First Grow - Here We Go - SPACE.U beans

FWIW, I put my seedlings under the very brightest light that I have available.
I have never used LEDs (other than cheapie screw ins).
I have dimmable ballasts for my HIDs but have never dimmed them.
Whenever possible (depending upon where I am growing) I put my seedlings under the sun outdoors ASAP.
Here is a seedling which popped thru the soil yesterday.
Under the sun outside today…cloudy day here…rats!

ETA:
That seedling is the only one which is viable thus far in my mass germination effort with @Scissor-Hanz notoriously difficult to germinate Head Band seeds. I used styrofoam egg carton cells in order to maximize the number of seeds in my attempt, using the least amount of space and smallest quantity of seed starter mix

9 Likes

Nice!!! @Calyxander… How many did you try? I gifted about half of mine but I got one to pop from around 40 seeds. It’s about 3 weeks old rn.

1 Like

My plants go right under my COBs. 200w, 5 weeks 4-5 days into flower, as well as seedling pics:

7 Likes

Looking good. I think I let mine stretch a bit too much the first few days. I’d feel a lot better if they were shorter like the ones you pictured but it is what it is. Grow baby, grow!

3 Likes

I honestly attribute that to the high light intensity exposure throughout the lifecycle. I think the PPFD of 200w of COBs might have forced it to stay short and grow outward. I can’t say if that’s the case, but all of my plants get stocky like that.

16 Likes

Well well.
Coincidentally, I planted about 40 seeds also. I put roughly 100 in water to soak for around 24 hrs. Then put them all in moist paper towels. I ony put the ones that cracked open into the medium, I also put two to three seeds into each little hole.
So far that is the only seedling. Maybe more will pop up, maybe not.

2 Likes

I guess I got lucky getting 6 to pop from the rockwool cubes. Unfortunately, all six in the peat pucks did nothing.

1 Like

Strange… My method was peroxide and water for 24, the paper towel til a crack then peat and perlite… Guess Rockwood was the way to go.

My understanding is that you began with
@99PerCent seeds

I am referring specifically to @Scissor-Hanz wickedly stubborn, germination resistant Head Band seeds.
I knew that they would be tough to get seedlings from, so I used techniques that I never do. I typically put my seeds directly into the medium. But I knew that I needed to use a different procedure for these pesky HB seeds.
I can’t believe that I am happy with only one(so far).:crossed_fingers:

Look here:

1 Like

I believe you’re right @Calyxander about 99% giving him the beans he’s flowering now but he had also tried Scissor-Hanz hard beans as well…

You are correct. I misunderstood and thought they were the same as I had.

1 Like

He we grow again…

4 Likes

Although I did not use them with my current veggie, flower, herb grow, I have used Jiffy 7 peat pellets many times. They work well for germinating many different types of seeds, but not very well for cannabis seeds, IME?

However, I use them to root cannabis cuttings with great ease and success.

1 Like

Good to know. I’ve heard several others claim that the Jiffy Pellets are not very consistent from batch to batch for germinating, but since I have a bunch I will probably try for cuttings. Waste not, want not…

You sound like me :laughing:

Maybe try to correct the pH as you set your seed.

1 Like

What I find useful in this stage of plant life is a small fan on the plants to help them grow stronger. Not sure if you have one or not but may help with the stretching and making the plant over all more hardy.

3 Likes

That’s a good piece of advice. I’ve got a ceiling fan going 24x7 now. I found the sweet spot with these lights at about 1 inch above the plants and they have stopped stretching and are spreading out. Have a couple of them propped up right now until the trunks are stronger.

1 Like

Keep the air moving on these. They will strengthen out of necessity. Use soil to prop them up too.

2 Likes

I agree 100% with what you say 99%.

1 Like