First Grow - Here We Go - SPACE.U beans

Were you planning on an upgrade for flowering? I wonder if they will be adequate for veg.

2 Likes

@99PerCent, I originally purchased a 600W hps/mh light and thought it would be too much for the seedlings so I saw that some people were starting with these. I want to get something else and am open to any suggestions you might have. I was thinking about getting a inexpensive led but heard that might not be the best way to go. It just seemed that 600W was overkill at this stage.

I really thought the peat would pop earlier that the rockwool but not the case. I will wait on them a little longer and see wahat happens, if anything.

1 Like

600W HPS :thumbsup:

Veg Light might go with SolSticks.

I find Peat Pucks are more trouble than convenience. First, you have to check the pH. They usually arenā€™t cannabis ready and need pH down. Also, they tend to lock out Oxygen if they get too wet.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used peat pucks almost exclusively (for soil application) and would say, anecdotally, there is certainly variability from lot-to-lot. I donā€™t know what is varying. Maybe itā€™s the PH of the media from lot to lot (I did not test this, PH tested the water though). For instance, this year I had used a supply of peat pucks from differing lots and the germination time delta between the lots is obvious and significant (everything else being the same). Makes for a PITA.

So, yea, they are a bit worrisome. Although, despite the varying germination times, the final germination success rate seems perfectly fine to me.

What would you consider a better way to go? Rapid rooters?

2 Likes

I like to use the damp paper towel method, except I use a re-usable product called Sham Wow.

7 Likes

Straight to soil or rockwool after germination, then?

1 Like

As soon as the shell cracks, I plant them more than 1 inch deep. This insures the shell is removed on the way up and the root is set deep enough.

8 Likes

I like to start seeds in rapid rooters for the same reason. I wave less ā€œhelmet headā€ that way. Keeping them under a humidity dome for a couple of days seems to help too.

5 Likes

Do you ever have concern that the roots will reach the bottom of the pot too quick?

I mean obviously you can always pot them upā€¦ I guess a better question would be how long do you keep them in that container? Iā€™ve found that whenever I plant a seed with less than 2 inches of soil below it I have to transplant rather fast.

1 Like

@Viva_Mexico suggested I put my lights closer to my seedlings and I did so but the tallest seedling toppled over and is now laying on the ground. The leaves still looked good this morning so I didnā€™t move it. Was wondering if I should just leave it on itā€™s side or try to prop it up? It may be a moot point if I see it has started to die but just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to save it. As always, thanks for your advice and counsel.

1 Like

Just had that happen to me last week. In my case, I just propped the seedling up carefully with a lillipop stick and lightly secured the stem to it with horticulture tape. Growing strong and is self supporting again.

3 Likes

i keep my lights as high as they can go and let the plants grow in to them unless i see signs of stretching then iā€™ll lower it a bitā€¦ a little stretch on a seedling ainā€™t so bad cause you can bury it on transplant

oh i see now, ya that 1 stretched pretty good, i propped mine up with that thick green garden wire b4 like this

itā€™s most likely due to the light was a bit too strong, but if the stem is collapsed/withered and it wonā€™t stand back up it was damping off n its garbage

4 Likes

Is this a beautiful plant, or what? If you get tired of the pics just let me know and Iā€™ll tone it down.

11 Likes

Hereā€™s where we are at this evening. Iā€™ve got my 4 led bulbs pretty close to the seedlings and they have stopped stretching. Second set of leaves starting now. Wondering if there is anything else I should do right now? Is leaf color good? Do they need more light right now? the tent this evening so they can go in there when the time is right.Any and all comments welcomed.

SkyDog

4 Likes

Editing post 35 shroomgod

I might try to hang some sort of white paper to gently reflect all of that precious light back to the plants. Tin foil might be too much, it can create hot spots with strong enough lights (??), however, you might benefit from some form of light curtain.

1 Like

Good Idea. Thanks, @99PerCent. I also added another light bulb last night. Now I have 4 soft white and one daylight bulb. How big do you suggest they should be before I put them in the grow tent with the MH/HPS light?

1 Like

I like to use white plastic shower curtain liners to reflect light wherever I need to.
They are flexible and inexpensive.

Good luck with your babies @SkyDog.

5 Likes

There is a chance the transition will be rough. Start the HPS very far from these once you make the move to avoid burn and shock. I would let them get to about the 5th node or so and maybe finish vegging under the HPS, to try beef em up a little before flip. I guess see how they are doing. Letā€™s apply some LITFA now.

2 Likes

Gotcha! Iā€™m an old bit head. I need to remember the KISS method. Thanks for the wisdom.