FieldEffect's Attempt to Grow Indoors

Doubt if too many folks recognize Peter Lorre these days.

4 Likes

I think we are a bit old! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I had no idea who Peter Lorre was, had to google it

Flew straight over my head.

4 Likes

Here’s another one from Peter…

4 Likes

His soft voice and slightly unhinged laugh has had a big effect in modern culture, influencing countless performances afterwards.

6 Likes

The two Desfrans popped right out of their shells. They are into cubes now.

The Haze Specials are more reluctant, cracked shells but not a bunch of exuberant tap roots like we all hope to see.

I watched a few youtube videos about Peter Lorre and his scenes, I can certainly see it being influential. :rofl:

8 Likes

The Maltese Falcon is an excellent Black & White film to watch on a relaxing Sunday if you’re into the old detective movies.

3 Likes

I’m thinking I’m the problem here. At least this time I’m not as worried about the outcome as I was with Chocolope. 3 days in the towel.

So, the routine is dampen the paper towel with a mix of dilute H2O2 (5:1 to 10:1) & a drop of SuperThrive. Bag it up and sit in dark 80F. Not dripping wet but damp.

Seems to have worked well for the past few years, but with these NLD beans I’m really having shit luck. Maybe just older stock. The Desfran and the Juicy Woo popped out vigorous, the Chocolope and Haze Special, well, it’s not going great.

Should I go to some of the other germination techniques? Maybe time to get a sprouter like @Fuel. I should put together a seed scuffer bottle with sandpaper too.

@Coda Maltese Falcon on the Amazon playlist for this afternoon, likely accompanied by a little Bahia Blackhead :sunglasses:

Went outside and neemed the outdoor plants. The new carbon scrubber box is getting installed on the tent today, it looks good. We’ll be ready to rock soon.

It looks like 7 of the Juicy Woo are in good shape. They had a rough time with my low humidity but I’ve been pushing them and 6 are strong. I think 8 are going to make it. The Chocolope, which I’m praying is a female, also doing well. Desfran are the yellow markers upper right, forcing their shells above the rockwool. I’ll send out some sex tests next week once these things are established.

I’ve got that Euforia Skunk freebie I may get wet, and some SAGE fems that are getting old. SAGE is another one I want to try at some point, may be a nice opportunity to pick a NLD expression to run outside next season. I’d like to pack the tent out with clones that will be in the 10-14 week range. My two remaining, firing neurons (the strong ones hopefully) are in a battle between packing out the tent and having a manageable number of cultivars. The Solo Cup challenge was fun and I am liking the variety I got from the last tent run.

10 Likes

Bad luck with sprouts lately :confused:

I’ve read here some saying that for some cultivars, some wet/dry cycles were helping them to sprout better. But no idea if that’s the case here. Old stock seems a better assumption, I don’t think your germination technique is the issue. Hope they won’t get attacked by pathogens. Maybe you’ll have to go full embryo extraction once again…

If that chocolope is a male, well, desfran x chocolope sounds like it could be some good shit.

I’ve always been wanting to try SAGE too, but I get the dilemma to have too many different cultivars, just went through the same one :laughing:

Have a good high and movie!

2 Likes

LOL @funkyfunk birds of a feather flock together I guess :rofl:

Fresh H2O2 vitamin solution this AM, and dryed off the old moisture blotting with a new paper towel. I was thinking this is like what Fuel said with practice seeds. Jah is giving me plenty of practice seeds :upside_down_face:

If the Haze Specials don’t turn the corner I’ll do the SAGE in their place.

Also, been looking at getting a small pollination tent running.

For reference, the white shelves have a width of 14". Unfortunately, I’m going to have to ditch the shelves to fit anything else in there. I’ll miss them but I can work around that.

It’s going to go in the same closet as my main tent, so I’m concerned about pollen control. I have enough space to fit a 16" x 16" tent on the left side if I slide the tent to the right a bit, but that’s right by the air intake for the main flower tent.

I could also slide the tent just to the left a few inches, I need to keep the zippers clear of the doors when they are slid to one side or the other. And for the small tent, I need to be able to open a corner for accessibility. Not just a side panel because several inches of the tent will be beyond the threshold of the door.

To the right, I’d have the benefit of not being near the air intake for the main tent. Disadvantage of making it a bit harder to get into my veg compartment.

