FBSC Lemint Seed Run

Hey, new member here, pulling up a chair. I just can’t ignore these genetics, and I’m glad I got here fairly early in the game!
Can’t wait to see what develops.
Are you shooting for an open pollination for this run?

2 Likes

Hey guys and #freakers happy holidays!
Well it’s been 3 weeks since germination and can you believe it, these plants are averaging 10 to 12 inches! I’m going to just stay with the hps for now. The plants seem to be happy. I don’t want to make things complicated. So far these plants are a treat to grow. They are not picky when it comes to water or fertilizer by any means. They do seem to like a strong light spectrum. Thanks for stopping by! @HeadyBearAdventures yes full open pollination!

10 Likes

When I changed bulbs a couple days ago I mentioned that the leaves on these plants dropped some. That could mean a variety of things including pH lock out, plants needing more light, or it could just mean that your plants are healthy. In this case it was a light factor. The leaves dropped some because they are now getting sufficient light. New growth is pointing up and look more like the plants that I have been researching. I just gave them a heavy watering with a quarter dose of Jacks 111 and a bit of azomite. I will do this once more next watering and back off.

12 Likes

Plants are kicking ass!

24 Likes

Damn, those are growing fast it seems.

1 Like

Right now fast is good. I hope they grow 3 more feet!

4 Likes

Haha! You said 3’!!!

Im guessin 3^2

Got my seat belt fastened!!!

4 Likes

looking really great @corey!! youre doing great work man!

5 Likes

I noticed a very small iron deficiency in one or 2 plants. It’s nothing serious by any means so far. I checked the pH and it’s pushing 7 real hard. Iron is not a mobile nutrient so I’m going to try and lower the pH a half point by using compost mixed in with my waterings. If that don’t do the job then I will give the plants a water/vinegar drench. I am going to top dress with a few coffee grounds as well. I will also be using a pinch of magnesium sulfate every other water. I’m surprised how high the pH is with this mix being 80 percent peat. Rest is worm casting and compost. Other then that they a growing! I did lower light hours to 10.5 on and 13.5 off.

Making Soil More Acidic Organically | Kellogg Garden Organics™.

18 Likes

We have a boy! The plant in the middle is for sure a male and I think the one on the bottom right is a male too. They are getting 10 hours of light now so 10/14 on the light cycle. The pH is over 7 so I’m going to be giving them water/vinegar drenches until we hit 6.5.
I’ll be using Jacks 1 3 2 from now on along with the magnesium sulfate and compost. We are moving along guys!!

The first boy!

23 Likes

The pH lowered a bit and it’s down to 7 now. I took a pot filled it with 2 gallons of water and hard boiled 8 cups of fresh coffee grounds. I have been giving each plant 2 quarts of water every two to three days. So I fill a one gallon jugs and split it between 2 plants. Today I filled the jug with one quart of that coffee and the rest with water. 25/75. 50/50 is what’s recommend. If this don’t lower it I’m going to go the water/vinegar route. I did some dwc in the past and can’t bring myself to use those concentrates on these plants… I won’t add anymore coffee because it has nitrogen in it so it’s either going to work or it aint.
Other then the pH issue that I’m having the plants look great! I have a feeling were going to have an even mix of m/f plants fingers crossed. That is if I just didn’t torch them with the coffee.

https://farmingmethod.com/fastest-way-to-lower-ph-in-soil/

13 Likes

@corey FWIW if you do a boiling water rinse over the coffee grounds and then use the rinsed grounds to make the tea, you’ll get a lot of the volatile compounds and most of the caffeine out of the coffee and it won’t be so intense for the plants
Or you can soak the grounds, drain them, and then resoak. E

1 Like

Thanks I’ll do that next time. I boiled the grounds pretty hard to the point where a lot of them dissolved.

2 Likes

Is this after making coffee? I see"fresh" coffee ground mentioned

Edit… nvmnd, i see used coffee grinds

1 Like

These plants just might get out of control! @Upstate I see what u mean by “better get the twine ready” I will be spreading pots soon. Not much to spread… in a week this 4x8 is going to be full sog. I still cannot get the pH down organically. I have one option left and that’s the vinegar. @ReikoX if this vinegar wash does not work what should I do? @Upstate does pH even matter anymore for a strain like this? Anybody out there know anything about pH levels with landrace strains?
Other then my pH deal the bottom right plant is a male. I can’t capture it yet, but it is. I just need to drop the pH a half point. Thanks!

13 Likes

Is pH important in soil? I think the answer is dependent on your water quality. If you have water that comes out at a pH of 8.0 and is full of bicarbonates, then yes it is very important. This water will lock up calcium. If your water is closer to 7.0 with a low alkalinity then not so much.

If you are going to use vinegar, I would suggest apple cider vinegar as it actually has some beneficial amino acids in it compared to distilled white vinegar without those amino acids.

Another option to lower pH is citric acid. I make a stock solution of water and citric acid at a 10:1 ratio. This stock solution can then be used to lower your pH. Citric acid is created naturally by the plant and used in the Krebs cycle.

A final option, and one I’ve been exploring more recently, is to use fermented plant extracts to lower your pH. These are essentially lactic acid and also have the benefit of adding nutrition to the plant.

13 Likes

Thanks @ReikoX! I’ll get some citric acid. My tap pH that I use on these plants is 7 it’s totally neutral. It is hard water though so it has minerals in it to try and soften it. City water we call it. I just got the regular vinegar. If that doest do it then it’s citric acid for sure. Beats the hell out a me… I do think these plants would benifit from a lower pH other than 7.

4 Likes

Yes, it matters. ( not in soil so much…i never check anything)Sativas prefer Ph a bit lower than hybrids or indicas. 6.2-6.5 is ideal. Rain water is great if you can collect it in a pail…
Citric Acid does work to lower water ph( and works as lemon flavor in iced tea too. Just a pinch.)a little goes a long way. Usually a health food coop that sells bulk spices will carry it.

2 Likes

I need citric acid then. Peeps don’t worry. They are growing like pumpkin vines…

Where are you seeing iron deficiency? I’m not seeing it. Sativas have lighter foliage, and they grow explosively when given room. All the new growth is light green for a day or two before adjusting to the light.
They look great.

3 Likes