes please! Seriously, less than 20 minutes from the jar to the nail. It’s awesome for a small scale operation.

2 Likes

i’ve heard shishkaberry and barbara bud are 2 great hash producing strains. if you find a cut of shishk let me know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am always interested in hearing about strains that have produced great results , I personally use an isopropyl wash ,and let it evap to air (?) Be a while before I can afford a press,I have in the past let sit for an extra day in the sun,with super clean results ! I love this stuff !if I could I put some concentrate in every joint I would !
And thank you for the heads up on tga gear ! I just happened to have a Deep Purple x Trainwreck from a fellow OG’er that survived ! Will have to take a cutting !
Peace and love all !

1 Like

there are some companies that boast about their extraction yields as an advertising gimmick… one of them being moxie seeds.
I’d recommend avoiding that company, their stock is overpriced fems, which have low germ rates and a tendency to throw out herms and unrecognizable mutants.

Their branding uses the name of a bho retail company in california, but the seed making is outsourced to spain. Basically the same gimmick as humboldt seed organization. Capitalize on the name recognition of popular strains from california like blue dream and cookies, but sell random spanish/european genetics.

3 Likes

Quick question for everyone…if I have the choice between isopropyl alcohol and methyl hydrate…which is better? I’m grabbing one or the other in the next few hours…was hoping for some help deciding.

2 Likes

Sorry Tappy ,I just noticed your question,I hope that you grabbed isopropyl,not sure if gas line antifreeze is okay at all to use (?) Hope you are okay (?) peace and respect

1 Like

Theres a few guys here using methyl hydrate. I think its what I’m going for next time

2 Likes

@ftlob @Grease_Monkey
I was going to buy 2 gallons of iso for next weekend. I couldnt remember who it was that was using methyl hydrate…he said it evaporated faster and left more of a shatter than an oil…and it’s cheaper than iso.
But could it be considered the same as phoenix tears/RSO?

1 Like

Yeah,I did some research,I’ve been happy with the old isopropyl strip and evap, would love to hear about your results
Peace

1 Like

I think mr sparkle and trevor layhey mentioned it

2 Likes

But the question is would this still be considered RSO if using methyl hydrate rather than iso? Does it stay tacky/runny when heated like iso?
@Mr.Sparkle @TrevorLahey

2 Likes

So the main difference between RSO and these QWISO (quick wash) extraction methods is the length of time you leave the solvent and leaf material together before straining. Longer soak times extract much more waxes/lipids/chlorophyl/etc which is why RSO is so runny and often dark green or black in color. Rick Simpsons original recipe didn’t use isopropyl. I actually used to know Rick and he told everyone back then he used kerosene for his method but confirmed later on he used naptha in the original recipe. Soak times vary from 15 minutes to overnight for RSO.

Of course shorter soak times will result in a product with much less contaminants, but a significantly reduced yield. I find 30-45 seconds to be a good starting point with methanol and 45-60 seconds with isopropyl. Isopropyl will give you the cleanest product, but methanol will give you more yield/return.

Just made this 2 days ago, sorry didnt have a pic of it all collected but the color is good as you can see. Input was a full quart jar of trim and larf from last grow. Got about 2-3g out of it and it tastes and dabs great.

4 Likes

I had an idea of preserving terpenes for med oil by first doing a water destillation, decarb then alcohol extraction, anyone tried water destillation over plants for terpene extraction? Any toughts?

1 Like

Fantastic!! Thank you for the crystal clear response!!! Methyl Hydrate it is. Thanks again!!!

One last question…heating method?

3 Likes

I use an electric griddle. It’s a nice low, even heat, and I keep it on its lowest setting which I’ve verified to be between 180-210 degrees.

You dont need a lot of heat, or any at all for that matter. It will actually evaporate at room temp if you leave it overnight.

Of course, the standard precautions should be taken when working with volatile solvents.

2 Likes

Sweet ,and thank you all for your knowledge ! I appreciate how you layed that right out ! I love concentrates as well !
And Naptha! Wow,I remember working at various gas plants in my youth,static electricity generated by polyester clothing was said to be enough of an ignition source for some of those solvents,
And at risk of sounding like someone’s mother, please play safe
Peace

1 Like