First posting on OG (n00b put 1000w in a 2x4)

What’s up guys, I’m new here. Been reading through some threads and everyone seems super nice and haven’t seen much in the trolling department! Not too sure how to connect with folks on here, I guess it’s up to you to respond? Like I said, I’m new to this, new to social media, I just love to grow. So a little bit about my setup…
In my apartment ( oklahoma) I can only run a 2x4x6 tent right now cause I’m positive the apt mgmt would object to what’s goin on, even tho I’m a legal patient in a legal state… I digress… in my secret tent I am currently running a single Dark Ghost Train [Grape Ape x Ghost Train Haze] in my own supersoil mix in a 10 gal pot. (At the lake right now, will post pics when I get back tonite) it’s running under a Electric Sky 180 rn for veg and im hoping to get an ES300 for flower to have a nicer yield. I have ran 2 5 gal pots in there before (autos) and had success. They turned out pretty huge for autos, both were close to 48" tall. Blueberry(dutch passion) and Kings Kush (GHSC) . I used only fox farm soil and nutes on that run (1st grow) and had a lot of issues, as expected. After that run I did a single auto NYC Diesel (Barneys) in ocean forest only again with dry amendments and grew some pretty decent flower with some alright smell and taste but I knew I could do better with drying to get a better result. So between this NYC run and my current DGT run, there was a City Slicker run. I got 2 female clones from a buddy who couldn’t finish them. He gave them to me ready to flip into flower. I flowered the City Slicker [ Gelato and I think Stardawg] for about 6 weeks. I wanted to try a 1000w hps light in my 2x4 for flower( yes, I am now laughing at me too… smh) and had a ton of issues with temp and RH control, pH problems, and the final straw was the poor airflow leading to powdery mildew. While trying to fix all these issues in week 6 in an apt complex, it got smelly very quickly. I got larger ducting and inline fans installed. I did everything I could to get it all under control but even after installing the new ducting,fans,carbon filter, it still smelled up my apt, and it was starting to be pretty noticeable from the parking lot, 35 yards away. I had to pull the plug on those :frowning: sad day. But since that run I’ve learned a lot about what went wrong and how it went wrong and how to avoid it. A lot of it boiled down to me being lazy as a grower and kinda cocky about my NYC diesel turning out pretty decent. I thought I could turn on autopilot as a rookie and learned quickly this is not the case. I also did a lot of research on microbiology in soil, cannabis breeding, phenohunting etc and really enjoyed it. I have begun collecting what I believe to be high quality genetics from reputable breeders. Recently I got #1. Tangie regs (CFF)
#2. Ghost Train Haze #1 regs (RareDankness)
#3. DJ short Blueberry F5 regs (OldWorldGenetics)
#4. Alien Rift IBL (Ocean Grown) not sure how many of these or if reg/fem ?
They just got delivered so I will get them tonite when I get back and update this. I plan on doing a breeding project with some of these strains when I move out and expand my grow setup. I have a few more strains I plan on collecting as mothers to then take the Male pollen from some of these #1-4 strains and crossing them and lookin for a superstar. Some of the mothers I was considering were:
Cherry Pie
Purple Urkle
Wedding Cake (new from Barneys)
Lemon Thai
Putang (massmedical) and all the freebies that you get with big orders.
What would you guys like to see? Ask me questions about how I grow. I look forward to hearing from you!

Also sidenote: I also tried a Black Dog LED 1000w light in my 2x4 lol
Major fail, my plants were instantly screaming no no no. So whenever I’m able to expand my grow space, I have 2 awesome 1000w lights to experiment with right away. Will be doing a side by side comparison grow, so stay tuned for that one.

22 Likes

Hi @anon80727880, welcome to OverGrow.

Funny that. There is a definite balancing act at play. I, myself, am also lazy so I’ve mostly gotten the LITFA (@ReikoX, a premium product) thing down. Most work, I’ve found, is inspecting and taking care of any insects that take resident. And, the subsequent IPM. At least for the soil grows.

New set-ups take a bit of attention and tweaking.

That’s a nice fixture. What happened? Too much light, too hot? Dimmable?

That’ll be neat. Looking forward to it.

6 Likes

If there was ever gonna be an Overgrow hall of fame from the orginal site your user name would be on the retired jersey wall thought we had the real :ghost: in the house for a second

2 Likes

So the plant was only like 3 weeks in so pretty unstable still, just more than seedling. It got too hot and stayed hot. I was also using supplemental CO2 canister I think it was just way too much way too fast. I think maybe if I put it in during flower when the plant is more established and showing healthy growth, I may have a better result. In my last grow of city slickers, I had my 1000w hps dimmed to 600w and it was manageable in the tent (must’ve been good genetics cause it was 80-88 degrees daily with no visible stress). This black dog 1000w doesn’t have a dimmer so it’s full power when you plug it in… only a few more months and I’ll be moved into a larger space and can have a larger tent for larger lights :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Oh… I didnt realize my name had legendary status behind it… I hope im not intruding or stepping on anyone’s toes here. I chose my name based on my situation right now, I need to remain a ghost to not have my job catch on to what I do in my free time. My job doesn’t recognize cannabis as a medicine, even though the state clearly has. If I test positive for THC, I’m axed. Even with my medical card. Hence the simple name, ghost. Now I’m kinda interested in this original ghost… who’s he/she?

