FBSC Lemint Seed Run

Thanks for the link but that guy doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground to be frank. I should get my ass on the internet to add some info. Almost everything I read about landraces when I Google it is either inaccurate or incomplete.
South Africa’s landrace varieties are as follows. Swazi Red, Kwazulu, Lesotho, Transkei, (Swazi Gold is a hybrid, Durban Poison is a hybrid)some would include Drakensburg and Ciskei as well.( Almost all South African land races have Mozambique as their mother, at least in some percentage)
Traveling north we have landrace varieties from Mozambique, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and Angola red which is Congo red, both relatives of swazi red if I had to bet money on it. Next we have Malawi, which actually has four different landrace strains. Congo certainly has more than several , Kenya has several, Tanzania has several, Sudan and Ethiopia have landraces, Egypt has a land race, Morocco’s land race is between 800 and 2000 years old and it’s a sativa, not an indica. I could go on and on. It would be harder to find a country in Africa that does not have a landrace😁. Sorry if I’m sounding like a know-it-all but if you don’t know it all ( not you corey) you should not be posting information on the internet. And I most certainly do not know it all. I bet I know less than 10% of what’s out there waiting to be learned.

26 Likes

Hey @Upstate! I’m very happy that you are here. I’m in love with landraces nowadays and you would be a very important asset to this thread. I feel privileged in doing this run with theses genetics. We have only just begun… I encourage you to post any info here on this sativa polyhybrid and then some if you don’t mind. I thank you much for all your input… I was waiting for you to show.
As long as this run is going I will be researching and posting links to help us all understand what we are in for. Together as as a team people can accomplish amazing results. I’m open to all and any information… Please feel at home here! Thank you!!

15 Likes

One sign of a truly smart man. :slight_smile: Since I know less than 2%, I’ll stick around and try to boost that up to 3 or 4%, though it might take a few decades. I’m a slow learner sometimes, and already getting old.

6 Likes

Very true words! Sometimes I miss being a young man, back when I used to know everything LOL.
@corey keep posting those links. There’s often a bit of good information to be gleaned from them. Much of it unfortunately is inaccurate. It’s surprising how little information is actually out there to be found when you Google the word landrace.
I have learned far more on Instagram, from books, and from older folks that lived through the landrace golden age.
But of course the best information about landraces can be gotten only by growing them yourself😁

14 Likes

Yeah, no fun at all. I have Swazi Gold and Durban Poison, actually paid for the Durban Poison… was rather disappointed to find it wasn’t a landrace, though at least it’s a decent fast-flowering sativa IBL by now. Not bad either, but I bought it because I thought it was a landrace. I also have a few Kwazulu seeds I bought from World of Seeds, glad to see that’s a real one at least; and Kilimanjaro, also from them. Purple Malawi’s another one, just got those from @Nagel420 though I’m not sure where they came from before that.

I’m hoping to get through a few crops with happy, healthy plants all the way through before the landraces, because I want to do preservation runs for each and every one of them without killing too many. :stuck_out_tongue: That’s also waiting on a bit of renovation so I can use the basement to refill my own stash while doing seed runs in the tent. Up until recently I was stuck smoking Miracle-Gro bud from the black market, don’t want to end up back there…

6 Likes

Those I won in @HaRdRoC’s server raffle in June / July… So he may know a bit more about their origin…

