FieldEffect's Attempt to Grow Indoors

I have not but a couple of friends have and the reports/results have all been exceedingly positive.

3 Likes

Sounds good to me.

I’ve got Haffa Haze and Black Triangle F3 from you. And a questionable calendar my wife removed from the refrigerator. Triple spice got more of a sativa bent than Haffa?

5 Likes

I can see the weird look at you :laughing:

2 Likes

I would think so with the Congo influence. It’s lemonier

3 Likes

My experience is mixed with Grove bags. Great outcome with the first order and still in use without any problems. Then I made my second order for testing my crosses which is where the problems started to arise.

26 out 35 bags are like this and will hit 100% failure rate soon. Small cost moneywise, but a big cost in time/effort. After hitting over 50% failure rate on them, I was quite livid since nearly all I’m trying to test won’t get a proper cure now. I reached out to customer service to see if they changed adhesives for the zipper seal for their product, or having a quality control issues lately since the first batch test worked great.

Paraphrasing, the response was “no” and made sure to mention the proper way of opening the bag “get as close as you can to the seal and open slowly” and also heat seal them since I’m having this problem. Then basically pitched me on the other zipper options {child resistant zip,5 track zip, single zip} they have which may or may not have the similar outcome.

I mentioned some bags would fail on the first pull to open after initially filling them. Most failures occurred on the second or third attempt to open. I even tried to negate the failure on the seals by trying to slide the seal apart in a left to right motion in my hands, creating little opening on either corner then slowly use a to slide across to unlock the zipper seal to avoid any pulling pressure on the seals as it would result in another bag failing.

I’m still waiting to hear back on my couple questions about their acceptable % of failures and expected failure rate % for the single tracks zipper bags. Every product that made has a failure rate. I probably won’t get those answers, but I figured I’d ask.

Unfortunately, since I checked out as a guest and deleted my order invoice based off my first orders results with their product. If I order again, it would be the 5-zipper option to hopefully get some longevity out of them. I just hope they change the adhesives on the single tracks so others don’t experience the same problems I had.

8 Likes

@FieldEffect I got those snipps. Think they ll make it. Thank u so much. I ll keep u updated

9 Likes

It’d be cool if some company made lids that fit 5 gallon buckets that had those recesses in them for clone collars/pucks.

5 Likes

I use a hole saw to make 'em.

4 Likes

I made my own cloner like that simple and cheap. I actually ended up losing my storage unit with everything I owned after I got hurt at work. I ended up buying this DW cl9ner and its awesome . I was pushing out 28 rooted clones every 9 days from march to may . I may try a grow in it one day.

4 Likes

Hole saw to fit a 2" netpot w/ the bottom cut off and you can jam neoprene collars in them :+1:

but i know what ya mean… why isn’t anyone making this?

2 Likes

Watered for the first time since I popped the beans into the flats with very light Aqua Vega @ 6.0pH and EC of 500uS. Lid is loose on top, 80F cube temp, ~200umol light.

Well. Chocolopes aren’t exactly springing from their cubes. Perhaps I should have left them in their paper towel longer. :thinking:

Juicy Woo are 9/10 “above ground” so to speak.

@InTheWoods sorry to hear about your Grove troubles. I haven’t seen any defective zippers, and FWIW the amazon knockoffs actually seem quite well made, certainly no zipper issues there. I think its just a bad batch - I seem to recall someone else posting about zipper bonding issues. If I were at Grove I’d send you a set of replacements straight away. I can’t believe they wouldn’t just send you new ones without question. Their response should have been “we’ll look into that, send your address for us to ship replacements.”

13 Likes

When I was making my bubble cloner I couldn’t find my hole saw so I just used a sharp knife. Took awhile longer but it worked.

5 Likes

Live little chocolopes, live!

5 Likes

5 days buddy for the choco, with one outside. I will be ready to fish-back them to put them in a well h202ized paper towel (after checking if the shell is not too dark and too soft), after a diluted h202 bane ^^ Sensi made it to me lmao, my triggers are more sensitive and short.

5 Likes

@Fuel fuck I didn’t want to do embryo extraction hell :rofl:

But hey, maybe it will be rewarded with great plants like you got. Tonight I reread, tomorrow I operate :man_health_worker:

So, sterile instruments, tweezers of various varieties, scalpel, fresh H2O2 diluted. Remove beans from cubes, rinse/soak in dilute peroxide. Inspect, carefully de-shell. Re-install into the cubes. Water with dilute kelp and vitamins. Pray. Is that about the gist of it?

Please Jah, bless me with the steady hands required for this operation.

5 Likes

In my current round, only the JH are not embryos extracted ^^
Your process look good but i will suggest one or two things :

• Really putting them back in ziplock/paper towel after a good wash, just in working a bit the shell between the fingers. If nothing happen in twos days (max) … surgery ^^

• If direct extraction, the bad new is that you have to remove the cuticle and the endosperm as well. These twos last are the main source of worries, they turn bad quite fast and give pathogens to sprouts. Considering your skills in electronics, you have the gesture necessary. Don’t be afraid to take your time, they will not dry during the operation.

But once extracted, directly sow it (back) in one move. Removing endosperm is quite hardcore for the sprouts, they no longer have a backpack to reach the photosynthesis.

If you see that they are really tiny or badly developed, just make a clean cut on each sides in following the cotyledon from the base to the exterior. Then finish by the extremity with a third cut, to be sure that the cotyledon can “spread” to get light the faster possible.

If you have superthrive or similar, yup it help greatly. May Jah be with you, i hope you will be able to make a repro. Very good high interesting to “spice up” with treats.

5 Likes

Roger that.

Thank you for taking the time to write that up for me @Fuel :pray:

Pictures will be posted tomorrow. Hopefully it’s just opening the shells a bit and things are still in reasonable health. I do believe I have the dexterity and skill with tweezers to perform more involved operations if required. Just hope things are still viable :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Well, good and bad.

5 seeds were rotted, I stopped taking pictures after 2. Too late for these ones.

Those were all discarded, cube and all. Sterilize all equipment and move on to the next one.

4 beans were not rotted. I gave them the gentle roll/crack technique after washing, back into a paper towel with Super Thrive and a light dose kelp.

Some other cases. One was trapped in shell with good root popping out, de-shelled, washed, and replanted.

This one was less trapped but hung up. Removed one side of seed shell that appeared caught and letting recover with minimal proding.

So, it looks like there are 3 with real promise to be plants if I don’t fuck them up. 4 hopefuls. 5 in the trash.

11 Likes

Yea, I hear ya. Me too. But it’s the recessed part that I would like, or like to be able to replicate. Best I’ve seen is using netpots with the bottom cut off. Seems like a premade lid for 5 gallon buckets would be a neat idea.

4 Likes

Nice report on the surgery. Looks like you made it at the right moment to save some. Let say it’s a selection process and you’ll have the most resistant now :smiley:
I find it’s harder to sprout in the summer, when it’s hot, much less control on the temps, much easier for mold to come.

Nice rescue!

4 Likes