To the left, I’d have the advantage of a straight shot to the ceiling for exaust. I do have a filter for intake air into the main tent.

This is the smallest tent I can really find. I may wind up making something.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FPV7JZQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

11 Likes

That’s pretty expensive practice seeds, jah ain’t cheap :laughing:

That’s great to see you’re getting forward on the polination box. Talking about dilemma! That’s a pretty tight space, but you’re doing that real good. Filters in the intake and all. I guess that’s your cabon box on the floor.

Looking forward how you’ll manage to put all that in that space. You’ll beat a record on numbers when breeding in a small place.

Beware though, the moving of the shelves and all your grow equipment stored there is another way to start filling your house with your grow :laughing:

3 Likes

Probably not @FieldEffect . I was part of a discussion yesterday about loss of germination vigor and the optimum time ranges for max potential germination vs storage techniques. Sometimes an older batch of seed, even when stored well, will lack germination vigor or the general will to live. The can crack and even poke out a small tail but stall and fail to progress for no apparent reason while the fresh seed jumps out of its husk and rockets up & down , all in the same flat.
I wouldn’t blame myself, if I was you. Seeds is funny sometimes.

And I’m stoked your trying the Desfran! I’m interested in the Destroyer and curious to see Dutch Passions take on it. Best of luck with your starts!!
:v::grin:

5 Likes

build out a fridge and put it in the shed. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My opinion : not impossible, you’re carefull and you are able to understand that a good timing in germinations can greatly help to avoid worries. You can even just backup in veg the clones to reproduce after the weed production … BUT ^^ you need to master the negative pressure as fuck.

I just give a stupid example that is only demonstrative. Let’s say the main and the poll tents are linked to the same extraction line, but with an intermediary valve.

Each time you have to open the pollination tent, you dial down the LED panel of the main, you switch the valve full throttle on the pollination-tent side the time to check/water/manipulate this space. Consider also that this space will be mostly used to dry your weed i guess, it will be locked for the repro 2 to 3 weeks per cycle at top if you play “real time”.

He have some luxury taste in general, i confirm lmao

Sativa-ish, regulars, not feminized for the most part … all reasons to last in retailer’s and even in breeder’s drawers a lot more that “seed-to-smoke”.

Big fan of the S&S but i guess it’s not a surprise ^^ Sage is too predictable and balanced, she need groovy spices (from my pov and for what’s it’s worth as a grid).

Not joking one second, i used this kind of scavenged freezer to set a vegetative space in a non-insulated garage at a time. Not easy to mod, but not a fancy idea either ^^

5 Likes

LOL “luxury taste” you may be right :rofl:

The Haze Special pack was $20, the Chocolope pack was expensive to lose unhappy about that one :upside_down_face:

I’m considering discussing placing the pollination tent in the bedroom. Intermittent duty. Going to wait for a good mood though. She’s currently upset not a good time to broach the topic.

It’ll be interesting, especially since I ordered some original Destroyer stock from Rafa. That’ll be another tent run certainly. Quite curious to see how the feminized Desfran and the regular, original Destroyer differ. Definately something to attempt with more seed sprouting practice under my belt.

If I do this it’ll be my drying cabinet.

Goes without saying. I had considered using the same primary exhaust with control valves, but the cost will actually work out similarly to having independent exhaust blowers/filters/ducts. Because the pollination tent would be less-utilized I’d just exhaust to the attic rather than through a vent. But certainly still with carbon scrubber and filter. I don’t want pollen outside either.

With seperate exhaust systems I’d crank the pollen tent exhaust anytime I’m working in the tents.

And, I have a dedicated drying system in the shed already. So no worries about tents being tied up with regards to drying.

I can’t say it is a surprise :joy:

Cheers guys!

12 Likes

This germination system works great for me. I have germinated seeds from 2015 with this method.

2 Likes

God i totally missed this. It’s just dope and overkill, i’m in love ^^
You can’t dodge to explain me what’s inside this “fridge container” just aside the plane’s model.

2 Likes

It’s full of water that I use to stabilize the temperature of the drying chamber.

The whole process is posted here, from inception to final form.

4 Likes

Impressive buddy, you don’t half-joke with drying damn Very smart build

2 Likes

I don’t half-joke with it, no :rofl:

I get really nice results with it. You can see how my technical nature expresses itself: like NL popping out of a hybrid you don’t want it in

3 Likes