3 Likes

From world of seeds too, I believe…got them in a trade from @George

4 Likes

Could be from me originally. I passed quite a lot of those out here on OG. Great uplifting smoke.
Kind of funny, but there is no Durban landrace. Durban is just a port city in South Africa. Because it is a populated area, the weed from the surrounding Countryside that made its way to the area for sale was just collectively called Durban. The “poison” moniker was added first by Colonials in an attempt to dissuade their kids from using " that poison" the local tribes used, and later by the breeder in San Francisco as a marketing ploy. The Strain that is called Durban Poison is made in part from kwazulu landrace, which flowers 16 to 18 weeks, and more than likely some other local landrace sativas, with some unknown Indica mixed in either in ancient( arab traders circa 1200) or more modern ( Indian sailers)times. Kwazulu landrace is what the Zulu tribe used to use before battle to get them in prime fighting shape. If you are looking for speed weed, thats your Huckleberry right there😁. The version World of Seeds has is most likely hybridized, although the pictures I’ve seen make it look tempting anyway. I think they have just used some clever marketing, and what they have looks to be “Durban Poison”.
The Landrace team sells a Durban Highland that looks like it is most likely Kwazulu landrace.
Going from memory here, but I think Swazi Gold is an heirloom hybrid of Malawi Gold and Swazi Red. It is extremely rare these days. Some say gone. Dates back to the 1940’s when miners from Malawi went to South Africa to work in the gold mines. A real treasure.

15 Likes

Damn. Well, I guess I don’t have Kwazulu then, just two packs of Durban Poison. :frowning: I definitely should’ve come here before spending money on seeds… I took a look at TLT on Strainly, but not knowing any better I figured landraces were true-breeding anyway and so it’d be better to get them from a cheaper and still reliable source. Maybe not so reliable though.

I got it from @Rhino_buddy, he’s been sending them around. He actually posted a picture of them in @corey’s old thread. :slight_smile: Corey's outdoor 2020/2021 seasons - #1054 by Rhino_buddy
Not sure, but he might have more lying around… looks like he chopped around a month and a half ago, so I doubt they’re all gone already.

6 Likes

Thank you kindly for the bookmark worthy knowledge!

3 Likes

I can already see the sativa parentage in these seedlings. We lost the straggler, so it’s 9 plants right now.

16 Likes

Moving along.

23 Likes

16 Likes

I don’t know if the African Haze in this strain is Malawi Gold or Malawi Gold x JJ’s Nigerian.
It’s very hard to find research on these landraces in this mix…
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cannasos.com/amp/strains/590505fbb5d0d931bf22998f

11 Likes

The seedlings are entering the veg stage! In about a week I will re pot into 1 gallon fabric pots and put them under the 450 watt t5 for a couple of weeks. After that they will be re potted again into there final 5 gallon grow bags then into the flower room they will go. I will be using a 1000k double ended hps with a single ended 250 watt MH next to it for flowering.

Explore the Significance of Landrace Cannabis Strains.

21 Likes

Moving along.

16 Likes

Actually, the African Haze in this cross is an unknown sativa that Nick found growing wild in SA. He called it African Haze because of the taste and effect. This was his take on the plant.

Wish I knew anything more about the “African haze” its origin is a mystery to me. I found it growing inland during a very mild winter that had followed a cooler summer. It was in flower when discovered & still took 3 months before I cut them down (selected the best 3, pollinated on site by a male who was left for that reason).

Biggest yield I’ve ever seen & the taste/effect of the unseeded plants has had me growing it ever since. It’s hard to grow well. Any temperature swings causing wispy buds, and it needs light on a scale that makes greenhouse or outdoor serious considerations. Probably greenhouse unless your season is steady & temperate.

Everything but the taste screamed Malawi Gold, a tree rather than a plant. Several meters of branches, very potent, long growing, massive yields. The classic haze sourness is unmistakable & the effect I know well, a sativa that hits like a cleaver. I’ve worked the line for several years with varying success but prefer the original seeds from that queen as I still hope to replicate her.
:guitar:

17 Likes

I’m along for the show! What awesome looking seedlings! Genetics alone this gots to be quite the Sativa mash-up. :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Im curious to see these contained inside a tent! This is my hesitation to attempt a pure/dominant sativa as much as I love them.

2 Likes

Im going to skip the one gallon pots and t5 plan.
Next step will be 5 gallon pots in the main flower tent for a little more veg time under a DE MH for a week or 10 days then I plan on switching the DE bulb with an hps bulb and adding a 250 watt single ended MH next to the double ended bulb. I’m thinking 3 or 4 more days until transplant.

14 Likes