3 Likes

Naw your good Google ghost og I’m also in a medical state that doesn’t require Jobs to recognize marijuana as a legitimate medicine sucks but better than a illegal state :grin: welcome to Overgrow

3 Likes

Oh wow. Yeah I think I’m gonna see if the site will let me change my name. I was familiar with the strain, I didn’t know the origin of the name though… definitely not clout chasing. I appreciate the history lesson! Ya learn something new every day.

2 Likes

Didn’t mean to come off abrasive or to have you change your name just had to take a second look lol

2 Likes

No man not a problem at all! Im positive you saved a lot of confusion on my end. If you thought it was someone else, I’m sure others would’ve followed suit so crisis averted :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @anon80727880: )

3 Likes

Welcome aboard :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

2 Likes

Wow! So you ran 1000 Watts LED light in a 2x4 feet tent! That’s like about 120 Watts of actual power draw per square foot. Also considering that LED lights nowadays are more efficient than HPS, this is going overboard, but you know what, I like the idea!

I’m trying a setup right now in which I will provide about 110 Watts of LED actual power draw per square foot. I will post about it in here some time in the future.

My thinking, and you can disagree, is that other than the issue of temp control, trying to cram so much light in so little of a space is that soil grow won’t be up for the task. My previous experience into trying to cram so much light in my hydroponic sytem led to instant malnutrition of the plant. I initially thought that the lights were just too powerful or that the EC is too high or that the PH is not stable but after several agonizing trials I tried “doubling” the nutes concentration and to my surprise everything went fine. Also the plants were sucking water from my hydroponic setup like crazy! and that’s why I say soil won’t be a good contender for such overpowering light because the plants will need much more water and nutes that I believe soil can’t provide. Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

6 Likes

@Mohamed very interesting theory. I think you are on to something there… it makes sense hydro would do better than soil, maybe DWC would do even better??? I’m very excited to see what happens for you! And thank you very much for dropping some experience on the rest of us. So many different styles of growing out there, glad to see someone grind through trial and error and end up finding something that finally works for them. Props to you Mohamed :fist_right::fist_left:

1000w in a 2x4 is doable for sure. Just need an aircooled hood, good airflow, and a full size carbon filter. 600w would be less wasteful, though. You’re gonna wanna run shorter plants or get very good at height management. Making it work can teach a lot, though.

If it can be done well in a 3x3, a 2x4 is possible.

5 Likes

Yeah even if you keep the temps under control they may still foxtail I recently ran 320 at the wall watts LED in a 2x2 I wouldn’t suggest it though I’m doing it again lol

3 Likes

Thanks! My hydro setup was DWC actually and it was fine till I changed it to Ebb and Flow as it’s much easier, at least for me! And although the lights were powerful, I didn’t get near the 120 Watts per square foot.

What I’m trying at the moment can be considered crazy by all means but I like crazy ideas :smile:. So I finished building a very small experimental tent 1 ft x 1.3 ft x 5 ft (oh you and your imperial system :smile:, it is 30cm x 40cm x 150cm for me) and I have a 140 Watts actual power LED that I’m going to use in there which will amount to about 110 Watts per square foot.

But that’s all fine till now, the crazy part is that I made the tank with 18 holes so I will try to cram 18 small rooted clones in this tiny 1x1.3 ft space and go directly into flowering. My setup is Ebb and Flow btw.

This unproven theory of mine goes something like this… what if I try to make these small clones flower much earlier by going to 10 On/14 Off or even 9 On/15 Off light cycle while providing the clones with the same DLI (daily light integral) as they would have received under a normal 12/12 light cycle by using a much more intense light! Well… that’s what I’m going to try very soon! Obviously I’m trying to make up for the diminished yields by flowering 18 plants in this tiny space. Each plant, I presume, will be tiny under this setup.

1 Like

That’s the spirit :laughing:.

1 Like

Nice!!! Just fyi, when an LED lists 1000W, it’s VERY much lower than that. My best guess is that it draws between 400-600W truly.

2 Likes

If it’s listed at a 1000 you would be lucky to pull 200 watts read through some of the mars hydro stuff it’s actually pretty funny most of the time actual wall draw will be listed somewhere in the ad normally in small letters in the middle of a paragraph

4 Likes

Yup. My mars ts1000 draws 150W. Many are more efficient, Black Dog included. I doubt it would be as low as mine.

FWIW, the mars hydro does exactly what it’s meant to do as long as you don’t try to replace a 1000W HID :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes