Is BHO going to fade away?

I enjoy BHO a lot. I have to throw out there that when you pay the upfront cost of a rosin press there is nothing to buy until it breaks except parchment. (bags if you want) With BHO you are buying gas and replacing glassstubes pretty often. Not to mention the mess and disposing of contaminated flowers. Be safe and don’t be afraid to try new methods. I am not a hater of BHO, i just like the ease and cleanliness of rosin.

4 Likes

Total agreement here. Machine costs are big. Environmental costs are too (Butane)!

1 Like

I’m a rosin hater. There’s no craft in it. BHO is around until I’m not at the very least lol

1 Like

Why this opinion? Pressure and temperature must be tailored for the strain as well as timing involved.

1 Like

how do they compare for yields? i imagine rosin gets lost stuck to the bag or still in the flower but i’ve never pressed

1 Like

The yield is similar and here is some info if you want.

1 Like

I don’t know why the opinion. It’s one of my opinions just very loosely based on feelings really. Little facts behind it. Most of my opinions aren’t like that, but this one is. I understand that it’s safer, easier, and can be similar quality, but I just don’t like it. Maybe it’s because it’s the easy way out I dunno?

1 Like

There’s something appealing about the purity of a rosin press… pressure, temperature, done. Things like BHO, isohash, and other extracts for the chemistry-inclined have always made me a bit uneasy.

“This tastes… peculiar.”
“Oh, there might be a little xylene that didn’t cook off.”
:dizzy_face:

Flowers and nice glass for me, thanks. Maybe some bubblehash once my trim bucket fills up a bit more :wink:

5 Likes

I get it tested for residual solvents.

1 Like

Here in my little microcosm rosin is more popular than BHO. I am wondering if that is going to spread east across the US. Emotions will play a part as hash enthusiast pick sides. The lack of need for permits for hazardous materials would be a check in favor for rosin i assume.

Team bho bubble and pressed dry sift

2 Likes

i don’t think ive ever smoked rosin so it’s hard for me to say. i do like the idea of using a ratchet clamp and a hair straightener for doing small squishes - easier than blasting a couple grams or something. maybe i’ll give it a try, the investments cheap enough.

2 Likes

I am on the exact same boat. Clamps and Hair straightener soon. Also will do some bubble hash. I already produce a lot more tha I consume so will start doing some other stuff too \o/
I think rosin is awesome and safe. Hard to beat that

2 Likes

that’s a problem i’d like to have! ideally i’d like to turn everything i make in to edibles, either from BHO or rosin

does the heat from pressing rosin or purging shatter decarboxylate it so it’s all active thc ?

2 Likes

Rosin is normally pressed at 180-190 degrees so i would assume it is active. I also hear about people eating the bud chips and getting way ripped so there is more evidence. :grin:

Commercial BHO reclaims most of the solvent. Commercial rosin production presses kief, either ice water or dry sieves. 80% yields and above from kief. People will also dry sieve frozen flower with dry ice and press the ‘live’ kief.

1 Like

Here my shops have live rosin, flower rosin, pressed kief rosin, whole plant rosin, rosin with added terps, and lord knows what else. :relaxed:

4 Likes

not when live resin is selling under 20 a gram i can’t make it for that rosin seems to command a higher price at the moment but i have a feeling that will change soon as well.

1 Like

I have a little different opinion than @Enstromentals but same base. I really enjoy smelling bud and looking at the bud structure before smoking. I feel like BHO lack of this part, but to be honest, I barely have experience with dabbing and it wasn’t good quality at all. :sweat_smile:
One love

1 Like

Bho will stick around just for this reason alone when you can extract 10+ lbs at a time without much work guess how long it would taje you to press q0 lbs at a 1/8 at a time cause its been found you get higher quality when you press small for this economical fact it will be around to stay rosin will prolly be more of a home hobby an bho will be the industrial side

3 Likes