Feminized Seeds , Whats Your thoughts!?

Like the reality the biological sex is a continuum? Even in humans there’s a multitude of intersex genotypes and phenotypes. Biological fact.

P.S. Fuck Alex Jones.

Only regular seeds for me, but I think fems have a place if they suit your needs.

.Those aren’t “phenotypes”, they are mutations.
What they teach in “womens studies” class are anything BUT “Biological facts”

1 Like

also “intersex” people can’t self-pollinate - they can’t reproduce asexually, but hermie plants can, that’s the whole problem. If hermies produced sterile pollen it would be much easier to deal with them.

2 Likes

Ok, I think too maybe @anon4675195 dont use total correctly " fenotipe", n maybe “genotipe” too…
But if a genetical mutation “is showed” in your body, at least it’s part of your new fenotipe…

2 Likes

Mutations are genetic. They are inherent in the genotype of the organism that has them. If those mutations alter a physical trail, they also alter the phenotype

Self pollinating monecious Cannabis plants are still reproducing sexually, they are just self-pollinating. Asexual production is cloning or apomixis.

Pero el genoma, y por tanto el genotipo, y por tanto el fenotipo, también puede mutar por factores no inherentes, sino externos debidos al Medio Ambiente

Yes. Mutagens can be environmental (sunlight, chemical, ect) or self contained “mistakes” during replication. But my point is that a mutation is an inherent attribute of the DNA of the organism with a mutation. It is a change in the structure of that organisms DNA. Mutations are the basis for variation and evolution.

Well, exactly:
EVOLUTION = Natural Selection + Mutations

2 Likes

I guess it’s true! They’re actually having sex with themselves, being male and female at the same time, both sexes are present. What’s the correct word I’m looking for - self-reproducing without another living being of the same species. Mono-production?

It’s so much easier just to call it “a crime against nature” and never buy feminized seeds :smiley:

I think it would just be self-pollination.

Its very natural and common among plants. Obviously for drug type Cannabis, as this thread makes clear, full dioecy (separate male and female plats) is preferred. There are hemp strains that are monecious, and it is a common trait among near senescent, unpollinated females (Soma’s rhodelization).

1 Like

"The natural state in which hemp appears was and is dioecious. Monoeciousness is artificial in hemp, it can only exist with the help of man, and without selection, the dioecious state will return in two or three generations."
-Professor Dr. Iván Bócsa
http://www.internationalhempassociation.org/jiha/iha01215.html

3 Likes

Very cool interview, thanks.

He is talking on population levels though. Moneciousness is a natural trait that appeared randomly. What he is saying is that on a population level it is strongly selected against naturally (possibly because of the inbreeding depression it is prone to mentioned in the interview), so in order to maintain a monecious cultivar, it must continually be selected for. This is also a breeder who is working with populations of heterogenous populations, not inbred lineages.

My original statement still applies. Furthermore production of late male flowers on unpollinated female plants is sort of a special case of ‘induced’ moneciousness.

I would love to see or hear more about his ornamental hemp cultivar, Panorama if anyone has info.

2 Likes

@anon4675195 the esteemed professor is unequivocal with that concise statement quoted above, because its a simple crystal clear scientific truth.

It’s easier because it’s correct.

2 Likes

I didn’t challenge his statement. The context just isn’t relevant. My point remains that monecious plants are a natural occurance; otherwise, people could not select for a monecious hemp cultivar.

It’s easier because it’s lazy.

1 Like

Robert Connell Clark and Mark Merlin also make a similar claim in Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany about high THC plants. They claim that plants will revert to low THC quickly within a few Generations if not continually selected for high THC.

I am a little bit skeptical of this claim, however there could be a basis if high THC is actually a negative trait on a population level.

This could make a lot of sense, since THC and terpenes are made from the same subunits of isoprene at some point in their biosynthesis pathway they are competing for reactants. Higher THC likely is correlated with lower terpene content. Since, terpenes may be protective against pests or pathogens, that would be a liability for survival and seed set. That assumes a lot about the function of cannabinoids and terpenes that we don’t really know though.

So, to argue that a trait is unnatural because it is selected by humans really is especially moot in the context we are talking about right now. It is called Artificial Selection, and without it we would have wild hemp and no marijuana.

5 Likes

skip to 25 minutes for feminized seeds, mr soul ends the debate by confirming hermaphroditism is a hormonal thing every plant is capable of and properly feminized seeds from good genetics are 100% safe, or at least that’s how i interpreted it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndHEcgoKaA

9 Likes

Soul pov on it is really interesting…
With hermie proof genetics selfing can be an interesting toy to play with to isolate specific phenotipes…

Ds…

3 Likes

Yeah good info. I think there is a difference between selfing (pollinating the same individual with reversed pollen) and breeding feminized seed. When breeding feminized seed, there are still two individuals providing genes. When selfing you will bring out all of the recessive traits. Selfing is useful for exploring the gene pool, but poor for actual breeding.

Good stuff!

5 Likes