Eye protection.?

What kind of glasses do you wear in your growroom? Will polarized glasses work?

3 Likes

anything that will shade those bright things and keep you from being blinded haha

3 Likes

ya as long as there polarized, preferably wraparounds. the uv is filtered by the polarization, but if u have glass in your hoods most of uv is filtered already from the hood glass.

my only gripe is polarized glasses wont let you read digital readouts. so i cant use them with my meters.

i use Apollo Horticulture brand you can get on amazon for like 14 bucks but i run HPS and they let me see the color of plants, as well as being compatible with my digital readouts.

edited because im high and submitted too soon.

2 Likes

Thanx bro. I was lookin at those Apollos

These guys always get rave reviews. They have lots of different kinds.

https://growershouse.com/method-seven-7-operator-hps-glasses

2 Likes

I ordered the Method Seven Cultivator HPS Plus+ shortly after I posted. Based on reviews and facebook page. Hope they worth it. 50 beans

2 Likes

only heard good things, but fosho post up your review.

I went with these in prescription form for hps ! There amazing they added magnifying strip across the bottom of the eye glass ! Works great for spotting bugs .

2 Likes

Update : I like the Method Seven Cultivator HPS Plus+ so far. Comfortable and seem to work on reducing eye strain. Takes the yellow out and makes it look like natural room lighting.

2 Likes

LED lights are my eye protection.

I also wear hats all the time in the room and my prescription sunglasses sometimes. The only time I’m exposed to the lights is when I’m under them so I feel the hat works the best.

I feel this protects me well enough

keeping it old school as usual :+1::+1:

2 Likes

do the vuarnet mineral lenses provide enough protection? I have a pair of vuarnet nautilux skilynx glasses from the 90s with the same double gradient polarized lens.

Recently I’ve been using shade 5 welding goggles for protection from my full spectrum light emitting ceramic bulb, but they’re useless because of the green lenses. I’d much rather be using a nice pair of sunglasses.

1 Like

Damn bro, welding goggles?

+1 for protecting ur eyes. U only get one set.

But a good pair of wrap around polarized sunglasses will do nicely.

I had Lasik corrective surgery a year ago and a side effect is light sensitivity, my Apollo horticultural glasses are great, method 7 is higher quality and I’ll be picking up a pair next week.

3 Likes

The Skilynx lens blocks 90% of incoming light, that should be enough. They block 100% of UV light. The colors are fairly realistic. You probably need the welding glasses if you’re going to stare right into the bulb :smiley:

seriously I usually wear a baseball cap as well, to keep light from shining down into my eyes inside the glasses

4 Likes

High wattage lights eye protection is a must led from what I’ve been told are the hardest on your eyes?

1 Like

full-spectrum (white) LED isn’t too bad but lights with colored diodes (red & blue) are actually painful on the eyes, it can’t be good

1 Like

Well LED don’t have UV and that is what does damage to your eyes.

I got paranoid once over this and saw an eye doctor and they said they would be more concerned over sunlight since you are exposed to it more often and the UV A and B is what does the damage.

I mean I’m in my room a half hour a day at most and most days it’s not even everyday.

If I’m gonna be in there working for a while I’ll go in before lights on and use the incandescent overhead light.

1 Like

To be thorough, the amount of UV produced relative to sunlight is (usually) quite small. Negligible might be a better term.
Also, keeping in mind, some fixtures do include LEDs specifically targeting the UV band (usually UVA, sometimes UVB) which can approach similar levels of exposure as to sunlight.

Looking closer:

Sunlight

287-320nm UVB : 0.06%
320-399nm UVA : 3.06%
Integral radiant (350-840nm): 483.8 W/m^2

Shaded Sunlight

287-320nm UVB : 0.20%
320-399nm UVA : 7.39%
Integral radiant (350-840nm): 60 W/m^2

LED Heliospectra 601C

287-320nm UVB : 0.01%
320-399nm UVA : 0.12%
Integral radiant (350-840nm): 177.6 W/m^2

Fluence RAY44 UVSpec

287-320nm UVB : 0.02%
320-399nm UVA : 19.07%
Integral radiant (350-840nm): 34.1 W/m^2

So from these, we can make a general estimate as to the power in the UV band for the listed lamps (note: this is not the correct way to calculate this but it works as an estimation):

Sunlight: ~15W/m^2
Shaded sunlight: ~4.5W/m^2
LED 601C: ~0.23W/m^2
LED Fluence UV: ~6.5W/m^2

For the single LEDs fixtures shown, relative to sunlight, the amounts of UV are small except for the LED fixture that include LEDs that specifically targets UV. As the number / power of the fixtures increase, there would be a corresponding increase in the UV band power.

More spectral information, here:

3 Likes

love this, theres something about a well laid out graph that gets my engines going.

i would just like to point out if the light source is behind tempered glass a reduction in overall uv can be expected.

edited because words are hard…

2 Likes

I use my polarized Oakley’s.

1 Like